We Should Do An RVG Of The Month

Soulstation1

I do too. One reason: everyone is likely to have a copy! Some of those AOW are obscure or are likely not to be in most people's collections.

Yes, this is my problem. Some of the AOWs have become too darned obscure. I'm sitting here with all but two of the RVGs. However, not many of the AOW titles.

I agree with ss1, a monthly cycle would be a good amount of time for a series of reviews per selected RVG title.

I'm in the same boat as wesbed. I've only been growing my jazz collection for a few years. There's still a ton of things I need to buy (thanks to everyone for all of the recommendations). But I do have most of the RVGs. I'd be willing (and in this case able) to participate. I think the reviewing timeframe as discussed is about right. Good idea ss1. :tup

I'm down with this thought as well. Face it, most of us (to the derision of some) are "blue note queers." Blue Note rules. RVG rules. Two great things that go great together. I'd be into seeing some discussion on these classics. And lord knows most on this board have these in their collection. That right there is a good enough reason for this to happen.

This doesn't even have to be "pinned" or official. Someone could just pick an RVG, start a thread and dive in.

I say since Soulstation1 came up with the idea, SS1 should get the first pick.

We could post it in the AoTW section of the forum and use the same method to choose the following month's selections (the shoulder tap).

We have done a couple of RVG's as Album of the Week, so whoever gets the pick, should review the previous AoTW selections.

:tup

I'm for it. The old BNBB had its RVG thread, and why not bring that back?

Because there is a lot more to the art form than what was recorded by one engineer for one label more than thirty years ago?

Sorry. I know that I am the lone voice on this side of the issue and I am not one of the board's elite, but this is not the BNBB. So why do I often get the feeling we are trying to recreate the BNBB under the guise of organissimo?

Please don't forget that there is a growing number of members on this board, and I'm guessing that at least a few of them, like myself, are relatively new to jazz.

Sure, it's “safe”, and there is most definitely more to the art than old RVG recordings, but I would think most everyone would agree that there's a whole bunch of great music in that series.

I still think this RVG thread is a great idea – I only have around 20 or so, and I'm very interested in reading other people's opinions about the ones I already have, and also the ones I don't. It's similar to what Chuck wrote with regard to the AOW -- even if I don't buy the RVG, I'll learn from the discussions.

I'm sure yet another discussion of RVG's sounds old and tired to many of you BNBB veterans, but please, “remember the newbies”.

-- Mark

You are right. Just ignore my frustrated rants.

Actually, both you and Chuck make good points.

My suggestion would be to have the RVG of the month along with the AOW along with the Greazy selection of the month, along with the new artist of the month or whatever. Should be space for all. No one should feel excluded.

I dig the idea. But an RVG AOW might be a bit much imho. I would be happier with an RVG thread that just puts up a title with "let the games begin"-type attitude.

Over-formalizing might crowd the AOW scene, which might not be cool. But I'm all for talking about RVGs. They're good meat and potatoes. Stuff everyone should be familiar with no matter what side of the jazz coin your tastes land on.

I think it is much more interesting to discuss recordings everyone doesn't have. This gives us a chance to stretch. Why pat each other on the back for "old friends"? Sounds too safe to me (for AOW) and we have these discussions already.

Even if I don't buy the AOW I learn from the discussions.

I've learned a lot from the Album of the Week discussions too. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to pick up a lot of the albums, but I'm glad it still goes on. I think there is room for any album that is picked. If someone wants to do an old warhorse, that's cool. If someone else wants to take us into new territory, that's great too.

I just wish I had more money. :(

I think an RVG of the Month would be fun. I'm looking forward to the first pick. :tup

I also like Conn's suggestion of the Greazy selection of the month! This is a great idea and this is the place to do it. :D

Well, you guys should do what the hell you want, and this is just my opinion, but...

I don't understand the need to classify a thread or forum just for RVG-Edition Album of the Month, Week, or Decade. By doing that it seems you are giving too much free advertising. I think you should keep RVG discussion to re-issue or general AOW forum threads.

And so what if established classics are discussed in AOW? They are not quite 'old friends' to all of us, especially newbies. And it's possible that new things can learned even if you've heard an album a 100 times, especially if someone gives a well written essay on their impressions. And who knows what stories or experiences can spawn from such threads. Different or better sound can change perspective too. If you don't like what's being discussed, ignore the thread. Most of the AOWs, as a relative newbie, don't interest me that much to be honest.