Sam Rivers and Jimi Hendrix

Hardbopjazz

You should know better than to use Wikipedia to back up your claims or to disprove someone else's!

footnotes referenced in highlighted copy:

8 ^ Everett, Walter. The Beatles as musicians. Oxford University Press US/Google Notes to page 202-212.

9 ^ Gottfridsson, Hans Olof, Sheridon, Tony and Beatles. The Beatles from Cavern to Star-Club: The Illustrated Chronicle, Discography & Price Guide 1957-1962. Premium Publishing (1997). pp. 222, 310, 313, 333, 341.

10 ^ Miles, Barry and Badman, Keith. The Beatles Diary: The Beatles years. Omnibus Press (2001). pp. 129.

Not to hijack, but those are still 3rd party claims. These are not autobiographies that are being referenced. That's like saying that anything I claim to be true IS true, as long as I place it in a book I've written.

Guess I'll just throw out my life as a library and information professional.

You know, you got Carol Kaye & Earl Palmer claiming to be James Jamerson & Benny Benjamin too...I know lots of things go on, credits are often "misapplied", sometimes/usually as part of the Hype Machine, but when it comes to Purdie & The Beatles, jeesuz cheryest, you got studio outtakes of Ringo laying down take after take...obviously real and just as obviously not overdubbed by anybody else afterwards...it's damn near impossible to take Purdie's claims seriosuly, at least in this particular case.

Now whoat wouldn't surprise me is if Brian Epstein privately paid for a session like Purdie mentioned to have at the ready in case Capitol had any objections to using the "as is" records already out in the UK (and that's the biggest hole imaginable in Purdie's story right there - he talks being on records that were already released without him on them, and there's no difference whatsoever in the drumming between what was already out in the UK & what later came out in the US). When it came to be that Capitol was ok with the UK performances (if not the mixes and the sequencing/packaging), Epstein did...god knows what to wahtever tapes he might have had made with Purdie. But that's the only way to reconcile his story with reality.

The things w/Tony Sheridan, that's real, the records exist in both forms, case closed. But this other stuff? Nope. And I love Bernard Purdie. But...

You should know better than to use Wikipedia to back up your claims or to disprove someone else's!

footnotes referenced in highlighted copy:

8 ^ Everett, Walter. The Beatles as musicians. Oxford University Press US/Google Notes to page 202-212.

9 ^ Gottfridsson, Hans Olof, Sheridon, Tony and Beatles. The Beatles from Cavern to Star-Club: The Illustrated Chronicle, Discography & Price Guide 1957-1962. Premium Publishing (1997). pp. 222, 310, 313, 333, 341.

10 ^ Miles, Barry and Badman, Keith. The Beatles Diary: The Beatles years. Omnibus Press (2001). pp. 129.

Not to hijack, but those are still 3rd party claims. These are not autobiographies that are being referenced. That's like saying that anything I claim to be true IS true, as long as I place it in a book I've written.

Guess I'll just throw out my life as a library and information professional.

Do as you wish, young man.

Let me get this clear. If Purdie wrote an autobiography and made the claims he made in his interviews, you'd accept those claims as fact, but you're extremely skeptical of a reference in a book published by a university press by an author who is the chair of music theory at U. Mich.?

No, no, let's talk about it.

I wouldn't need to hear the whole thing, but I could see a scenario where the Hendrix estate might be willing to issue a single CD containing various collaborations of Jimi with Jazz musicians.

So far we know of:

1) A 10-minute jam with Larry Young which I think is excellent.

2) A big chunk of music with Sam Rivers.

The stuff with McLaughlin is apparently unreleasable, so that's out.

Anything else?

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

No, no, let's talk about it.

I wouldn't need to hear the whole thing, but I could see a scenario where the Hendrix estate might be willing to issue a single CD containing various collaborations of Jimi with Jazz musicians.

So far we know of:

1) A 10-minute jam with Larry Young which I think is excellent.

2) A big chunk of music with Sam Rivers.

The stuff with McLaughlin is apparently unreleasable, so that's out.

Anything else?

Bertrand.

The jam with Larry Young is really not that bad. I have a copy of that.

Let me get this clear. If Purdie wrote an autobiography and made the claims he made in his interviews, you'd accept those claims as fact, but you're extremely skeptical of a reference in a book published by a university press by an author who is the chair of music theory at U. Mich.?

Some of you are being way too literal!