2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Canucks vs. Sharks, Game 4. Looked like a possible 4 - 0 shut-out for the Canucks until the third period, when the Sharks scored 2 goals.............then ran out of road.

The series stands at 3 games to 1 in favour of the Canucks, so the Sharks better get their act together if they want to avoid being

eliminated.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to say, that was just a disgusting way to go down three games to one. Three friggin' 5 on 3 goals in less than two minutes?

I thought that this game might have been called just a bit too aggressively by the officials. Penalties like delay of game for shooting the puck over the glass pretty much have to be called, but most of the others are discretionary. Three different 5 on 3's in that sort of time frame is really pushing the envelope. If there's one thing I hate in any sport, it's having penalties or free throws determine the outcome. Let 'em play.

Okay, they finally talked me down off the window sill. I don't see what the big deal was; I'm on the first floor.

I'm still stunned that the Sharks lost this series this early. I know they didn't have their "A" game, but those three 5 on 3s are going to bug me for a while.

I can't say I think the Sharks need to make any big changes for next season, unless it's to trade Eager for a new skate grinder and one of those moist towlette thingies...

Oh well; Bolts-Bruins tonight!

Okay, they finally talked me down off the window sill. I don't see what the big deal was; I'm on the first floor.

I'm still stunned that the Sharks lost this series this early. I know they didn't have their "A" game, but those three 5 on 3s are going to bug me for a while.

I can't say I think the Sharks need to make any big changes for next season, unless it's to trade Eager for a new skate grinder and one of those moist towlette thingies...

Oh well; Bolts-Bruins tonight!

First, the Canucks score to tie the game with 13 seconds left in regulation and then they win it in OT on probably the flukiest goal I've ever seen. If you're San Jose or a San Jose fan, you have to feel absolutely snake bit.

You know the NHL really needs to end its season BEFORE Memorial Day weekend.

Amen! And I think that the World Series in late October is an even bigger joke.

I think the Canadian league has it right. They end their season the last Sunday in November, before it gets impossibly cold.

When was the last time a Canadian team was in the finals? Was it Calgary against Carolina, in something like 2004? When was the last time a Canadian team had a chance in the finals? Probably Montreal in 1993, right? So Vancouver might actually have a shot this year, as I sort of predicted way back at the beginning of this thread!

The Flames also took the Lightning to Game 7 in 2004.

I was stuffed up in one of the far corners of the arena for that one. Had no voice left afterward.

Although the Lightning had their chances last night, the Bruins were pretty clearly the better team. Conventional wisdom seems to be this is Vancouver's series to lose, but I don't know about that. The Bruins really had the Lightning on the run for most of the last two games. It was all Tampa could do to get the puck out of their own zone. And when they did get into the Boston zone, it was often one shot and done, and back the other way.

I'm hoping the Bruins can give the Canucks a run for it.

I'm rooting for Vancouver because the folks in BC care about hockey more than the folks of New England..."

I think if you lived in Boston, you might get some pushback on that statement. That's an original six territory with fanatical hockey fans. Plus, it's been almost as long a wait between Cups for the Bruins who last won it all in 1971-72, as it has been for Vancouver which has never won a Cup but entered the league in 1970-71.

Based on tonight's game, this has the makings of a pretty good final. Who would have thought a 1-0 game could be that exciting. I love to watch Tim Thomas play goal. From a technical standpoint, he does just about everything wrong but from a results standpoint he winds up doing just about everything right. Very unconventional.

I'm rooting for Vancouver because the folks in BC care about hockey more than the folks of New England, although I think the New Englanders care more than the rest of America.

In addition, a championship would be a nice consolation for losing their basketball team.

Pushback on this statement from New York as well!

Boston's a great hockey town. One of the best. But they've got the Red Sox, Pats, Celtics. New York has the Yankees, Yankees and Yankees.

I'm going to guess that the finals lead the front page every day in Vancouver. That it leads every newscast. And that it's all anybody talks about in Vancouver 24-7.

Hope it goes 7 games!

Claude Julian should make Zdeno Chara walk back to Boston for games 3 & 4. It would give him some quality time alone to reconsider his commitment to winning. Chara was last night's goat...completely and totally at fault for allowing Vancouver to score at the beginning of OT. That was one of the laziest defensive plays I've seen in a long time. He knew his goaltender was out of position and does nothing. Get Burrows off the puck, trip him. slash him, I don't care, but you don't just let him circle the net and score. What was he thinking? Speaking of Burrows, had he been suspended for the finger biting incident in game one, as many thought he should have been, he would not have been on the ice last night and wouldn't have scored two goals and assisted on another. Just a little food for thought.

Yeah, Chara was weak on that goal, but there was a series of blunders there -- all within 11 seconds.

Ference's turnover in the neutral zone off the opening faceoff, then his failure to peel back (he was pretty much caught flat-footed), left Chara having to sprint in from the other side of the ice to cover Burrows.

And then Thomas made one of his gonzo moves by launching himself into no-man's land in an all-or nothing gamble to knock the puck away from Burrows.

Chara should have plowed Burrows into the end boards at that point though, no doubt.

Here's hoping the Bruins can bounce back on home ice and make a series of it.

Edited by papsrus

Yeah, Chara was weak on that goal, but there was a series of blunders there -- all within 11 seconds.

Ference's turnover in the neutral zone off the opening faceoff, then his failure to peel back (he was pretty much caught flat-footed), left Chara having to sprint in from the other side of the ice to cover Burrows.

And then Thomas made one of his gonzo moves by launching himself into no-man's land in an all-or nothing gamble to knock the puck away from Burrows.

Chara should have plowed Burrows into the end boards at that point though, no doubt.

Here's hoping the Bruins can bounce back on home ice and make a series of it.

Goals often result from a series of series of mistakes. Without Ference's turnover, Burrows doesn't score. Nonetheless, Chara is still the one who didn't do his job when it really mattered. We're talking about a guy here who is 6'8" with a huge stride and long arms and the best he can do is wave at Burrows as he skates by? I'll tell you one thing, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes when they break down the game film.

I'm also hoping for a Boston resurgence. This series needs to go at least six games. I have a few friends who are Vancouver fans and if the Canucks do sweep, I'll never hear the end of it.

Tim Thomas has been otherworldly. He's made 8-10 stops tonight that had every right to wind up in the back of the net. I especially enjoyed his linebacker like takedown of Daniel Sedin. You gotta love he way this guy plays the game. Too bad he had to give up the late goal. He really deserved the shut out.