Bob Cranshaw remembers "The Sidewinder".

Harold_Z

1) RVG also mentions the splice in the Blue Note South Bank Show, but seems to imply that it was because Cranshaw had trouble handling the break, not that he didn't remember it. IIRC, he is trying to make the point that there was a lot of splicing in BN sessions.

2) Trumpeter Michael Ridley (Larry's brother) who used to hang with Lee told me that Jackie McLean was also slated to be on that session, so it would have been a sextet date. Barry Harris did not remember this when a friend of mine asked him. I hope I get to ask Cranshaw one day.

Bertrand.

Cranshaw used to live out near Farmindale, NY (years ago a friend of mine worked at a car rental place he used regularly). So he might be in the book; give him a call.

Part 2:

I'm pretty sure this is him:

Bob Cranshaw

54 Sunnyside Blvd, Ste K

Plainview, NY 11803-1517

(516) 576-9436

Edited by AllenLowe

Bob Cranshaw is a very nice guy. One of my fondest memories is of when I went to SUNY-Binghamton in the mid-70's and was head of the student jazz concert commission. One of our concerts featured Sonny Rollins ("Nucleus" was the current album, with "The Cutting Edge" coming out soon after). The band arrived in the mid-afternoon. Most of the attention was commanded by Sonny, who gave a group interview (all the BlueNoteofiles went wild). While that was going on, Bob struck up a conversation with me, of all people. We went for a long walk around the campus, and talked about all sorts of things. At the end, he invited me to visit him at his house on Long Island. I never did, but I'll never forget the graciousness he showed me.