Are there any box bargains currently available?

Thanks brownie - guess if the price is right I might go for it... have the old French CBS disc of the magnificient "The Peacocks", but everything else is new to me (except for "The Master", which I've heard but don't own). I guess I could live happily everafter without knowing most of this though...

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry if this has come up already but I was just wondering if anyone had taken advantage of the recent run of Concord boxes that have appeared in Italy...

Any idea what the shipping charge is to the US? I've gone to the site, but it won't tell me until after I give them my credit card, and I don't want to do that just yet.

(I'm kind of proud of myself to have gotten that far with a language I'm unfamiliar with!)

Sorry if this has come up already but I was just wondering if anyone had taken advantage of the recent run of Concord boxes that have appeared in Italy...

Any idea what the shipping charge is to the US? I've gone to the site, but it won't tell me until after I give them my credit card, and I don't want to do that just yet.

(I'm kind of proud of myself to have gotten that far with a language I'm unfamiliar with!)

Quick guidance:

Aggiungi al carrello = add to cart

Procedi all'acquiso = Proceed to checkout

If you're already client, pick: "Sono già cliente, e la mia password è" = "I am a returning customer, and my password is"

Choose the address

Choose shipping method (I get "Standard" & "Express")

The "regalare" thing is for gift options (check it and they'll appear later on)

Enter/pick your card, hit "Continua" ("Potrai controllare tutti i dati prima di ordinare" means "You can review all your data before ordering", so it's safe to hit that!)

And then you'll get the overview, including shipping costs.

And with "Ordina" ("Order"), you'll send in your order.

I have the Google toolbar installed and it will translate the page to english. Shipping to U.S. is 14 Euro + VAT whatever that is.

Thanks ubu!

What does "intestatario carta" mean? It later comes up as "nome sulla carta", which I am guessing means "name on the card".

I have the Google toolbar installed and it will translate the page to english. Shipping to U.S. is 14 Euro + VAT whatever that is.

Thanks Mike. I get 14 Euro too, with no VAT (value added tax).

There will be no VAT (value added tax, a kind of sale tax) for customers outside the European Union.

What does "intestatario carta" mean? It later comes up as "nome sulla carta", which I am guessing means "name on the card".

Yes, has to be the name on the card (I don't actually speak Italian, but it's easy to figure out... you merikins better learn some, might be useful in a few decades when yurp will be all islamic and you'll have to fight wars over here again :crazy: )

Thanks brownie - guess if the price is right I might go for it... have the old French CBS disc of the magnificient "The Peacocks", but everything else is new to me (except for "The Master", which I've heard but don't own). I guess I could live happily everafter without knowing most of this though...

Another World is a worthy and unique Getz album--I'd like to have it on CD actually.

Another World is a worthy and unique Getz album--I'd like to have it on CD actually.

Yeah, having checked a little closer, I guess I'll really buy this one!

Wonder what the band with Corea, Clarke, Williams and Airto sounds like!

And the bits I've heard of the LaVerne band weren't half bad, either.

...you merikins better learn some, might be useful in a few decades when yurp will be all islamic and you'll have to fight wars over here again :crazy: )

Next time you'll be on your own, buddy!

Thanks Flurin!

Btw, "intestatario", it dawned to me, has to mean something about testicles... probably because if you got a gold card you have "cojones" and visit Silvio's bunga bunga parties... just put your name there and you'll be invited! :lol:

Although already mentioned I think it is worth emphasising two points.

1) Prices include VAT which will be deducted for shipment outside Europe. In the case of Amazon Italy this is 20%.

2) Shipping on both Amazon Fance and Italy is indeed 14 Euros but this is a flat rate so it is not too bad if you order several items at once. Thus the Monk, Evans And Tatum combined would still be 14 Euros shipping. When I bought the Bil Evans Riverside & Milestone box (a great price for this music) I added a few other items. For instance, check out the RVG prices, especially the double sets and the 'Great Sessions' 3CD box prices.

What is the presentation like on these boxes? The number of CDs is different to the earlier boxes so how's that work? Is the mastering still the same? What's the documentation like? I'd say each one of these sets is a no-brainer for people on this board. I've got the earlier sets and won't buy these (I don't think) but it would be useful to the board if anyone could post further info. Um, if we discussed these already in another thread please just link me...

PS you do realise what the copyright issues are when importing pre-1960 music from Europe don't you? Well don't you?!

What is the presentation like on these boxes? The number of CDs is different to the earlier boxes so how's that work? Is the mastering still the same? What's the documentation like? I'd say each one of these sets is a no-brainer for people on this board. I've got the earlier sets and won't buy these (I don't think) but it would be useful to the board if anyone could post further info. Um, if we discussed these already in another thread please just link me...

