My First Recording By ______

Dan Gould

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, maybe this will take things in another direction. I had admired Art Farmer on other folks' records, but my first Art Farmer album was the Art Farmer/Jim Hall Big Blues album on CTI. Also on board were Mike Mainieri on vibes, the great, underrated Michael Moore on bass, and Steve Gadd (!) on drums.

my first Art Farmer record was the Lonehill edition of Modern Art, remember that purchase well because I wasn't really into jazz at the time and was just looking for some nice 50s bop album with lyrical trumpet... i saw those bins which had most of the ojcs for 3 euro a piece but didn't consider it worth looking through them... that was bound to change in the next few weeks...

my first Art Farmer record was the Lonehill edition of Modern Art, remember that purchase well because I wasn't really into jazz at the time and was just looking for some nice 50s bop album with lyrical trumpet... i saw those bins which had most of the ojcs for 3 euro a piece but didn't consider it worth looking through them... that was bound to change in the next few weeks...

My first album by Bill Evans (who was on Modern Art) was Portrait in Jazz with Scott LaFaro and Paul Motian.

200px-Bill_Evans_Trio_Portraits_in_Jazz.jpg

First Clifford Jordan album - Mosaic

Players:

Kenny Dorham

Sonny Red

Tommy Flanagan

Cedar Walton

Wilbur Ware

Albert "Tootie" Heath

Elvin Jones

OK -- I'll try again. First Clifford Jordan album -- "Cliff Craft" (Blue Note), with Art Farmer, Sonny Clark, George Tucker, and Louis Hayes.

Well, to make things more interesting, the first Motian date I bought was the very recent Lost In A Dream with Jason Moran and Chris Potter.

Well, that stopped me dead in my tracks as I have no albums by any of them as leader! :( I will have to wait for someone else to take up the baton!

E1028g.jpg

Paul Motian with Keith Jarrett/Charlie Haden/Leroy Jenkins/Sam Brown/Becky Friend

Well, to make things more interesting, the first Motian date I bought was the very recent Lost In A Dream with Jason Moran and Chris Potter.

Well, that stopped me dead in my tracks as I have no albums by any of them as leader! :( I will have to wait for someone else to take up the baton!

E1028g.jpg

Paul Motian with Keith Jarrett/Charlie Haden/Leroy Jenkins/Sam Brown/Becky Friend

Still waitin'! ;)

Yeah, we've got a split going but I don't want to give Larry a hard time since he came back to contribute after muddying things up.

The way this is conceived, its interesting if you get into what I'll call the post-Coltrane side whether you can get back into our hard bop sweet spot. Same thing if you get into some younger neoboppers. I know if we get to Don Cherry, I can lay down Art Deco which brings in James Clay.

I kinda want to see what happens ...

Likewise, I wonder how far back we can take it? How many steps 'til we can make it to the twenties or thirties?

Probably not too hard to find an "in" with 50s/60s recordings by the likes of Billie Holiday, Roy Eldridge, Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Benny Carter et al which featured modern players.

You got some sides w/Jack on'em as sideman, right? Which was the first? I think that would qualify, the leader-to-sideman gambit? Yes? No? Dan?

Or somebody's gotta have a Bennie Maupin side - if it's the right one, we can get back to Herbie, if that's what needs to be done. From Herbie, all roads are eventually possible, I'll bet.

You got some sides w/Jack on'em as sideman, right? Which was the first? I think that would qualify, the leader-to-sideman gambit? Yes? No? Dan?

Officially, no, if you pick another date by the leader it should also be a leader date; if you pick a date by a sideman its supposed to be a leader date too, but I'm not quite so sure we should stick with that latter rule. It does open things up if we relax that requirement.

Since Colin jumped in while I was searching for an image, I'll work off of him and offer my first Herbie-as-Leader purchase. Without a doubt its the classic Watermelon Man Takin' Off.

:blush2:

Anyone with a Dex?

Edited by Dan Gould

Officially, no, if you pick another date by the leader it should also be a leader date; if you pick a date by a sideman its supposed to be a leader date too, but I'm not quite so sure we should stick with that latter rule. It does open things up if we relax that requirement.

Since Colin jumped in while I was searching for an image, I'll work off of him and offer my first Herbie-as-Leader purchase. Without a doubt its the classic Watermelon Man Takin' Off.

:blush2:

Anyone with a Dex?

414Q7XRSNSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg