Freddie Hubbard, Pinnacle: Live and Unreleased

Rooster_Ties

Just stumbled on notice of this, quite by accident.

I've been curious to hear some of Phil Ranelin's short stint with Freddie circa 1979-80, and from what I've read about their two studio dates together (Skagly and The Love Connection - :rfr ) -- I'm guessing this new, live document might be a whole LOT better way to go.

Long and fairly informative Press Release, and track listing with samples. Appears to be due in early May (despite the press release saying early March).

HCD-2007-feat.jpg

1. The Intrepid Fox (F. Hubbard) ------- 8:02

2. First Light (F. Hubbard) ----------- 10:13

3. One of Another Kind (F. Hubbard) --- 12:26

4. Happiness is Now (F. Hubbard) ------- 7:11

5. The Summer Knows (F. Hubbard) ------- 8:28

6. Blues for Duane (F. Hubbard) -------- 9:18

7. Giant Steps (F. Hubbard) ------------ 8:45

Freddie Hubbard - trumpet, flugelhorn

Billy Childs - piano, Rhodes

Larry Klein - bass

Phil Ranelin - trombone (1-4, 6, 7)

Hadley Caliman - tenor saxophone (3, 6, 7)

David Schnitter - tenor saxophone (1, 2, 4)

Eddie Marshall - drums (3, 5, 6, 7)

Sinclair Lott - drums (1, 2, 4)

Don't know either of the tenor players, though I'm sure others here probably do.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

That's my photo of Freddie on the cover.

I haven't received my copy yet.

These are from Todd Barkan's tapes made at the Keystone Korner. Toddy has lots.

I know that they are talking about a Dexter Gordon date to be released, and I would guess, more to come from other artists.

BTW, I was trying to find more info about a new Phil Ranelin disc that appears to have come out today. But other than the tracklisting on AMG (and the cover), I can't seem to find much info about it (I was looking for a full listing of the participants, and also the composers of all the tunes)...

p38978pivif.jpg

AMG link (fwiw)

Edit: Amazon has the musicians, I see - still looking for composer credits.

Those searching -- note the less-than-standard spelling of "Perseverance" on the cover (as "Perserverence") -- and how Google auto-corrects for spelling in some cases (and not others).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I've been curious to hear some of Phil Ranelin's short stint with Freddie circa 1979-80, and from what I've read about their two studio dates together (Skagly and The Love Connection - :rfr ) -- I'm guessing this new, live document might be a whole LOT better way to go.

FWIW, according to an eBay listing, it appears Ranelin is also on this 1981 Hubbard LP too: Mistral (that's how it's spelled)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's out as of yesterday. Anyone heard it yet? The track lengths are quite a bit shorter than the 1981 Keystone stuff that Fantasy released, as previously noted. Full performances? How's the sound quaility? Also, I wasn't even familiar with Mistral,(1981 was a tough year for me and it looks like it never has made it to CD, where I would have become aware of it after the fact). Art Pepper, Phil Ranelin and Freddie is some kinda front line, yet it gets a poor review in AMG. Any thoughts on that one?

There are only a couple of solos from each sidemen on the entire disc, but this is all Freddie, and he's really killin!

The sound quality isn't perfect, but then again, the performances are great.

By the way, Todd is back at Dizzy's four night a week and is recovering well.

I found this video for the CD:

Edited by marcello

There are only a couple of solos from each sidemen on the entire disc

Which would seem to support the possibility that these are edited performances, as it would be unusual for a live performance to not allow solo space to superior band members. How would you have Dave Schnitter or Hadley Caliman or Phil Ranelin of 1980 in your band at a major jazz venue and not have him soloing? Unless what was chosen for the disc was just Hubbard "features", in which case I lament that there would likely be much more material available! Doesn't mean I won't buy the thing eventually though :D

Edited by felser