2010 MLB Season

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the SF Chronicle, the Giants are thinking of leaving Barry Zito off the playoff roster, and keeping Madison Bumgarner to start game four of the Braves series. I could go for that, Bumgarner has been pitching much better than Zito, and I don't think Zito can pitch out of the bullpen that well. That's a lot of money off the roster though, but at this point, winning trumps everything else.

Edited by Matthew

If I were Joe Girardi, I'd leave A.J. off the post season roster & tell him to go home and get ready for 2011. That won't happen - too much $ spent on him, but any decent AAA pitcher could have done what he did this year.

Looks like AJ won't get a start, reports are that Girardi will go with CC Sabathia for game four. Kind of risky, riding your main man like that, but hopefully, Twins in three!

According to the SF Chronicle, the Giants are thinking of leaving Barry Zito off the playoff roster, and keeping Madison Bumgarner to start game four of the Braves series. I could go for that, Bumgarner has been pitching much better than Zito, and I don't think Zito can pitch out of the bullpen that well. That's a lot of money off the roster though, but at this point, winning trumps everything else.

Barry Zito is a head case.

I am all for keeping him as far away from the pitcher's mound as is humanly possible.

The MadBum delivers. Zito plays mind games.

Edited by GoodSpeak

If I were Joe Girardi, I'd leave A.J. off the post season roster & tell him to go home and get ready for 2011. That won't happen - too much $ spent on him, but any decent AAA pitcher could have done what he did this year.

Looks like AJ won't get a start, reports are that Girardi will go with CC Sabathia for game four. Kind of risky, riding your main man like that, but hopefully, Twins in three!

Here's one note of hope for Yankees fans as the playoffs commence: the team's record this year when CC, Andy, or Phil Hughes are starting is 59-25. That's a staggering won-lost total, a winning percentage of .702. Two qualifiers, of course--I don't believe any of CC's regular-season starts were made on short rest, and Andy Pettitte is not quite back to form. Still, it shows how much A.J. (and Javy) damaged the team's record this year...NY was 13-20 in games that A.J. started. And if anybody can pitch well on short rest, it's CC. At the same time I'd prefer to see that happen as little as necessary...so hopefully Yankees in three! ;)

Incredible. I started watching in the bottom of the 4th, missed the 6th and most of the 7th, came back in time to see Halladay's last six outs. Amazing! And not only the first postseason no-hitter since Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 WS--it was Halladay's second of the year, first time a pitcher's done that since Nolan Ryan in 1973. And in his first-ever playoff start... wow, just wow. :blink:

He'd sure look good in pinstripes. Oh, hold it. He's already in pin stripes. Oh well, I can dream can't I?

Yanks are about to face off against the Twins. With their rotation in total disarray, this is a must win. By the time this is all said and done, I'm afraid New York is going to regret not getting Cliff Lee.

The Twins are 2-8 in their last 10 games. Gardenhire actually reamed the whole team out just the other day for their lackluster performance. That's the good news. The bad news is the Yankees are limping, and that may be a generous assessment, into to the playoffs. Like someone said, about all you can do right now if you're a Yankee fan is pray for four days of rain after every Sabbathia start. Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to see a repeat of 2000 when New York entered the post-season on the same downward trajectory. No matter how I slice and dice the possibilities, it just doesn't feel right. I am already preparing myself for an early exit from the playoffs.

Let's hope this year there's an umpire that can see fair from foul...

phil-cuzzi-foul-ball-yankees-twins.jpg

Twins got it back with an absolutely terrible call in the bottom of the 9th, ruling that Golson trapped a ball that he clearly caught, giving the Twins a runner with two outs and putting the tying run at the plate in the form of Thome. Ultimately didn't matter, thankfully.

I'm not in any way knocking the outstanding effort of Roy Halladay earlier today, but all this "move over Don Larsen" talk is B.S. First of all, Larsen threw his no-no in a World Series and, secondly, his was a perfect game, 27 up 27 down. Also, on the TBS postgame show, they said Larsen struck out Dal Maxvill to end the game against the Dodgers in '56. In fact, it was Dale Mitchell. All they got right were the initials. Nicely done. They need to hire stat boy from Pardon The Interruption.

I'm not in any way knocking the outstanding effort of Roy Halladay earlier today, but all this "move over Don Larsen" talk is B.S. First of all, Larsen threw his no-no in a World Series and, secondly, his was a perfect game, 27 up 27 down. Also, on the TBS postgame show, they said Larsen struck out Dal Maxvill to end the game against the Dodgers in '56. In fact, it was Dale Mitchell. All they got right were the initials. Nicely done. They need to hire stat boy from Pardon The Interruption.

Didn't see the Larsen game :D but Halladay was pretty unbelievable.

The Twins are 2-8 in their last 10 games. Gardenhire actually reamed the whole team out just the other day for their lackluster performance. That's the good news. The bad news is the Yankees are limping, and that may be a generous assessment, into to the playoffs. Like someone said, about all you can do right now if you're a Yankee fan is pray for four days of rain after every Sabbathia start. Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to see a repeat of 2000 when New York entered the post-season on the same downward trajectory. No matter how I slice and dice the possibilities, it just doesn't feel right. I am already preparing myself for an early exit from the playoffs.

Let's hope this year there's an umpire that can see fair from foul...

phil-cuzzi-foul-ball-yankees-twins.jpg

Twins got it back with an absolutely terrible call in the bottom of the 9th, ruling that Golson trapped a ball that he clearly caught, giving the Twins a runner with two outs and putting the tying run at the plate in the form of Thome. Ultimately didn't matter, thankfully.

It sucks to see an outstanding play like that get called wrong but like you said, thankfully it didn't matter.

Didn't see the Larsen game biggrin.gif but Halladay was pretty unbelievable.

Sort of understand the point Dave made but it's still the playoffs, not to mention this is his second no hitter this year. That puts him in pretty rarified territory.

On the final out in Halladay's no-hitter, it looked like the bat interfered slightly with the catcher's attempt to pick up the ball and throw to first.

The umpire let the play unfold, but would he have called batter interference if Ruiz had fumbled around trying to pick up the ball after it had been touched by the bat, which had clearly been tossed into the field of play, and been unable to get the out at first?

The umpire let the play unfold, but would he have called batter interference if Ruiz had fumbled around trying to pick up the ball after it had been touched by the bat, which had clearly been tossed into the field of play, and been unable to get the out at first?

The way the past season has gone, just assume the worst. ;)

Yay, Braves-Giants today to add to the fun.

edited to add winky.

Edited by Quincy

On the final out in Halladay's no-hitter, it looked like the bat interfered slightly with the catcher's attempt to pick up the ball and throw to first.

I was wondering the same thing.