Smalls Live releases

brownie

Just discovered this new label. I have listened to the Jim Rotondi album and liked it...

Any others I should check?

Smalls Live catalog

I bought several albums on the Smalls Record label (is this the same label?) a few years ago by Frank Hewitt and by Omer Avital which were all excellent.

Edited by Head Man

afaik it's not literally the same label though it is the same people... i've spent hours listening to the Smalls Live Jazz archive online... (we had a thread about that); for instance the trio of guitarist William Ash and the quintet of trumpeter Dwayne Clemons featuring Sacha Perry on piano are two groups i like which have dozens of sets in that archive... (like this one)

http://www.smallsjazzclub.com

Just discovered this new label. I have listened to the Jim Rotondi album and liked it...

Smalls Live catalog

I bought several albums on the Smalls Record label (is this the same label?) a few years ago by Frank Hewitt and by Omer Avital which were all excellent.

So did I. Love those Hewitt and Avitals, also the Gil Coggins and the Harry Whitakers.

Smalls Live CDs come obviously from the same company. It seems to like the same type of music that shows on the Crisscross catalogue. Nothing wrong with that!

The Peter Bernstein (with Richard Wyands and Jimmy Cobb) looks interesting. I don't have any of his leader CDs, but he has always been solid in the the various live performances I've seen (for example, paired with Kurt Rosenwinkel, in Ray Appleton's Wes Montgomery tribute band, with Lonnie Smith, and others), he seems to be the first call mainstream guitarist in New York.

I have 3 of the recently issued cd's on the Small's Live label.

Though I enjoy the Jim Rotondi session I prefer Rotondi's recent cd on Criss Cross titled THE MOVE.

The Peter Bernstein cd is one I would easily recommend. Planet Jazz at Smalls is also a nice date with Joe Magnarelli and Jerry Weldon.

Thanks for the information, Peter!

That Peter Bernstein seems a no-brainer. Have yet to be disappointed by any of his albums I have listened to!

I do not believe the Smalls Live label and the Smalls Records label that issued recordings by Frank Hewitt, Chris Byars, Sacha Perry, etc are affilated. Although inspired by the music from the original Smalls Jazz club, the latter label seems to be pretty much run singlehandley by Luke Kaven, who has no interest in the current club. The Smalls Live Label I am pretty sure is the baby of the club.

Smalls Live catalog

I can also highly recommend the Kevin Hays session. It doesn't get much better for a piano trio.

2nds on the hays. the opening track "Cheryl," imo, is one of the best jazz piano trio performances on cd in recent memory (becoming my personal favorite), and i'd essentially say the same for this cd as a whole. think of all the best elements of jarrett, beirach, and maybe to a lesser extent mehldau, and you've got the hays trio's Live At Smalls. deeply swinging and soulful, dualistically comfortable playing inside or out (or, as only the best players can do, shamanistically doing both at once), while his modern classical harmonic/contrapuntal elements make beautiful bedfellows with more swinging and soulful "folkish" elements - see his arrangement of hindemith's "Ludus Tonalis" for example. and weiss and stewart are right there with him.

this trio recording has it all people. don't hesitate.

Edited by thedwork

• 3 months later...

The Smalls Records label and the Smalls Live label both came from the club Smalls. The Smalls Records name was licensed to me by Mitch Borden in the year 2000. The club was brought back in 2007, after closing for a time, by Spike Wilner, who began the Smalls Live label. Legally, the Smalls Live label can only present live recordings made at Smalls. The Smalls Records label can present live and studio recordings from any venue. There is some spirit of cooperation, and there may be collaboration in the future. Both labels originate with the club, though different generations of its existence.

Jimmy Greene is from my area. I have heard him play a number of times and have never been disappointed. Nothing revolutionary about his playing - just good music! Did not know he has a Smalls Live release coming, but since I purchase most of his recordings I will likely pick it up.

Very interesting. I've visited the site several times today and listened to samples of most CD's. Hard to choose, for sure, as everything sounds very good. The Jimmy Greene is now up on the website. I just ordered it, along with the Neal Smith Quintet CD (the smaples of this one are just smokin'!). If I enjoy these (which is likely- nice samples on the Greene), I'll order more of their catalogue in the future.

I visited Smalls twice last week, and both visits were very enjoyable. The sound there is very good; I like the feeling of the club too; its only $20 to get in, and you can stay all night if you like. In addition, to Jimmy Greene's fine group, I was very impressed with the performance by Jack Walrath's Masters of Suspense (consisting of members of the Mingus Big Band), and a group led by a young woman named (something like) Shoshan Shimrit, featuring the intriguing alto player Logan Richardson.

Richardson is someone to keep an ear on. He has two recordings out - one on Fresh Sound New Talent and one on Greg Osby's Inner Circle Music label - both of which are interesting. He also features prominently on vibes player Michael Pinto's Inner Circle Music recording.

• 2 months later...

I was in New York again last week and was able to visit Smalls two nights again. It was once again a very nice experience. Excellent music, fine sound, and a friendly atmosphere. I was able to hear Carlo de Rosa's group, with Vijay Iyer and Mark Shim; the next night first Woody Witt/Eric Wollman Project, then the Jean Michel Pilc Trio (Boris Koslov/Billy Hart). And I left with a couple more Smalls Live CDs (Ian Hendrickson Smith and Steve Davis).

Carlo de Rosa's group, with Vijay Iyer and Mark Shim;

good to hear that mark shim is still at it. amazing player w/ a terrific sound. i thought i remember hearing that he was having a hard time a while back getting work. again, very nice to hear that he's at it!

I thought Mark Shim sounded really good at this concert. This is also true of the excellent recording of this Carlo de Rosa led group on Cunieform. I had seen Mark Shim as a sideman a couple of other times over the last few years, with Onaje Allan Gumbs and Mike Clark, and was impressed both times.