Dexter Blows Hot and Cool

Tom 1960

61Q2BQKNC9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Any thoughts on this release? I realise Dexter recorded only a handful of sessions during the 1950's and while I understand it can't possibly match his later Blue Note material, I'm curious. I'm especially interested since Carl Perkins is on the date, a fav of mine. Can't get enough of that guy!

Edited by Tom 1960

That's one of the most heroin records I've ever heard. Seriously.

I take this to mean that extreme heroin use is in evidence in the grooves? Does this mean that everyone was wasted? Or is it simply a reference to the prevalence of heroin use among the players? Is the playing sloppy because of heroin use? I'd really like to know what you mean by "most heroin records".

I think this is the second best 50s Dexter recording, behind Daddy Plays the Horn with Kenny Drew (granted its a small group of 50s recordings, but those two records are awfully good, imo). If you dig Carl Perkins, its a no-brainer to snap this one up, Tom.

61Q2BQKNC9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Any thoughts on this release? I realise Dexter recorded only a handful of sessions during the 1950's and while I understand it can't possibly match his later Blue Note material, I'm curious. I'm especially interested since Carl Perkins is on the date, a fav of mine. Can't get enough of that guy!

It's an OK record. Songs are on the short side. Dex's sound is midway between his '40's sides and his Blue Notes, and the tunes are upbeat. As you say, there's not much mid-50's Dex available, so you might as well complete your collection.

Let me put in a good word for the Stan Levey date, "This Time The Drum's On Me" (Bethlehem). Great Dex, and really nice arrangements for a sextet. A lot more polished than the other 2 dates.

I take this to mean that extreme heroin use is in evidence in the grooves? Does this mean that everyone was wasted? Or is it simply a reference to the prevalence of heroin use among the players? Is the playing sloppy because of heroin use? I'd really like to know what you mean by "most heroin records".

Not sloppy, just....loaded. The whole thing feels like junkie to me, just the energy level, the playing, everything. There's a "dullness" there, everywhere, that bespeaks of guys not worrying about the high taking precedence over the music. Always a risk with getting high on anything, really, but smack? From what I've seen, you gotta be really focused to ride that high and handle the music equally. It's a really fine line to walk, let me put it that way. Getting high to block out the distractions and getting high just for the sake of the high...you gotta be really careful how you roll on that one, and some days will be better than others, especially as time goes by.

Note that "heroin" doesn't necessarily indicate a "bad" record", as there are some really good records that have that same heroin/junkie vibe (Miles' Dig session springs immediately to mind). But this is not on that level, not even remotely, and although this Dexter thing is not a bad record per se, I think it's probably the last, or among the last, "official" Dexter records that anybody "needs" to have.

I think this is the second best 50s Dexter recording, behind Daddy Plays the Horn with Kenny Drew (granted its a small group of 50s recordings, but those two records are awfully good, imo). If you dig Carl Perkins, its a no-brainer to snap this one up, Tom.

That's good enough for me, Dan. Like I said, I have no expectations that it even comes close to his 60's Blue Notes of which I own all of them. I'm cool with that. The Stan Levey date I already own and agreed is a good one. At some point I'm gonna get Daddy Plays The Horn also. Thanks for the help guys.

While I wouldn't consider this one of Dexter's best recordings, this one has long had a special appeal for me.

One reason is the very few sessions by Dexter in that time period. A second reason is Carl Perkins. Perkins

unfortunately died much too soon and his recorded output is rather small. I always loved his playing.

Finally I sense a 'mellowness" in this session that may be related to what Jim refers to as the Heroin

influence. That feeling that comes through here is, for me, a nice one. I like this one.

It's an OK record. Songs are on the short side. Dex's sound is midway between his '40's sides and his Blue Notes, and the tunes are upbeat. As you say, there's not much mid-50's Dex available, so you might as well complete your collection.

Let me put in a good word for the Stan Levey date, "This Time The Drum's On Me" (Bethlehem). Great Dex, and really nice arrangements for a sextet. A lot more polished than the other 2 dates.

Got to agree with both of these. "Hot and Cool" is quite worth getting, particularly for Carl Perkins, and "This Time the Drum's On Me" is VERY worth it. I'm with the school of thought that says since there's so little mid-50's Dexter on record, one might as well get it all.

Nothing with Dex on records can live up to his live performances, high or not, I have had the pleasure of have listened to him live at least 150 times

while he lived here in Copenhagen, we became friends (though not close friends), sometimes he had a bad night when strung out, but usually he "Played his Pants" off. I have the one with him and Carl Perkins, not one of his best, but still ok, but the one with Stan Levey is better.

I have a signed photo of him hanging on my wall, looking at it right now.

Vic

• 2 weeks later...

Got to agree with both of these. "Hot and Cool" is quite worth getting, particularly for Carl Perkins, and "This Time the Drum's On Me" is VERY worth it. I'm with the school of thought that says since there's so little mid-50's Dexter on record, one might as well get it all.

Agreed all the way. Particularly liked the Levey record.

Would have liked to have been at that garage sale where this feller probably grabbed this seam-split, party-worn VG- graded platter at something like ... 99c or so?? :D :D