My First Recording By ______

Dan Gould

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well "My first _________" would just be a disjointed list of whatever, and to what end? I don't know what end this brings up except its sort of inspired by the Name Three People thing and the fact that many of us discovered more music by following up on other dates by the same musicians.

Anyway, let's get away from Booby. My first Woody Shaw was Master of The Art with Turre, Mulgrew Miller, Booby, Tony Reedus and Stafford James.

Edited by Dan Gould

My first Strozier was Fantastic Frank Strozier with Wynton Kelly, Booker Little, PC and Jimmy Cobb.

e37904yhhz9.jpg

Same here. So you beat me to it. ;)

To carry things on, my first Wynton Kelly LEADER record I ever bought was the KEEP IT MOVING Milestone twofer (M-47026).

Kosher (or halal :crazy:) enough now? ;)

So depending on your preferences use either

"Wynton Kelly" (Riverside 254) feat. Burrell, Chambers, PJJ,

or

"Kelly Blue" (Riverside 298) feat. Nat Adderley, Jaspar, Golson, Chambers, J. Cobb

to carry on now. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Well then I am going with Chamber's Music cuz it really is the first PC-as-leader date I bought, and it brings us back to Coltrane!

:g

I had a hunch all along this was going to run in circles. Trane just seems to be the most unavoidable musician on a jazz forum when it comes to name dropping. ;)

Had to look up who is on "Chambers Music", but I am going to pick the only way out of this "closed shop of jazz names" and state that my FIRST Kenny Drew leader LP ever bought was

"New Faces - New Sounds - Kenny Drew Trio" (BN 5023) feat. Curly Russel and Art Blakey. :D

Edited by Big Beat Steve

My first Sonny Rollins recording was a Prestige two-fer, "Saxophone Colossus and More".

This insistence on "first" is very demanding, as I have to try to remember back to the 1950s to records long since disappeared! That said, my first Rollins was an EP (Extended Play) 45 rpm vinyl disc with "The Way You Look Tonight" on one side and "I Want To Be Happy" on the other. IIRC, Art Blakey and Monk were on this session - the bassist I don't remember!

Well, its an estimate of your first, you don't have to be certain that you're remembering correctly.

My first Blakey is sort of an odd one in terms of expectations.

f014224rhvi.jpg

A Jazz Message on Impulse. This was at the time I was heavily into Coltrane and I had moved into the Impulse years. So I picked this one up because Tyner was on it. Hey folks, lots of possibilities for first Stitt recording!

MOSAIC - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (Blue Note)

Said Messengers were Freddie Hubbard, Wayne Shorter, Curtis Fuller, Cedar Walton, and Jymie Merritt

I dig this post, and think I get the rules...

My first Hubbard-- Open Sesame

Tina Brooks: Tenor Sax

McCoy Tyner: Piano

Sam Jones: Bass

Clifford Jarvis: Drums

Well, its an estimate of your first, you don't have to be certain that you're remembering correctly.

f014224rhvi.jpg

A Jazz Message on Impulse. This was at the time I was heavily into Coltrane and I had moved into the Impulse years. So I picked this one up because Tyner was on it. Hey folks, lots of possibilities for first Stitt recording!

Absolutely great LP, IMO. Also my first Stitt recording.

f014224rhvi.jpg

Absolutely great LP, IMO. Also my first Stitt recording.

My first Stitt was Sonny Stitt and the Big Brass, which gives you plenty of scope, as on the sessions were Renauld Jones, Blue Mitchell, Dick Vance, Jimmy Cleveland, Matthew Gee, Willie Ruff, Duke Jordan, Perri Lee, Joe Benjamin, Frank Brown and Philly Joe Jones

My first Blakey:

The Jazz Messengers at the Cafe Bohemia 1955

Art, Kenny Dorham, Hank Mobley, Doug Watkins, Horace Silver

I guess I first heard it c. 1956 and it was probably the first time I'd heard Mobley too.

I'm going to go with first KD recording. A hard call, its either this one or the Showboat recording on Time but I am almost certain it was Quiet Kenny. One listen to Blue Spring Shuffle and I was hooked.

With Tommy Flanagan, PC and Art Taylor.

My first Blakey:

I guess I first heard it c. 1956 and it was probably the first time I'd heard Mobley too.

I'm going to go with first KD recording. A hard call, its either this one or the Showboat recording on Time but I am almost certain it was Quiet Kenny. One listen to Blue Spring Shuffle and I was hooked.

My first, and only, album under Art Taylor's name is Taylor's Tenors, and it's a great 'un!

My first Blakey:

My first, and only, album under Art Taylor's name is Taylor's Tenors, and it's a great 'un!

I'm going to try to move this forward by going with my first Art Taylor:

Mr. AT with Marc Cary, Willie Williams, Abraham Burton and Tyler Mitchell.

c3531797536.jpg

Hope I haven't stopped things in their tracks but there are always other Taylor recordings to get back to the hard bop sweet spot.