FT Roland Kirk Mercury Box Set

Looking to trade for a Mosaic box set.

Will trade for Four Freshman Mosaic box (preferred)

Also Jackie Mclean box set.

Will listen to offers.

I already have the following:

Mosaics

Jazz Crusaders

Lee Morgan

Stanley Turrentine

Horace Parlan

JJ Johnson

Sam Rivers

Curtis Fuller

Gerald Wilson

Farmer/Golson Jazztet

Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams

Lou Donaldson

Woody Shaw

Hank Mobley

so none of those would be of interest.

Thanks

Guest Bill Barton

I've owned this set since shortly after it was released and it is the ONE thing that I'd HAVE to bring to that fabled desert island. Best wishes to all who are vying for the trade...

I've owned this set since shortly after it was released and it is the ONE thing that I'd HAVE to bring to that fabled desert island. Best wishes to all who are vying for the trade...

Bill, do you consider these recordings more essential than the later Atlantic recordings?

Guest Bill Barton

Bill, do you consider these recordings more essential than the later Atlantic recordings?

Yes.

I'm not Bill obviously, but in my mind there isn't even the slightest question about it: YES.

Granted I'm not a fan of most of the Atlantic stuff, but I don't see how any of those records can stand alongside the likes of We Free Kings or Rip, Rig, and Panic.

Agreed. There are bonafide gems among the Atlantics. But if the Mercury box had only the sessions you mention included it would still be essential.

It's hard to say. From the box set, I really like "We Free Kings," "Domino," "Slightly Latin" and "Live in Copenhagen." I don't believe the other cds in the box are essential. I do like the Atlantic stuff, but it is very uneven.

Yeah, the stuff with Quincy Jones in the box is mainly pretty forgettable, but it's only a small percentage of the total. For my taste, the Mercury material tops the list, with the Atlantics not far behind.

I'd take the Atlantic first, then go back for the Mercury. The Atlantic is where his individual vision really shines out, to me. And I like them all.

You have a point there regarding individuality, though it seems to me that the Atlantics are almost as much about Joel Dorn's personality as they are about Rahsaan's personality. And that's not meant to be a dis.

...it seems to me that the Atlantics are almost as much about Joel Dorn's personality as they are about Rahsaan's personality. And that's not meant to be a dis.

Not taken as one, but I think that in all probability Dorn made Rahsaan feel comfortable being Rahsaan in the studio (what any good producer should do, really), and once that happened...

Guest Bill Barton

...it seems to me that the Atlantics are almost as much about Joel Dorn's personality as they are about Rahsaan's personality. And that's not meant to be a dis.

Not taken as one, but I think that in all probability Dorn made Rahsaan feel comfortable being Rahsaan in the studio (what any good producer should do, really), and once that happened...

Yeah, one of the hippest and most artistically fruitful musician/producer teams in history. Some of the Dorn stories in John Kruth's Rah bio are wild... Like a marriage, they had their ups and downs.

My apologies to connoisseur series500 for derailing this thread; I hope that you find someone with a good trade.

Another thought that occurred to me is this: Many folks on the board are heavily into the Blue Note material, hard bop, and a more straight-ahead approach than the Black Classical Music of the Atlantic era. If there's anybody left in the "jazz" world who still thinks Rah was a gimmick-monger the Mercury recordings, especially Rip, Rig & Panic, are the places to start. The man could play. He could swing you into bad health then turn around and caress a ballad on tenor and bring tears to your eyes. Here Comes the Whistleman on Atlantic shows this depth too, but the Mercury albums are the ones where it is most evident.

Edited by Bill Barton