And You Think You Have a Large Collection!

John Tapscott

It sounds grim though, doesn't it:

'Maybe the easiest way of describing the show's content (apart from listening and enjoying the show first hand which is by FAR the best way!!) is to tell what its NOT ....... I exclude early boogie woogie.....in fact I exclude the 20's and 30's (almost) completely and there's precious little from the 40's...........I exclude atonal avant garde jazz......I exclude 'elevator' music/muzak...............so what does that leave? .....simply the very best melodic jazz by the greatest artists who've ever graced a recording studio or stage.'

I'm having a tough time reconciling the last sentence with the others. And I don't like his floor tiles.

'Maybe the easiest way of describing the show's content (apart from listening and enjoying the show first hand which is by FAR the best way!!) is to tell what its NOT ....... I exclude early boogie woogie.....in fact I exclude the 20's and 30's (almost) completely and there's precious little from the 40's...........I exclude atonal avant garde jazz......I exclude 'elevator' music/muzak...............so what does that leave? .....simply the very best melodic jazz by the greatest artists who've ever graced a recording studio or stage.'

The guy doesn't sound very broadminded. What has he got against the 20's, 30's, and 40's? So, what, he doesn't like New Orleans jazz, swing, or bop? WTF?

The guy doesn't sound very broadminded. What has he got against the 20's, 30's, and 40's? So, what, he doesn't like New Orleans jazz, swing, or bop? WTF?

He's got a world-class Kenny G collection--or so it's rumored.

I couldn't help but think of Kenny Guh today when reading this:

Michael Ruhlman, an expert in meat curing who is writing a book on Italian salumi, doesn’t flinch from calling pepperoni pizza a “bastard” dish, a distorted reflection of wholesome tradition. “Bread, cheese and salami is a good idea,” he said. “But America has a way of taking a good idea, mass-producing it to the point of profound mediocrity, then losing our sense of where the idea comes from.”

...from the NYTimes: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/02/dining/02pepperoni.html?ex=1312261200&en=c23f3fe2da5eae47&ei=5087&WT.mc_id=DW-D-I-NYT-MOD-MOD-M187-ROS-0211-HDR&WT.mc_ev=click

My reactions exactly.

After having seen the topic title I was expecting a picture of a FAR larger collection anyway. ;)

And after having read his exclusion criteria I definitely felt underwhelmed. In fact this "melodic" blurb makes me think of the kind of "jazzy" MOR stuff that would have gotten played on the AFN FM easy listening programs over here where you'd regularly find artists like AHMAD JAMAL programmed in between Hugo Winterhalter and Mantovani. :rolleyes:

Edited by Big Beat Steve

The guy is mostly in what you could call straight ahead jazz, that's his choice, if you don't like it go somewhere else, he's not the first jazz or music fan to be on the narrowminded side, I agree he seems a bit of a tat but I guess he feels strongly about the music of his liking.

Personnally I like to be all over the place, but that's my thing ain't forcing to take the ride with yours truly

Perhaps it's a sound-quality issue. He might be a bit anal about only playing post-high fidelity discs on his show. For all we know he may have plenty of pre-Fifties music in his collection.

I think it's a good idea to limit yourself to one kind of jazz on a radio show. Too often you'll get a "jazz" show that tries to cast its net wide and ends up unlistenable as a result. I had Jamie Cullum's execrable Radio 2 show on last night while doing the washing up and had to turn it off as it veered from Mel Torme to someone called Dosh, then to Lorez Alexandria and so on, back and forth, with Cullum boasting and displaying his ignorance in between. Each of those artists might be OK, but all mixed up together it's like having your starter, main course and dessert all at the same time.

I had Jamie Cullum's execrable Radio 2 show on last night while doing the washing up and had to turn it off as it veered from Mel Torme to someone called Dosh, then to Lorez Alexandria and so on, back and forth, with Cullum boasting and displaying his ignorance in between. Each of those artists might be OK, but all mixed up together it's like having your starter, main course and dessert all at the same time.

Never heard this show and will avoid it if it is as bad as it sounds here. Thanks !

Although I won't knock the guy for having his own taste, it's odd to have a collection THAT big and not explore a bit outside the usual. My collection isn't nearly as large but spans many genres and well into stuff which isn't my usual cup of tea.

Here is the playlist for his most recent show:

"This weeks show and albums:

Jazz 179 Playlist

01. Art Hodes - Bye & Bye

02. Scott Hamilton/Alan Barnes - Hi-Ya

03. Marian McPartland - I've Told Every Little Star

04. Dizzy Gillespie - Tanga

05. Francis Bay - Perdido

06. David Newton - Both Sides Now

07. Alice Babs - More Understanding Than A Man

08. Willie Smith - One O'Clock Jump

09. Jimmy & Doug Raney - How My Heart sings