Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found an Oscar Peterson Mosaic offered by an Amazon marketplace seller for $3.98! I'm really curious to see how this purchase turns out. It was advertised as a 7-disc set which comes in 4-CD cases with no box or booklet. The condition of the CDs was listed as like new/perfect condition. I'm asking myself,"What's the catch?" It must be a mis-listing. Why would anyone take so little for 7 discs? CDRs? Condition overstated? It's an Amazon fulfillment and the seller is rated at 99% overall (4.9/5 stars) with 201 ratings. So far, the order hasn't been cancelled. With the shipping, I was more than willing to take a $6.96 gamble.

Got a shipped notice today. I'm excited to see exactly what I'll get. Hope this thing pans out.

I found an Oscar Peterson Mosaic offered by an Amazon marketplace seller for $3.98! I'm really curious to see how this purchase turns out. It was advertised as a 7-disc set which comes in 4-CD cases with no box or booklet. The condition of the CDs was listed as like new/perfect condition. I'm asking myself,"What's the catch?" It must be a mis-listing. Why would anyone take so little for 7 discs? CDRs? Condition overstated? It's an Amazon fulfillment and the seller is rated at 99% overall (4.9/5 stars) with 201 ratings. So far, the order hasn't been cancelled. With the shipping, I was more than willing to take a $6.96 gamble.

Got a shipped notice today. I'm excited to see exactly what I'll get. Hope this thing pans out.

You never know. I once found discs 1-4 of the Andrew Hill Mosaic for $5.99 from a local store.

I don't know if any of you had the Russian Archives sets from Brilliant, but I had a number of them, including Rostropovich, Oistrakh: Violin Concertos, Viktor Tretiakov and Daniel Shafran. For the price, the sound was fine and the performances were generally great. Anyway, there is some set that gathers up 13 of the original sets for a total of 100 CDs of performances by Soviet/Russian performers: 100 CD set.

Now I ordered one of the sets (supposedly on its way as we speak), and the seller claims to have more at $50. Caveat emptor and all that.

Looks like I got one. £24.99 inc. free shipping within UK ! :party:

We don't get many breaks over here so when we do it's celebration time.

Edited by sidewinder

Looks like I got one. £24.99 inc. free shipping within UK ! :party:

We don't get many breaks over here so when we do it's celebration time.

Yeah - the penance is that you have to listen to 8 or 9 hours of Oscar Peterson!

(only kidding - I was waiting for a good price on this set and I jumped all over it)

Seems like every time I check this thread, I've missed out on something. Today I scored.

I had already earned enough Ebay bucks to cover the cost of the set - so basically I'm just paying the freight across the Atlantic for this one. Not bad. :cool:

Box bargain available again!

Thanks! I punched it this time.

Last time I ordered a new CD from Newbury fulfilled by Amazon it came with a drill hole, which is highly unusual for Newbury. Hopefully, I won't have to go through the return process again.

Last time I ordered a new CD from Newbury fulfilled by Amazon it came with a drill hole, which is highly unusual for Newbury. Hopefully, I won't have to go through the return process again.

I picked this up with the last notification and it DID come with the hole in the jewel case. That doesn't bother me though.....

I picked this up with the last notification and it DID come with the hole in the jewel case. That doesn't bother me though.....

Crap! When I order directly from Newbury via Amazon Marketplace, that doesn't happen. Is it some clause Amazon mandates if they fulfill the order?

The last 2 items I bought from Newbury came with unindicated cutouts and both items were initially listed through marketplace then relisted 2 days later directly through Amazon. So I lost out on free shipping. I emailed them and they ignored my question and just sent a return slip, and haven't responded to subsequent emails.

Edited by matteson

There is one Living Stereo CD that should have been included in the 60 cd box but wasn't... Hovhaness' Mysterious Mountain. I ordered that one separately.

There appear to be at least 3 more that "ought" to be in there:

Khachaturian: Masquerade Suite; Kabalevsky: The Comedians

(conducted by Kondrashin)

Khachaturian: Concerto for violin in Dm; Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky

(conducted by Reiner)

Reiner Sound - a quasi-sampler with Rachmaninoff's Isle of the Dead

I could be wrong of course (that they are included in the box), and of course there could well be more missing CDs. Still an incredible, incredible deal. I can't believe I was hesitating (in general my interest in classical music is on the rise). I am leaning towards ordering the Mysterious Mountain and the first two, whereas there is a better RCA that pairs Isle of the Dead with Ormandy conducting Rachmaninoff's Symphony 2.

There are a few more...

Copland Appalacian Spring Gould

Heifetz Double Concertos

Popular Classics for Spanish Guitar

Spain

Handel Messiah Beecham

No Spain is there but it has a weird listing. CD 55 - Alebeniz: Navarra ... Leotyne Price

Popular Classics for Guitar is CD 54

Heifetz Double Concertos is CD 53

I don't see the Copland or the Handel Messiah, so I'll keep an eye out for those.

Doesn't look like the original Living Stereo Beecham Messiah (distilled on 1 CD) is available, but there is a entire Messiah (on 3 CDs) presumably from the same recording session. I'll probably pick that up as well.

I find it interesting/amusing that there is a spacer included in the 60 CD box, as if they knew they skipped a few and that completists would pick the missing ones up and try to stuff them in the box. I'll probably do that

Edited by ejp626