Anyone know about this recording?

Hardbopjazz

Thad Jones didn't actually play with Rollins, the LP has two different sessions. This is a 1968 fake stereo reissue of Rollins' November 4, 1957 and Jones' December 12, 1956 dates, which were originally issued on Jazztone and Period. The Rollins tracks can be found on his The Freelance Years box that Fantasy put out before Concord stepped in.

Most likely this may very well indeed be a bootleg, but I don't recall this.

Rollins, Sonny – “Sonny Rollins” (guest artist Thad Jones) [Archive of Folk Music FS-220]

R-150-1650483-1254429118.jpeg

Though these were U.S. pressings, "Archive of Folk & Jazz Music" (produced by Everest Records) was not a rare label at all in the "budget price" bins of record stores over here in the 70s/80s. I remember passing up a lot of these releases because their track compilations seemed to be rather random to me and the production (including artist credits) rather sketchy but among those that I did pick up were "Foundations of Modern Jazz" (FS-229, Period masters feat. Osie Johnson's Orchestra, The Jones Boys, The Birdlanders, Charlie Mingus) and "The Birdlanders" (FS-275, actually featuring the Henri Renaud-Al COhn Quartet, HEnri Renaud All Stars and Duke Jordan Trio all recorded in NY for the French Swing label and later released on Period in the U.S.).

Obviously they picked tracks largely from the Period catalog; a Django Reinhardt LP I have (FS-230) includes scattered post-war tracks for the Blue Star and Swing labels whose only common denominator is that they were released on Period in the USA.

Everst Archive of Jazz was a bogus but actually somewhat important label, in that it put out a bunch of Bird broadcasts (I still remember the thrill of hearing Bud Powell play that solo on the Birdland Round Midnight). They also put out the Al Haig Will o' the Wisp album, with notes by Max Harrison - and some of the jackets had a blurb to the effect that if any musicians out there had the right to receive monies for the recordings, they should contact the label. Haig told me he sent a few letters to the PO box number but never got a response (surprise).

Edited by AllenLowe

I had a slew of those Everests as a teenager, jazz and blues. The Dolphy Music Matador session was half of one lp. The Mingus session with Thrice Upon a Theme, etc. They had Bird's Royal Roost broadcasts as well as the Birdland one mentioned above. I had that Haig album too (and used to see him & Jimmy Raney at a bar called Gregory's). The Cannonball and Trane session was issued on that label too, which is one of the most weird, because wasn't it originally on Mercury?

The Rollins session is pretty good. First recording of Sonnymoon, right?

Edited by Pete C

I have it on a Fresh Sound CD:

41Fbh2neGdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

One side Rollins, one side Thad. And then some (but not all) of the Thad tracks are on this CD, along with others from the same session:

21JZ5SYZMWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Very confusing.

Does anyone know why Rollins only recorded 3 tracks? Was it originally a 10"?

• 3 weeks later...