Letterman Craps All Over Jazz Again

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really too bad that you watch that and have nothing but negative things to say. It is completely your loss. I thought it sounded really good. And in a more natural live context I bet it'd stretch out and be much better even. Tedeschi is a frickin' monster singer (though I personally could do without her guitar playing...). Damn she's great.

You can come at this w/ the purist attitude and wish that herbie was still playing classic quintet stuff. And you can come at this w/ the opposite purist attitude and get down on herbie for not constantly playing more "creatively" and pushing some personally idealized envelope.

Or you can come at this w/ an open mind and hear this as a funky, soul/blues number played by a bunch of killin' musicians having a great time being fronted by a monster singer. How you look at it is your choice.

And this is not to say that everyone has to 'like' this tune or style. Not liking it is fine. But it feels to me that the way you are 'hating' on this tune/performance/herbie here, there's some kind of agenda being pushed instead of just saying "I don't care for the soul/pop thing here." If you don't like it, that's cool. But writing "the whole thing is terrible... SAD!!!... herbie's attempt at a jazz solo." Herbie doesn't attempt a jazz solo. and besides, this wasn't a jazz tune. "attempt?" give that shit a rest.

Imo, Herbie sucks, and by extension, so do you, depending on how you come at this, that is. :P

OK so can the mods now change the title of this thread to 'Letterman has featured jazz on his show frequently over the years even though he might not like it that much personally of course one man's jazz is another man's pop witness Herbie's recent performance oh and Allen is in this thread too and the thread starter is a mate of Jims in any case before reading be aware that some folks have been a little lary but that's to be expected on this board and in any case we all calmed down a bit now so welcome to the forum, newbies!'

It's really too bad that you watch that and have nothing but negative things to say. It is completely your loss. I thought it sounded really good. And in a more natural live context I bet it'd stretch out and be much better even. Tedeschi is a frickin' monster singer (though I personally could do without her guitar playing...). Damn she's great.

You can come at this w/ the purist attitude and wish that herbie was still playing classic quintet stuff. And you can come at this w/ the opposite purist attitude and get down on herbie for not constantly playing more "creatively" and pushing some personally idealized envelope.

Or you can come at this w/ an open mind and hear this as a funky, soul/blues number played by a bunch of killin' musicians having a great time being fronted by a monster singer. How you look at it is your choice.

And this is not to say that everyone has to 'like' this tune or style. Not liking it is fine. But it feels to me that the way you are 'hating' on this tune/performance/herbie here, there's some kind of agenda being pushed instead of just saying "I don't care for the soul/pop thing here." If you don't like it, that's cool. But writing "the whole thing is terrible... SAD!!!... herbie's attempt at a jazz solo." Herbie doesn't attempt a jazz solo. and besides, this wasn't a jazz tune. "attempt?" give that shit a rest.

Imo, Herbie sucks, and by extension, so do you, depending on how you come at this, that is. :P

Sonny, keep it civil and no personal attacks, please.

What would you expect from Letterman, since his bandleader and second banana is the musical lightweight Paul Schaefer? Ever hear Schaefer's appearance on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz? Marian told me that he was familiar with format of the show, yet when he came, he was unprepared and managed to only play a duet or so while she ended up playing most of the songs by herself. Easily one of the worst guests in the history of Piano Jazz.

Returning late to this thread so this may have already been commented upon, but why was Schaefer on Piano Jazz in the first place? He's never claimed to be a jazz musician.

What an odd thread this turned out to be! :lol: Though I've been here long enough to not be that surprised.

Anyway, I've been digging Dave for nearly 30 years now. I thought it was common knowledge that he didn't much care for jazz, but then neither does my father. I didn't think that was a problem. I don't like much rap or opera music either.

What would you expect from Letterman, since his bandleader and second banana is the musical lightweight Paul Schaefer? Ever hear Schaefer's appearance on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz? Marian told me that he was familiar with format of the show, yet when he came, he was unprepared and managed to only play a duet or so while she ended up playing most of the songs by herself. Easily one of the worst guests in the history of Piano Jazz.

Returning late to this thread so this may have already been commented upon, but why was Schaefer on Piano Jazz in the first place? He's never claimed to be a jazz musician.

Like or despise the guy, but at least get his name right -- Shaffer. Paul Shaffer. :)

Like or despise the guy, but at least get his name right -- Shaffer. Paul Shaffer. :)

Heh. I was just copying the spelling from upthread - I shoulda known better! :lol:

Hey man, I've known Dale for a couple of decades now. He's got one of the least chippiest shoulders I've ever encountered, so chill out on that, ok? You're just wrong.

Jim, you're still alive?? I thought you died from a heroin overdose years ago!!

A popular misconception. It was a heron overdose.

How many layers of irony are there in that?

And here I thought it was a Gil Scott-Heron overdose...