My First Recording By ______

Dan Gould

My first Blakey:

The Jazz Messengers at the Cafe Bohemia 1955

Art, Kenny Dorham, Hank Mobley, Doug Watkins, Horace Silver

I guess I first heard it c. 1956 and it was probably the first time I'd heard Mobley too.

I'm going to go with first KD recording. A hard call, its either this one or the Showboat recording on Time but I am almost certain it was Quiet Kenny. One listen to Blue Spring Shuffle and I was hooked.

With Tommy Flanagan, PC and Art Taylor.

My first, and only, album under Art Taylor's name is Taylor's Tenors, and it's a great 'un!

I used to have Taylor's Tenors' - haven't now and haven't thought of it for years....who was on it, Bill?

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first Roy Eldridge: "Little Jazz" (Clef)

My first Don Friedman: "Circle Waltz" (Riverside)

My first Serge Chaloff: "Boston Blow Up" (Capitol)

My first Ornette Coleman: "Something Else"(Contemporary)

My first Roscoe Mitchell: "Sound"(Delmark)

My first Duke Jordan: "Trio/Quintet" (Signal)

Why are you posting these after acknowledging that you didn't follow the rules and that it was "my" thread? If you want to start a thread for anyone to post any "first recording" then do so. Other people are enjoying this thread idea and you are only confusing things.

Sorry, Dan -- This hasn't been my best day. I'll delete my previous post.

My first Blakey:

I guess I first heard it c. 1956 and it was probably the first time I'd heard Mobley too.

I'm going to go with first KD recording. A hard call, its either this one or the Showboat recording on Time but I am almost certain it was Quiet Kenny. One listen to Blue Spring Shuffle and I was hooked.

My first, and only, album under Art Taylor's name is Taylor's Tenors, and it's a great 'un!

I used to have Taylor's Tenors' - haven't now and haven't thought of it for years....who was on it, Bill?

I'm not Bill, but to keep the thread rolling: AT, Frank Foster, Charlie Rouse, Walter Davis Jr. and Sam Jones.

I'll go with Davis Cup, which was also with Jones and Taylor, plus Jackie McLean and Donald Byrd. I didn't know Davis Jr., but bought it for Jackie. Definitely a good call, as this is arguably one of the more underrated sessions from the classic Blue Note era.

My first Blakey:

Charlie Rouse, Frank Foster, Walter Davis and Sam Jones.

My first Blakey:

I'm not Bill, but to keep the thread rolling: AT, Frank Foster, Charlie Rouse, Walter Davis Jr. and Sam Jones.

I'll go with Davis Cup, which was also with Jones and Taylor, plus Jackie McLean and Donald Byrd. I didn't know Davis Jr., but bought it for Jackie. Definitely a good call, as this is arguably one of the more underrated sessions from the classic Blue Note era.

I'll take Donald Byrd,...first for me was Slow Drag with Sonny Red,Cedar Walton,Walter Booker and Billy Higgins.

Edited by catesta

My first Ron Carter - Where? It was actually half of an Eric Dolphy Prestige two-fer. On board were Dolphy, Mal Waldron, Charlie Persip, and George Duvivier (when Ron was playing cello, which he did for most of the album).

And colinmce, Laymon Jackson is not considered obscure in Atlanta, where he was from. He was a much-beloved figure around here.

My first Blakey:

First Jackie McLean: Right Now! with Larry Willis, Bob Cranshaw & Clifford Jarvis.

Once again:

You can post a different "first recording you bought" led by the same artist posted immediately before

OR

You can post a "first recording you bought" led by any artist on the recording posted immediately before

Its not a straight up "my first recording by ____" thread!

Nat Adderley "In The Bag" w. Cannon, Ellis Marsalis, James Black, Same Jones..

Doesn't fit the rules!

Name your first recording purchased that was led by Joe Henderson, or name your first led by Kenny Dorham, Andrew Hill, Eddie Khan or Pete La Roca.

Taking Pepper Adams I'll go with

Out of This World - The Complete Warwick Sessions, Donald Byrd - Pepper Adams Quintet

g11243jintm.jpg

Another very early purchase at a Tower in NY. What resource that was whenever I was home in CT and could take the train into NYC.