CD player recommendation

bertrand

I need to buy a new CD player and I want to get it soon because we've been without one in the living room for far too long. I much prefer a single disc player. There are no more brick-and-mortar stores to buy these in.

One recommendation I got is the Marantz CD5003. Is there any reason not to get this one? Alternatively, I got a recommendation for Emotiva.

Any suggestions? The $350 for the Marantz sounds good; I don't think I need to much higher.

Bertrand.

Bertrand, if you end up getting that Marantz, PLEASE let me know! I'm in the market myself for a new cd player. My old Yamaha doesn't always open when I hit the button at this point, sometimes taking 5 or 6 attempts before it finally opens. The Marantz looks like a great unit and it comes highly regarded on the Crutchfield website. My preference is Yamaha products but the selection is limited and for the most part out of my price range. The Marantz would fit in nicely. :tup

Edited by Tom 1960

Bertrand, I cannot offer any audiophile advice. I can tell you that when my CD player shut down two years ago I went to BJ's and found that they didn't carry CD players anymore. But I remembered that DVD players also play CDs, and I picked up a Toshiba at a very low price.

So in your shopping I suggest that you also consider DVD players.

I've got the Marantz 5 CD changer and I'm disappointed with it. It is a little over three years old and it goes on the fritz from time to time. The tray will spend endlessly and then it gives and "error" reading. I sent it out for warranty service and when they received it they indicated that they couldn't find anything wrong with it. So when this happens I bounce the crap out of it like it is being shipped to Connecticut via UPS and it tends to work again the next day.

Who needs that.

Ironically my 15 year old Philips carousel continues to work like a charm for the friend I handed it down to. So much for my upgrade.....

Speaking of which, is it still possible to get a carousel CD deck? I enjoy putting in 5 discs (the maximum my cheap RCA deck will take), pressing "shuffle play - all discs", and being constantly surprised (and sometimes tested, especially if I've put in 5 individually different pianist trio CDs). The only major problem I have is that the deck will frequently not read a CD-R well or at all.

I do own an Oppo single play deck which I use strictly for DVDs; it plays all region commercial as well as DVD-Rs made by myself or people abroad with whom I've traded. It is a truly excellent machine.

But an upgrade on an audio CD carousel deck would be great. However, if one can now only get a quality single play CD deck, then the previous recs on this forum may be the only way to go.

Speaking of which, is it still possible to get a carousel CD deck? I enjoy putting in 5 discs (the maximum my cheap RCA deck will take), pressing "shuffle play - all discs", and being constantly surprised (and sometimes tested, especially if I've put in 5 individually different pianist trio CDs). The only major problem I have is that the deck will frequently not read a CD-R well or at all.

Ignore this if you have no interest in iPods/MP3 players (or if this is stating the obvious!)...

But the iPod (and other players, I imagine) can do this far more flexibly than any multi-CD player. You have to 'rip' your CDs first (a few minutes each) but once there you can shuffle them in endless ways.

Apart from the convenience of taking a lot of music anywhere, it's this shuffle facility (the whole iPod or individual albums or specially set up playlists) that I like most from the iPod/Mp3 player format.

I still play albums in the house via CD and CD-r (even downloaded ones). But if I want to be surpised then I'll rig up the iPod to the stereo and let it take over.

With a bit of wiring from your PC you can also get a 'jukebox' effect from there, without needing an MP3 player.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Since buying a Rega Planet around 1996-97, I haven't kept up with model numbers or the competition, but I have been supremely satisfied with the sound quality, durability and value-for-the-money that it offers. No bells and whistles but the sound is remarkably analog-like in its warmth and presence -- digital sound for those who don't like digital sound. Again, I don't know what Rega is making these days, but if I were buying a CD player, that's where I personally would start.

Edited by Mark Stryker

Do you already have a Blu-Ray player? I have two Sony Blu-Ray players that playc cds VERY WELL, the sound is great. Not as great as my dedicated cd playeres, BUT those cost twice to three or four times what you are looking at spending.

Blu-Ray slays DVD and also the players upsample DVDs to make them appear as good as they can be. I've been most impressed with Sony Blu-Ray players and you can find a model in your price range, and you'll probably be happy. It's worth upgrading from DVD, and you'll get a cd player too.