Hurray!!! OOP Mosaics for Everyone!!!

sheldonm

I was shopping at the Mecca of Recorded (Jazz Record Mart, Chicago) music this weekend and a lady had brought in her late husband's :( music collection to sell. This collection was about 9100 cds and 2000 LP :excited: . Among this collection is about 70-80 Mosaic sets, most of it LP, most of them OOP :g . I picked up a few Mosaics and a ton of used cds, again many of them out of print. Although I thought of keeping this gold mine to myself, I knew I should share it with all of my fellow board members. If you are looking for OOP Mosaics, especially of the LP variety, call JRM immediately (312.222.1467). I didn't see any sets for more than $150.00 but I didn't dig through all of them, only the ones I wanted. All appeared to be in great condition and there were also about 6 sets that were unopened. Happy Holidays to all :lol: .

Mark

(I know you're all thinking "enough with the damn smiles") :w

King Ubu,

Just saddened at the man's passing :(

yeah man, I hope he's sitting on a cloud somewhere looking at those many satisfied and happy people walking out of that store, going home to listen to the same music he dug so much during his lifetime. (no smiley needed here I think)

Sheldon's thought has occurred to me before (not often, however). What would I do with my collection or what should I do with my collection. It's probably worth a few dollars so I suppose I'd direct my wife to somewhere to sell them but on the other hand I'd probably like to leave some of them to some people here who I know would appreciate them.

King Ubu,

Just saddened at the man's passing :(

Uh, no problem! I bet my attack has been caused by there being too few jazz fans dying around here...

ahem... and, seriously, I know not one person here who owns at least one Mosaic set, believe it or not...

ubu :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Well now you know one person. I don't have a single Mosaic set. I've always collected the individual cds.

Was I ever tempted to buy them? Sure. The closest I ever came to buying one was from one of Grey's offerings, but I was always too late.

I've got my eyes on the Duke Pearson select, but I won't buy it for $40 given the fact that I've got 3-4 of the individual cds.

Now if I were to find one at Grey's prices...

uh, I freaked up! My bad: I wanted to say: I don't know anybody (except me, that is...) who DOES OWN a Mosaic. I mean, people I know, meat, talk to in real life - (that's not to diss anyone here, but there IS some difference).

I would sure like to get some of these sets, however...

ubu

I was shopping at the Mecca of Recorded (Jazz Record Mart, Chicago) music this weekend and a lady had brought in her late husband's :(  music collection to sell.  This collection was about 9100 cds and 2000 LP :excited: .  Among this collection is about 70-80 Mosaic sets, most of it LP, most of them OOP :g . 

Holy smokes! What I want to know is "How did she deliver the collection to the store - with an 18 wheeler?"

I know one!!! Personally, I mean. A guy from Frankfurt who bought some Ebay items from me and picked them up here, he has a few. Otherwise, all are board fellows.

Mike, we seem to be pretty rare birds! Europeans seemingly don't buy Mosaics...

At least there are some stores who always carry one of two of them. You could, for instance, buy the Teddy Wilson for around 200$ there... I wonder if there are people crazy enough to buy these!

ubu

I was shopping at the Mecca of Recorded (Jazz Record Mart, Chicago) music this weekend and a lady had brought in her late husband's :(  music collection to sell.  This collection was about 9100 cds and 2000 LP :excited: .  Among this collection is about 70-80 Mosaic sets, most of it LP, most of them OOP :g . 

Holy smokes! What I want to know is "How did she deliver the collection to the store - with an 18 wheeler?"

She probably gave them a phone call and they picked up the collection at her house.

Did you see the DVD of High Fidelity? (wife selling husband's collection)

:g

JazzHound,

I just sent you a PM. If anyone want to prepay for one of the Mosiacs (by phone), I would be glad to pick it up this coming Sunday and ship them to you. I will be in town to photograph Benny Golson and will surely stop and shop again. I could probably compile a list of Mosaics they have and the costs but again, not until Sunday. Let me know.

Mark

I'm kind of surprised they would sell Mosaics over the counter. Euclid Records in St. Louis used to sell them OTC or by phone, but they have long since gone to listing them on e-Bay to maximize the return on their investment. Maybe JRM is more altruistic than Euclid, but if I owned that business and it was my decision, they'd all be up for auction, especially if they're OOP and in good condition.

Up over and out.

I'm kind of surprised they would sell Mosaics over the counter. Euclid Records in St. Louis used to sell them OTC or by phone, but they have long since gone to listing them on e-Bay to maximize the return on their investment. Maybe JRM is more altruistic than Euclid, but if I owned that business and it was my decision, they'd all be up for auction, especially if they're OOP and in good condition.

Up over and out.

Dave,

Not unless you want your best customers to quit shopping with you. There is a used shop around here where I used to go and find things on a regular basis. Now I think they put everything hard to find on ebay. I would pick up not only the hard to find but other discs as well. Now I seldom go by. You have to offer the treasures to keep them coming back. And in this instance I would say the folks in Chicago are lucky.

I say, when you hit 60 or 65, start selling your collection.

Don't leave a mess around for your heirs to clean-up.

You talkin' to ME?

I'll hit 65 pretty soon. My plans after I get there is to spend time really listening to the treasures I have amassed. This will take me years.

My wife knows where and who to call when I'll be done :o