PS you do realise what the copyright issues are when importing pre-1960 music from Europe don't you? Well don't you?!

Are you talking about the Fantasy boxes?

They're perfectly legal, cheapo releases from the source (which over here is Universal).

They come as Original Jazz Classics reissues in boxes, rather than as reissues of earlier boxes - minimal work done, I guess, quite unlikely that anything was remastered for this.

The only one I have is the Sonny Rollins and I can only talk about the booklet/documentation of that, accordingly: it's minimal, 20p leaflet, the cover on the left side, discographical info and tracklists.

Here's the entry on Universal Italy's site:

http://universalmusic.it/jazz/album/?ida=306445

Thanks for all the links! We haven't seen these in UK yet or at least I haven't. On copyright I am mentioning that since these are out of copyright there are no royalty payments due to the estates of the artists. If they were made in the US there would be. So I am joshing our US friend who fuss about Andorrans but will rush to buy these. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered...

Oh and I thought in some cases the number of disk was different but maybe not.

Edited by David Ayers

I have all these sets from Fantasy days and each one of them is a treasure.

The number of discs IS different, because, as I said, these reissue THE ALBUMS, not THE SESSIONS.

Hence the Rollins has one more disc but omits the Miles and Farmer and whatever other sideman dates the 7CD set included.

The Tatum Group has more discs, too, because in the 6CD set from earlier, the sessions were re-grouped (discs filled).

So these are no reissues of the old Fantasy boxes, rather bundled reissues of OJC discs (and again, what the "remastered" note means, I have no clue).

As for royalties... I get it now - slower than others, sorry... naïve question: if Universal Italy or whereever from releases music from beyond the 50 years barrier, wouldn't it still pay royalties? I guess not, huh?

And when Mosaic made the Lang/Venuti box, for instance, they only paid royalties for the half of it that back then wasn't yet 70 years old?

Oh, and the Miles box is around in stores here... I think I might have seen the Monk, too, but the Miles seems to be around regularly. The others haven't made it over here yet, either.

Oh, and the Miles box is around in stores here... I think I might have seen the Monk, too, but the Miles seems to be around regularly. The others haven't made it over here yet, either.

that's something i don't quite get: the Rollins I see frequently, the Miles, too, maybe I've also seen the Monk... but is it true that the Evans and Monk are available only from amazon.it and not from amazon.de, and why... btw, grooves-inc has the rollins box for 20.29 Euro with free international shipping, no idea how great a deal this is... (or is the Rollins really from Concord?)

No, the Rollins is from Universal Italy as well.

As for local stores: I guess no one there knows who this band called Art Tatum is (probably a prog-rock outfit from Italy). But Miles of course... the big Columbia box is still around everywhere, so another Miles box certainly caught the attention of those in charge.

The number of discs IS different, because, as I said, these reissue THE ALBUMS, not THE SESSIONS.

Hence the Rollins has one more disc but omits the Miles and Farmer and whatever other sideman dates the 7CD set included.

The Tatum Group has more discs, too, because in the 6CD set from earlier, the sessions were re-grouped (discs filled).

So these are no reissues of the old Fantasy boxes, rather bundled reissues of OJC discs (and again, what the "remastered" note means, I have no clue).

As for royalties... I get it now - slower than others, sorry... naïve question: if Universal Italy or whereever from releases music from beyond the 50 years barrier, wouldn't it still pay royalties? I guess not, huh?

And when Mosaic made the Lang/Venuti box, for instance, they only paid royalties for the half of it that back then wasn't yet 70 years old?

OK gotcha on content of sets, thanks.

On royalties Mosaic don't pay royalties but will pay a sum to the copyright holder where there is one. You can be very sure that Universal, Sony/RCA and EMI don't pay when they don't have to i.e. for their european issues of pre-1960 material. They no more own it than anyone else, but they own artwork etc.

OK gotcha on content of sets, thanks.

On royalties Mosaic don't pay royalties but will pay a sum to the copyright holder where there is one. You can be very sure that Universal, Sony/RCA and EMI don't pay when they don't have to i.e. for their european issues of pre-1960 material. They no more own it than anyone else, but they own artwork etc.

So we all ought to have bought US RVG CDs, I guess, at least in the eyes of some folks... (well, in some cases I did, to evade the darn copycrap over here).

Nice 7CD box from Sony France 'The Worlds of Stan Getz' just out:

Stan-Getz-The-world-of-Stan-Getz-Digipack-longbox-CD-album_z.jpg

Good price from Amazon.fr

Details in french and german!

Thanks for this. Got my copy yesterday. One thing worth noting is that there are only French-language liner notes. Also the case is one of those where the discs are pushed down on to little levers, with tiny catches to hold them in place. So expect half the discs to be rattling loose when you receive it. Otherwise, it's a nice package.