Ron Carter Great Big Band

RiRiIII

After some inquiries, I got the titles and credits of this CD which will be later on released also in the US and as SACD; no bad at ALL:

Song, Composer

Caravan,

Juan Tizol, Duke Ellington

The Eternal Triangle,

Sonny Stitt

Pork Chop,

Robert M. Freedman

Opus One Point Five (Theme for C.B.),

Ron Carter

Con Alma,

Dizzy Gillespie

Sail Away,

Tom Harrell

Opus Number One,

Sy Oliver

Sweet Emma,

Nat Adderly

Saint Louis Blues,

W.C. Handy

Line For Lyons,

Gerry Mulligan

Footprints,

Wayne Shorter

The Golden Striker,

John Lewis

Loose Change,

Ron Carter

Arranger & Music Director: Robert M. Freedman

Woodwinds:

Jerry Dodgion (Lead Alto, Soprano)

Steve Wilson (2nd Alto)

Wayne Escoffery (1st Tenor)

Scott Robinson (2nd Tenor)

Jay Brandford (Bari)

Charles Pillow (English Horn on Opus One Point Five)

Trombones:

Jason Jackson (Lead)

Steve Davis

James Burton III

Douglas Purviance

Trumpets:

Tony Kadleck (Lead)

Greg Gisbert

Jon Owens

Alex Norris

Rhythm Section:

Ron Carter (Bass)

Mulgrew Miller (Piano)

Lewis Nash (Drums)

Rooster_Ties:

I remember Jay Brandford from years ago. He lived in the Boston area and also had a jazz radio show for several years on the same station (WMBR-FM) that I'm on and that Stereojack was on (prior to his long stint on WGBH). I recall that Jay initially concentrated on alto saxophone but appears to have added baritone saxophone in later years. He was in the Artie Shaw orchestra directed by Dick Johnson for several years and ended up leaving the Boston area for New York in the early 1990s.

I've come across his name occasionally on a variety of sessions, including some David Berger CDs and a Ben Riley Monk tribute. A nice guy as I recall.

Google isn't coming up with anything, save for a couple individuals I'm not familiar with: Tony Kadleck (trumpet), and Jay Brandford (alto).

I'm tempted to check this one out, strictly for Bob Freedman. That man is a writer!

If you've never heard the album him & Grady Tate did together, check it out. It won't be to everybody's tastes, but by no definition, even an expanded one, can it be called "safe", traditional", or "predictable". "Arresting", however, fits just fine.

He also did a really wack album on Cobblestone that was a pretty bold amalgamation of modern classical w/jazz soloing. Not sure I really "liked" that one all that much, but oh well about that. It was still pretty bold stuff.

On a more "mainstream" level, he's also the guy who did the charts for Wynton's Hot House Flowers. My feelings about Wynton are well known, but this is an album I still listen to, so wonderful are Freedman's arrangements.

No writer of stock-quality arrangements he!

• 1 month later...

An update on Jay Brandford. He also plays in Abdullah Ibrahim's New York version of Ekaya. That group played last week in Cape Town (alas, I was there on vacation but didn't hear of the concert until the day after).

Rooster_Ties:

I remember Jay Brandford from years ago. He lived in the Boston area and also had a jazz radio show for several years on the same station (WMBR-FM) that I'm on and that Stereojack was on (prior to his long stint on WGBH). I recall that Jay initially concentrated on alto saxophone but appears to have added baritone saxophone in later years. He was in the Artie Shaw orchestra directed by Dick Johnson for several years and ended up leaving the Boston area for New York in the early 1990s.

I've come across his name occasionally on a variety of sessions, including some David Berger CDs and a Ben Riley Monk tribute. A nice guy as I recall.

Google isn't coming up with anything, save for a couple individuals I'm not familiar with: Tony Kadleck (trumpet), and Jay Brandford (alto).

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Great news.......amazon has this up for pre-order as a domestic release with a slightly different cover, but at standard price levels....$13-14......due out 9/13/11.

Great news! I recently checked on Amazon to see whether it was available for a reasonable price, but the domestic release wasn't listed yet.