How would you describe "Sidewinder"--i.e. what genre of jazz i

medjuck

"Sidewinder" = boogaloo = yes, but a jazz boogaloo, not a "Latin" one (which is from whence the word issued).

"Una Nas" = boogaloo = not so much, because it's bossa/"Latin" structural accents are significantly pronounced & intrinsic. "BoogaBossa" or "BossaLoo" might be more accurate if they existed, but they don't, and it's really too late for them to begin now.

Technically, both are in 4/4 time, although if you want to be hyper anal(ytical) about it, you could say that "Sidewinder" was in 8/8.

Edited by JSngry

It's a Blue Note Groove Thing - I'd say defined by Higgins drumming (starting with HH's WM Man - before Sidewinder), except that Blue Mitchell's "High Heeled Sneakers" (w/A; Foster) and Donald Byrd's ____________ (w/Freddie Waits) fit into that bag, whatever you call it. Lou D w/ Egregious Muhamed, that's a whole different thing, groovey in it's own right.

Billy Higgins once told me (and I'm going from memory from a conversation nearly 25 years ago) that he felt like the secret to his groove on the "The Sidewinder" was that there was really no back beat -- no heavy whap on two and four that locked in the rhythm into a stiff rock 'n' roll feel. Listen to the flowing shuffle effect he creates on the snare drum. As far as terms, I vote "boogaloo," though I think I've used the term "funky boogaloo" in print to refer to this tune and in some cases the term "Blue Note funk" might work as a catch all for all those post-Sidewinder tunes by Morgan, Mobley and others.

Edited by Mark Stryker