Amy Winehouse

Dave James

Several sources are reporting that Winehouse purchased $2,000 worth of crack and heroin the night she passed away. Self-destructive to the very end. The idea of a death wish has to be part of the discussion. Makes you wonder what might have happened if she'd never hooked up with that scum sucker Blake Fielder-Civil. As I understand it, Winehouse was vehemently opposed to drugs until she met this guy. But, I suppose if it wasn't him, it probably would have been someone else.

On a more upbeat note, there is a fair amount of chatter concerning a third Winehouse album. I guess she'd finished a lot of the vocal work on about a dozen new tunes, so filling in whatever blanks remain, assuming the lawyers don't get involved, shouldn't pose an insurmountable problem.

And the family says she had a brain seizure from with drawl symptoms. We'll know more when the tests are in.

Anybody that deep into their addiction has such a don't give a fuck/don't care attitude, it amounts to a death wish.

I think you mean withdrawal symptoms :)

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Several sources are reporting that Winehouse purchased $2,000 worth of crack and heroin the night she passed away. Self-destructive to the very end. The idea of a death wish has to be part of the discussion. Makes you wonder what might have happened if she'd never hooked up with that scum sucker Blake Fielder-Civil. As I understand it, Winehouse was vehemently opposed to drugs until she met this guy. But, I suppose if it wasn't him, it probably would have been someone else.

On a more upbeat note, there is a fair amount of chatter concerning a third Winehouse album. I guess she'd finished a lot of the vocal work on about a dozen new tunes, so filling in whatever blanks remain, assuming the lawyers don't get involved, shouldn't pose an insurmountable problem.

And the family says she had a brain seizure from with drawl symptoms. We'll know more when the tests are in.

Anybody that deep into their addiction has such a don't give a fuck/don't care attitude, it amounts to a death wish.

Actually, here in Florida & Georgia many people show signs of "with drawl". :)

Actually, here in Florida & Georgia many people show signs of "with drawl". :)

:lol:

I did.

Going back a bit in this thread, somebody brought up the question of why celebrity kills so many, and someone else stated that "it isn't the celebrity that kills, it's the disease."

I would agree with that, for the most part. However, celebrity is a factor in several ways. People are less inclined to say "no" to a famous person with money to burn. That's why Elvis Presley was able to abuse prescription drugs the way he did. What doctor was going to refuse to write Elvis a prescription for sleeping pills or laxatives? It's why Michael Jackson was able to have plastic surgery until his face fell off. When a person gets famous, there are more opportunities to abuse, and fewer people willing to stick their necks out and try to intervene...

Going back a bit in this thread, somebody brought up the question of why celebrity kills so many, and someone else stated that "it isn't the celebrity that kills, it's the disease."

I would agree with that, for the most part. However, celebrity is a factor in several ways. People are less inclined to say "no" to a famous person with money to burn. That's why Elvis Presley was able to abuse prescription drugs the way he did. What doctor was going to refuse to write Elvis a prescription for sleeping pills or laxatives? It's why Michael Jackson was able to have plastic surgery until his face fell off. When a person gets famous, there are more opportunities to abuse, and fewer people willing to stick their necks out and try to intervene...

That was me.

Check out this article in todays NYTimez: Who Falls to Addiction, and Who Is Unscathed?

Edited by 7/4

When a person gets famous, there are more opportunities to abuse, and fewer people willing to stick their necks out and try to intervene...

One would hope the person's real friends/family/spouse would intervene. We know the hangers-on will continue to hang on and tell the star what they want to hear. The problem may be in part that in a lot of cases, water seeking its own level, the friends might just be equally screwed-up. Regardless of fame or money, I feel really bad for anyone so isolated---by their own design or the trappings of celebrity---that they have not one friend to kick their ass and tell them to go get help. That person is lost. But the well-worn cliche about no one being able to be helped unless they really want to is, obviously, true. So the celeb lucky enough to have caring friends to tell them but too far gone to listen or care is the most lost.

Check out this article in todays NYTimez: Who Falls to Addiction, and Who Is Unscathed?

Good article.

Bringing it closer to home, jazz musicians, I was close friends with a much-beloved musician (I loved him very much myself) who was addicted to heroin. Said addiction definitely hastened not only his own early demise but a cocaine habit contributed to the placement in a nursing home and eventually the death of his wife (also a really nice person).

I'm not sure if this guy was 'wired for addiction' as per some of the cited studies. I'm not a scientist who's done research of that type. I like to think I have a little bit of insight into people though, so I'll say this: This person had a lightning-fast mind. He played fast, reacted fast, liked fast tempos. It was hard to follow his speech, he talked so fast. The ideas expressed were brilliant, as was his musical output. He once explained to me in a candid moment the reasons for his addiction. I don't doubt them, nor would I fluff off all the sociological-psychological-environmental data. But I also always felt that the guy literally couldn't keep up with the pace of his own thoughts. They were spinning almost out of control and he needed a damper just to handle it.

Again, not to simplify this, but I suspect this is far from the first brilliant person moving too fast in the cerebellum to discover H as an effective slower-downer....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

While this comes as no surprise, it makes her epitaph even sadder. I agree that here parents were in denial. Maybe she was so far gone, no one could have helped her, but if they could have squared up with the facts, who knows, it might have made a difference. As is the case with so many musicians who left sooner than they should, all of us are deprived of what could have been. In the case of Amy Winehouse, there's hardly anything left. What? 20-30 songs? A couple of hours of music? Wow.

• 7 months later...