Claude Williamson

Chas

Claude Williamson is a pianist whose playing has never moved me to actively seek out his recordings, but this may be because the playing of his I'm familiar with (his 50's recordings) strikes me as somewhat faceless and generic. So, in the event that he found his own voice in his later work, I thought I'd start this thread and ask for recommendations of his mature playing.

One recording in particular has me intrigued, and that's his 1985 album featuring the music of Sonny Clark. The album, Blue Minor, originally came out on the Japanese Bopland label. It was reissued on an Interplay LP in 1991 and again in 2006 on CD. Each issue has a different cover, with 1985's somewhat evocative of Clark's Cool Struttin' cover, while 1991's prurient double entendre cover seems aimed at 80's-era Melanie Griffith fantasists.

1985 issue :

ClaudeWilliamsonBlueMinoronBopland.jpg

ClaudeWilliamsonBlueMinoronBoplandback.jpg

1991 issue :

ClaudeWilliamsonBlueMinoronInterplay1991.jpg

2006 issue :

ClaudeWilliamsonBlueMinorCD.jpg

Your comments on Blue Minor or any of his later recordings are welcome.

Claude's two albums from 1995 are excellent. "Hallucinations" on V.S.O.P and "Live at the Jazz Bakery" on Fresh Sound. I have them both on CD, not sure if they're available on vinyl.

His playing never strayed too far from the Bud Powell influence, but he has his own style that's readily identifiable.

Claude Williamson's early recordings were very much under the influence of Bud Powell. A bit later he incorporated some influence from

Hampton Hawes too. As has already been mentioned a few times, Claude's Fresh Sound CD - Live At The Jazz Bakery would probably

be my first recommendation.

Williamson must be quite popular in Japan as he has recorded many trio dates for Venus and Interplay. All of them make for good

listening, in my view, but I would go for the Jazz Bakery session first.

If I'm not mistaken but might be he did a good one on the Bethlehem label.

Two, in fact:

"Claude Williamson" (BLP-59) and "Round Midnight" (BLP-69).

I just had the opportunity to sample the tracks from "Round Midnight". Seeing it's available for a very affordable price, should I get the Bethlehem issue or the remastered version which was released on Rhino?