The Fabulous Miss D: The Keynote, Decca, & Mercury Singles 1943-19

crisp

My problem with all of these Hip-O-Selects is not the music... The problem is they are over-priced and the packaging sucks..... :angry: :angry: :angry:

They're indeed way overpriced and I don't like the sound on some of the ones I have/had (sold a few) either, it's too loud and harsh to my ears.

Agreed: too expensive and ridiculously packaged. However, it's good that the music is coming out, and discounts must occur eventually. A while ago I got the Ella set for about 20 euros on Amazon France, and that's the sort of deal I'll be looking out for.

I like their packaging.

Got the Oscar Peterson and Ella sets for a good price but haven't actually played them so far, just had a look and spun a few tracks.

But I do agree on the price... stuff like their Motown and James Brown singles look great though.

If I could afford that, I'd be all over them!

And this Dinah W. set looks great! I've got the "Swingin' Miss D" VEE CD reissue and grew to like it quite a bit (it combines several Mercury sessions - probably partial sessions - with the one Keynote session).

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll probably get it. although I have to agree re the packaging (sucks) and sound (shrill).

I removed all the CDs and keep the packaging elsewhere.

Edit: The packing is actually quite groovy, but otherwise pretty useless for someone who likes to keep his collection nice and orderly

;) Edited by neveronfriday

Where did you get the Peterson, King Ubu? I assume the offer is long-gone, but if there's a place I can add to my one-to-watch list...

It was a one-off in a local store... they just had some boxes they were selling for good prices, including that one!

My main objection to the packaging is that it takes up so much space. I also suspect it adds to the cost. I like attractive packaging, but you can take these things too far.

I put these boxes on the top of my book shelves... Mosaics, Fantasy longboxes etc... height isn't an issue up there.

Virtually all of this was issued on the Complete Mercury boxes, so if one has those, one has almost all this material, with one or two exceptions, I think.

gregmo

Yes, I have those and I'm sure you are right.

I'm considering this set as a present for someone else, especially because those Mercury boxes cost an arm and a leg today.

Virtually all of this was issued on the Complete Mercury boxes, so if one has those, one has almost all this material, with one or two exceptions, I think.

Yeah, but they are long-gone and, as neveronfriday says, pricey to collect today. For those of us who missed the boat on those (and I've been buying jazz CDs since the late Eighties), this is a useful collection.

Yeah, but they are long-gone and, as neveronfriday says, pricey to collect today. For those of us who missed the boat on those (and I've been buying jazz CDs since the late Eighties), this is a useful collection.

Crisp,

I spent several months hunting down the Mercury triples.

If you are patient and check each and every world-wide Amazon site, etc., you will be able to get these at a reasonable price, if you are lucky.

Hell, I waited months to get certain volumes, jumping on them the day someone who didn't know what he/she had put them up for sale.

I have lots of music, but Dinah Washington - even the (later) stuff other people hate - is a cornerstone of my collection.

Those 7 triples are worth it all the way!

I love her voice, her intonation ... everything.

She could breathe life into even the shoddiest of songs.

Go for'em!

Volkher (NeverOF)

P.S.: Although I get piss*d off regularly when things I paid a load for become much cheaper, I'd be the first one to bow East, West, North and South if the complete Mercury was available in a (much) cheaper format.

Labels being what they are though, I wouldn't get my hopes up!

Crisp,

I spent several months hunting down the Mercury triples.

If you are patient and check each and every world-wide Amazon site, etc., you will be able to get these at a reasonable price, if you are lucky.

Hell, I waited months to get certain volumes, jumping on them the day someone who didn't know what he/she had put them up for sale.

I have lots of music, but Dinah Washington - even the (later) stuff other people hate - is a cornerstone of my collection.

Those 7 triples are worth it all the way!

I love her voice, her intonation ... everything.

She could breathe life into even the shoddiest of songs.

Go for'em!

Volkher (NeverOF)

P.S.: Although I get piss*d off regularly when things I paid a load for become much cheaper, I'd be the first one to bow East, West, North and South if the complete Mercury was available in a (much) cheaper format.

Labels being what they are though, I wouldn't get my hopes up!

Volker! Good to see you! Yes, I also had to hunt those down, though I did it a few years ago when they were still a bit more available. Same with the Sarah Vaughan Mercury boxes, and I was quite a while getting hold of that one Helen Merrill Mercury box! Finally got hold of a very fine Japanese pressing of that one. Way cool.

gregmo

• 10 months later...