Happy birthday Dexter Gordon- 87 today

Hardbopjazz

My first "I gotta find everything he recorded" artist and also the first whose death really bummed me out. I'll be spinning some Dex and remembering when I first discovered him and all of it was new.

I think I might go with One Flight Up because that one was rare in the CD age but I was lucky to get it a cheap Liberty pressing in 1988 at Vintage Vinyl. And Swiss Nights Volume 3 with Dex singing Jelly Jelly. :wub:

Dex my man

We were not close friends, but we were friends, always fun to be together with him and spending time with him, oh those Montmartre days, I can see him before me shaking his knees when blowing his brains out. Looking af him right now at a photo he gave me with a dedication, it's on my wall.

Vic

I recently downloaded the 3 Dex albums recorded at the Montmartre in 1967, that were released by Black Lion ("Body And Soul," "Both Sides of Midnight," and "Take The A Train"). This is some of my favorite Dex. The man was on fire back then.

There is/was a 4th disc from this date issued on Jazz Colours. Great stuff.

Dex my man

We were not close friends, but we were friends, always fun to be together with him and spending time with him, oh those Montmartre days, I can see him before me shaking his knees when blowing his brains out. Looking af him right now at a photo he gave me with a dedication, it's on my wall.

Vic

what wonderful memories you have! i will always love LTD!

wish i could get my hands on some of those old Montmartre posters from the '50s or the '60s.

One of my favorite stories came from the late Carl Bernhard.

Carl lived Oslo. He took a ferry one day to Copenhagen and knocked on the door to Dexter's apartment. Dexter opened the door and gestured with his index finger to come in. They walked into a room where Dexter had a bar. Dexter opened a new bottle of Beefeaters gin and they started to drink. It wasn't till two thirds of the bottle was finished, when Dexter finally spoke. "How you doing Carl?"

I love this story.

Time to pull out the movie Round Midnight.

One of my photos from the Vanguard:

437176002_8a2e7709d2.jpg

Do you recall what year this was?

Edited by Hardbopjazz

My first "I gotta find everything he recorded" artist and also the first whose death really bummed me out. I'll be spinning some Dex and remembering when I first discovered him and all of it was new.

I think I might go with One Flight Up because that one was rare in the CD age but I was lucky to get it a cheap Liberty pressing in 1988 at Vintage Vinyl. And Swiss Nights Volume 3 with Dex singing Jelly Jelly. :wub:

And again, eternal thanks to you for letting me have his A DAY IN COPENHAGEN (MPS), a great '69 session that features Slide Hampton and Dizzy Reece along with Dex. Every cut's a winner.

I recently downloaded the 3 Dex albums recorded at the Montmartre in 1967, that were released by Black Lion ("Body And Soul," "Both Sides of Midnight," and "Take The A Train"). This is some of my favorite Dex. The man was on fire back then.

There is/was a 4th disc from this date issued on Jazz Colours. Great stuff.

And what would be the title of that set........

Funny, I just played "Round Midnight" for the lads who hang out at my place. They were on their laptops, pretending not to be listening, but every now and then they would imitate some of the lines in the movie, and hum along with the tunes. One of them asked who the tall black guy was.