Steve Hoffman Forum

felser

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About what? Presumably it wasn't a jazz related question because....well, because all of those questions could be answered here, no? I wouldn't call the place a joke when it comes to rock related questions....there are alot of people over there who know their s***. Sooooooo, you were asking something about an upcoming trip to Bratislava and seeking a list of hotels that have Pioneer 'Kuro' plasma sets in the rooms...and couldn't get an answer? Yeah, that place sucks when you're looking for that kind of info. :P

Rock-related (and you need to use hyphens between word pairs that are used as adjectives) questions are of no interest to me.

That Website is a joke.

I'm no fan of the place, but ....

If rock-related quations are of no interest to you, then you are hardly in a position to judge whether it is a joke or not.

I've actually found it useful many times for non-jazz issues, even if I don't dig the culture.

Why not just say "it's not for me"?

Edited by kenny weir

If rock-related quations are of no interest to you, then you are hardly in a position to judge whether it is a joke or not.

I've actually found it useful many times for non-jazz issues, even if I don't dig the culture.

You and I can have this disagreement here.

Over there, one of us would have been banned. Hopefully I would have been.

That's one reason. There are others.

You and I can have this disagreement here.

Over there, one of us would have been banned. Hopefully I would have been.

That's one reason. There are others.

I hear you - personally, I have no time for a place that bans discussions of a poltical or religious nature, and despite the grief those topics can cause.

as I sed, as a reference I've found it useful.

It was this comibination:

Rock-related (and you need to use hyphens between word pairs that are used as adjectives) questions are of no interest to me.

That Website is a joke.

... that I found jarring.

If you have other issues, I understand.

dude u guys are talking some SMAZ-OODLE// what on heaven on earth are you erupting about!?? i have learned so much from the SH brd and they have answered questions about sensitive musical topics ive had for YEARS such as which pressing of Suppers ready is the most awesome, did someone in particular ruffle your feathers, did somone say something you didnt like about Fleetwood Mac? Well the answer to your question is Tango In The Night. Greatest cd mastering after enya

Chewy, take two needle drops and call me in the morning.

Actually, the site does have its positive aspects. Where else can you view photos of famous people who really weren't, where else can you find so much said about so little.

Actually, I can sift through that nonsense to find the meat, but those so-called "gorts" need to get re-hab'ed for their obsessive use of censorship padlocks. What the hell are these people afraid of? :crazy:

Actually, I can sift through that nonsense to find the meat, but those so-called "gorts" need to get re-hab'ed for their obsessive use of censorship padlocks. What the hell are these people afraid of? :crazy:

As I said elsewhere on this forum, the Hoffman forum is not a more or less independent site where everyone can say (within reason) what they like; its main purpose is to promote Hoffman's interests in the music biz, and to protect his interests the moderators have set up an extensive and extremely strict book of rules. I think the moderation and some of the rules over there are over the top and I have told them so a few times - not that it made any difference, of course.

Other things I don't like over there (to put it mildly) are the number of stupid and silly threads and posts and the extreme idolatry and sycophancy; it's not the exclusive domain of the Hoffman site, of course, but I find it sickening. Nowadays I only go there for info on music I'm interested in.

Edited by J.A.W.

I have very mixed feelings about that board. Yes, you can find lots of information there (and there are lots of people who are very passionate about music, which I like), but ...

a) it is becoming increasingly difficult to find the right information. No matter what recording you want info on, there are always two or three camps that give it 100% or ... 0%. Very confusing at times. You basically have to adopt one camp to be able to sift through the info.

b) I understand (somewhat) that Hoffman needs to keep a tight reign on his forum because of his own interests, but why have a super-huge forum that will (!) get increasingly "dangerous" for you and your business interests the more people you let in there? That place is huge. If he was really interested in protecting his interests, I think he should delete it. I guess his ego won't allow that though.

c) If you keep a tight reign on a forum, you could at least have one single thread or some notification about what you are deleting to keep people up to date. There is so much deleting going on there constantly that bookmarks won't work long and you get totaly confused about things you read a few seconds before they completely disappeared (single posts or whole threads). It is exactly this clandestine behavior that I absolutely hate, especially becuase oftne what is deleted was viable information and just simply not up one gort's or Hoffman's alley.

I'm using the forum less and less because I simply don't feel like searching for stuff all the time that has simply been deleted.

Cheers!

I learn a lot of useful information from that forum. I appreciate that passionate audiophiles talk about how the music sounds, even if it is not music that I'm personally into. Some of those cats have far better gear than I will ever own, but I find their insights helpful, whether as mere information or opinion. It is a nice place.

I wouldn't call the place a joke when it comes to rock related questions....there are alot of people over there who know their s***.

That Website is a joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#v=FdqqSUu5ggU&feature=related

Nope....not true. If you have the right card in your wallet you're exempt from all rules relating to grammar and punctuation. It's in the manual....look it up.

The only forum that has banned me, just because I called out Hoffman because he said that Monk played the way he did because of his "mental illness." Anyway, I'm back on, and I do go there for rock information for bands until 1976, for rock after that, it gets rather contentious. I have to admit, the whole "I can't listen to A Hard Day's Night because of the first six seconds" thread is a little much. Caveat Emptor applies in this case...

All I would add is that in an online community that big, there are bound to be some wingnut posters and threads. Some of the obsessive stuff about "weakest link" in a particular recording, bickering about waveforms, etc. seems like it would fit right into the Onion...you wonder how they could possibly be serious, or have enough time on their hands to obsess over such matters..

But there are also some knowledgeable folks who post, and some good info to be found in the archives. And say what you will about some of the over-the-top focus on early CD pressings, the fact that there is so much discussion and negative press regarding the "loudness wars" is a good thing, IMO.

All right.

In fairness, my statement was based on a few threads that have interested me, that had to do with equipment and/or certain re-mastered CDs. In each case, either Hoffman or one of his goons chimed in with the definitive, conversation-ending opinion, and that was that.

As for the rest of the Website, I suppose it's useful if you care about which Steve Miller or Fleetwood Mac CDs have the best sound, but I have no interest in that.

As for the promoting-Hoffman's-career/product angle, there are other message boards built around a similar model, but which tolerate dissenting views if they are expressed politely and thoughtfully.

So, between all of this, I have deemed the site useless from my perspective. Obsessive audiophiles and members of the Hoffman congregation may feel otherwise, and I'm glad they have a corner of the internet where they can all marinade together.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Hm, it seems to me that bashing other fora is still a popular sport here, be it AAJ or the Hoffman site - and yes, I am also guilty as hell :)

Although I've done my share of bashing those fora here, on second thoughts I don't really see the point; just don't go there if they annoy you so much. What's the use of moaning about them here? It'll lead to nothing but useless discussions and it'll change nothing...

Hm, it seems to me that bashing other fora is still a popular sport here, be it AAJ or the Hoffman site - and yes, I am also guilty as hell :)

Although I've done my share of bashing those fora here, on second thoughts I don't really see the point; just don't go there if they annoy you so much. What's the use of moaning about them here? It'll lead to nothing but useless discussions and it'll change nothing...

Not only that, but this silly thread keeps bumping out my "for sale" thread. Enough already! ;)