ebay madness re: vinyl

Newsflash - the Sonny Clark fetched $3.5k :o

Sonny Clark LP

Wow. 3.5k.

I once wrote here that I went to a company picnic. There was a DJ that had his booth all plastered with 45's and LP's, both the album covers and records. He had some old Blue Note with 47 W 63rd pressed on the covers. Damn, if only he knew what they would have sold for. I don't the condition the LP's were in before he stapled them to some 2 by 4's.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Considering that the actual mono takes for this LP are different, and remain unissued, I don't see the real value in having a "Mono" version of this one...

Conquistador

Granted, I've never seen a mono pressing of it, but really, it doesn't look like anybody's biting.

Edited by clifford_thornton

Considering that the actual mono takes for this LP are different, and remain unissued, I don't see the real value in having a "Mono" version of this one...

Conquistador

Granted, I've never seen a mono pressing of it, but really, it doesn't look like anybody's biting.

I have a bunch of these Mono promos from the early Liberty era. They are DJ "fold-downs" of the stereo mix for radio play (I wonder how much air time Cecil Taylor was getting back in '67?). None of them have the RVG in the dead wax, but they sound fine. The only reason to buy them is because you collect all that is Blue Note. That's why I have them, but I wouldn't pay more than $20 for any of them . . . .

I have a bunch of these Mono promos from the early Liberty era. They are DJ "fold-downs" of the stereo mix for radio play (I wonder how much air time Cecil Taylor was getting back in '67?). None of them have the RVG in the dead wax, but they sound fine. The only reason to buy them is because you collect all that is Blue Note. That's why I have them, but I wouldn't pay more than $20 for any of them . . . .

Wonder why they did that for DJs?

I assume these are somehow different than the New York 4200s with Liberty jackets (e.g. Let 'Em Roll, Sweet Honeybee, Unit Structures, Stick-Up)? I have a nice stereo Liberty/RVG of Conquistador ($15), so the mono wouldn't really be an upgrade. Of course, Atomic probably wants $50.

Edited by clifford_thornton

There is currently a Gene Krupa 78 on eBay going for

$1,499. Pressed on Swiss Columbia. To Be or Not

to Be-Bop. Supposedly only 3 copies in existance

and never released.

I checked one of my Collectables Krupa CDs,

Ballads, Boogie and Bop and this song is included

on one of the tracks. Hmmmmmm.

There is also an obscure Dizzy Gillespie recording

of Groovin' High, Guild 1001 featuring Dexter Gordon

instead of Charlie Parker. Found this on an Indigo CD of

the same title, and also on a Smithsonian 2 LP set I

got on eBay for $20.

Is someone really gonna bid on this?

There are also some sketchy auctions currently

on eBay for The Complete Keynote Collection.

There is also an obscure Dizzy Gillespie recording

of Groovin' High, Guild 1001 featuring Dexter Gordon

instead of Charlie Parker. Found this on an Indigo CD of

the same title, and also on a Smithsonian 2 LP set I

got on eBay for $20.

Is someone really gonna bid on this?

The track was not known to exist and was not listed in discographies until one turned up in the 1970's and was issued on a Phoenix LP. I believe that there were very few copies pressed. I've had 20-30 copies of the Guild 78 pass through my hands over the years, and it's always the common (Parker) take. Of course, once something is issued, then it can be dubbed and reissued to death, but the original is still rare.

• 2 weeks later...

Church Number Nine

Shit, I paid a fifth of what this went for and felt I was "going for it!" Great Frank Wright session, but jeez, this is bananas...

Always loved the Frank Wright ESPs even though they has my wife running from the room screaming when I "crank" them up!! They only sound good to me LOUD--know what I mean?

She just left for the store--think I'll pull one out and BLAST it!

Edited by Allan Songer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...