how many records do you own?

manfred

if i see all your suggestions and recommendations, i often wonder, how much records you must have...

so i am really curious....

how many vinyl do you (still) have,

and how many CDs?

Vinyl: about 1.400

CDs: about 1.240

sorry, if we have had this topic already, did not find it....

kind regards,

manfred

Edited by manfred

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Chuck Nessa, AllenLowe, rostasi, paulsecor and jeffcrom for your answers, that seem to be our common fate......

Your answers will help me to soothe and calm my wife and my daughter (who thinks, that is completely unjust, as she has not enough money to buy records, and I buy them and do not listen....)

Before the advent of CDs, I did count my LPs and there were at least 4,000, jazz and classical, perhaps a good deal more, Over the years many of those were replaced by CDs and let go, but you've got to hold onto any jazz LP you like that isn't on CD and some classical LPs (e.g. IIRC Jochum's "Abduction From The Sergalio") for the same reason. Where I cleaned house a lot was weeding out multiple versions of many (but not all) classical works and deciding that some things I was probably never going to listen to again.

When CDs started coming in for real, I sold 18,000 of my vinyls to my friend,Karl Emil Knudsen (Storyville Records). He passed, so they are in storage somewhere in Denmark. I kept about500, which I still have. My CD collection went up to 9000. but theft reduced that number by about 5000. I don't count them anymore, but I probably have about 5000.

I also have about 700 45s, mostly pop.

I actually just did a rough count, since I need to rethink my shelving and do some unloading.

About 2700 CDs (including those in odd boxes, such as Mosaics - might be a bit more than that), and a few hundred LPs. Also a few hundred cassettes.

I'd like to get the CDs down to 2000, but it's a pretty solid collection, if I must say so.

What do people do for shelving? I can't really afford Can-Am, but open bookshelf after open bookshelf just isn't doing it for me anymore.

We've had storage threads before. I'll go find one.

edit: oh, also about 51,000 songs on iTunes, which would last over 4 months without repeating.

Edited by Adam

Not that many these days. The vinyl collection was lost in a move at one point several years back (I have about 40 now), the CD collection is somewhere around 500.

A few long stretches of unemployment did the collection in. Not really worried about it, I "absorbed" a great deal of music in the past decade or so, I'm only re-purchasing items that I can't live without. It's helped me prioritize and still leave the door open for discovering new things.

Counted by individual disc I'm at 9 500. If I play ten a day I'll get through them in three years!

[sorry - that includes MP3. Most of my purchasing of the last few years has been MP3. My database counts recordings, not formats)

Edited by A Lark Ascending

My database of jazz discs says I'm about 7.500 discs, with several remarks:

a) it also includes mp3 (the recount can only be done by item, not by format)

b) multiple box-sets are counted by the number of individual discs (this is, a 5-disc box-set contributes with 5 discs)

c) discs with more than one leader are duplicated (this is, a Gonsalves-Terry leaded disc is included as one disc by Gonsalves and one by Terry).

Classical, flamenco, rock and pop discs are stored in my attic and are part of a different database.

I've mentioned this before, but my LP total actually went up a bit after the whole CD thing started, when I realized there were significant LP reissues that sounded much better than CD reissues of the same material - this has largely changed, but there's still stuff I prize on LP, like a Kid Ory/Johnny Dodds from maybe 1927 that is in pristine sound - also, a Thomas Morris Black and White that scares me, it sounds so clear - plus a few Decca LPs of amazing clarity.

More than I'll listen to over the rest of my life. Why I keep buying more is a mystery to me.

Same here too. (I see I am in good company ... hee hee)

Actually I've stopped counting accurately quite a long time ago but a collector's feature for a fanzine made me recalculate the other day:

Some 6,000 LPs (12in), some 700 to 800 CDs (I still prefer vinyl if I can), plus 300 to 400 10in LPs, aprox 1,000 78s and 1,500 45s (singles and EPs) - the majority of it jazz, but not nearly all of it.

But storage space is running out fast here too (if I am to keep things halfway in order).

As for the basic dilemma, see Paul Secor's wise words above. :D

Edited by Big Beat Steve