Leslie Nielsen 1926-2010

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is kind of ridiculous. I think it's pretty obvious that taste in comedy, like taste in music, is entirely subjective. And what makes me laugh might not make you laugh. For example:

Monty Python: Yes. Benny Hill: No.

Early Woody Allen: Yes. Any Jerry Lewis: No.

Eddie Murphy on SNL: Yes. Eddie Murphy's movies (for the most part): No.

"Young Frankenstein": Yes. "History of the World, Part I": No.

Ricky Gervais' "The Office": Yes. The American version of "The Office": No.

George Carlin: Yes. Dane Cook: No.

Seth Rogan: Yes. Adam Sandler: No.

That's just an example. I'm sure many agree with me on many of these, and I'm sure that just as many strenuously disagree. I am allowed to find Leslie Nielson to be a modestly talented hack actor. My opinion of him hasn't changed because he's dead. I also think that Ronald Reagan was the worst thing to ever happen to this country, and I continued to say so even after he died.

Believe me, Leslie Nielson is not bothered by my opinion of his talent. Not now. And when he was alive, he had plenty of money and fans to assure him that he was great.

I'm not a professional anything, but I liked Leslie Nielsen.

And he was most certainly 'in on the joke.'

RIP and thanks for the chuckles.

So he was in on the fact that he wasn't really funny?

Edited by Alexander

Now he's achieved "modestly talented hack actor" status, huh?

I guess that's progress.

The reality is that he wasn't cast in Airplane! because he was ever considered a 'hack' of any sort. He was cast because he had a level of 'recognition' as the kind of actor typically cast in the kind of movie that ZAZ were spoofing.

You don't have to think he was funny, but Leslie Nielsen was never a hack actor of any kind.

This is kind of ridiculous. I think it's pretty obvious that taste in comedy, like taste in music, is entirely subjective. And what makes me laugh might not make you laugh. For example:

Monty Python: Yes. Benny Hill: No.

Early Woody Allen: Yes. Any Jerry Lewis: No.

Eddie Murphy on SNL: Yes. Eddie Murphy's movies (for the most part): No.

"Young Frankenstein": Yes. "History of the World, Part I": No.

Ricky Gervais' "The Office": Yes. The American version of "The Office": No.

George Carlin: Yes. Dane Cook: No.

Seth Rogan: Yes. Adam Sandler: No.

So he was in on the fact that he wasn't really funny?

Didn't you just state that taste in comedy is entirely subjective??? Most people seem to think he was funny, beyond being a straight guy in funny situations...he fooled us all, that bastard! :angry:

I hope it won't upset you too much, but I agree with what you said on Eddie Murphy, Dane Cook and Jerry Lewis. History of the World has some laughs in it though. I would probably watch an Adam Sandler movie before a Seth Rogan movie, which isn't saying much(though Click wasn't bad)

Has this Thread-Offtopic-Derailed.jpg happened now??? ;)

This is kind of ridiculous. I think it's pretty obvious that taste in comedy, like taste in music, is entirely subjective. And what makes me laugh might not make you laugh.

I am allowed to find Leslie Nielson to be a modestly talented hack actor.

So you don't see any contradiction between those two statements?

This is kind of ridiculous. I think it's pretty obvious that taste in comedy, like taste in music, is entirely subjective. And what makes me laugh might not make you laugh.

Alex contradicting himself? Surely, you can't be serious.

Now he's achieved "modestly talented hack actor" status, huh?

I guess that's progress.

The reality is that he wasn't cast in Airplane! because he was ever considered a 'hack' of any sort. He was cast because he had a level of 'recognition' as the kind of actor typically cast in the kind of movie that ZAZ were spoofing.

You don't have to think he was funny, but Leslie Nielsen was never a hack actor of any kind.

You obvious haven't seen "Forbidden Planet."

None. A "hack" is an artist who does something for money, no matter what it is. He will accept any role, no matter how demeaning; no matter how bad the film. For most of his career, Michael Caine was a "hack." Some of the films he made were great. Many were all right. Some were outright awful. He didn't care. He got paid.

In recent years, Caine has made a string of wonderful films. He can afford to be more selective in the roles he chooses, and he does so. Caine was always a very, very talented actor. He was just a hack.

Incidentally, these days most of my acting work consists of commercials, industrial films, in-house promotions, etc. So I am DEFINITELY a hack, although I don't make enough money at it to be able to be picky. Maybe someday...

Edited by Alexander

A "hack" is an artist who does something for money, no matter what it is. He will accept any role, no matter how demeaning; no matter how bad the film. For most of his career, Michael Caine was a "hack." Some of the films he made were great. Many were all right. Some were outright awful. He didn't care. He got paid.

In recent years, Caine has made a string of wonderful films. He can afford to be more selective in the roles he chooses, and he does so. Caine was always a very, very talented actor. He was just a hack.

Incidentally, these days most of my acting work consists of commercials, industrial films, in-house promotions, etc. So I am DEFINITELY a hack, although I don't make enough money at it to be able to be picky. Maybe someday...

So Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Lionel Hampton, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, etc are hacks. :mellow:

I still think you're being a bit of a jerk, Alexander, but you'll be able to return the insult when David Spade dies of ignorant condescending smugness and I piss all over his thread. Believe me, 'modestly talented hack actor' will be a glowing review compared to my comments at that time...

I still think you're being a bit of a jerk, Alexander, but you'll be able to return the insult when David Spade dies of ignorant condescending smugness and I piss all over his thread. Believe me, 'modestly talented hack actor' will be a glowing review compared to my comments at that time...

I'll be right there with you on David Spade. I have nothing good to say about that guy...

A "hack" is an artist who does something for money, no matter what it is. He will accept any role, no matter how demeaning; no matter how bad the film. For most of his career, Michael Caine was a "hack." Some of the films he made were great. Many were all right. Some were outright awful. He didn't care. He got paid.

So Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Lionel Hampton, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, etc are hacks. :mellow:

Hackwork: literary, artistic, or professional work done on order usually according to formula and in conformity with commercial standards.

Does that definition fit with the above mentioned artists? I don't think it does. It does, however, fit with much of Michael Caine's work (as I previously noted) and pretty much all of Leslie Nielsen's work.

Hackwork: literary, artistic, or professional work done on order usually according to formula and in conformity with commercial standards.

Wrong. From Merriam-Webster:

hack (adjective): Work for hire especially with mediocre professional standards.

Ok. Whatever. By any standard, Nielsen fits the definition.

hack (adjective): Work for hire especially with mediocre professional standards.

All actors are paid for their work. Nielsen was loved(or at least well-liked) by many, apparently except for you. Let it go, please. Everybody realizes you don't like him, you're not going to convince anybody else you're right.

Edited by Aggie87

All actors are paid for their work. Nielsen was loved(or at least well-liked) by many, apparently except for you. Let it go, please. Everybody realizes you don't like him, you're not going to convince anybody else you're right.

Not trying to convince anybody. Just defending my POV.