SteeplecChase Records

sonnymax

As a longtime fan of Denmark's SteepleChase jazz label, I've been frustrated by my inability to get any information from their website for the past few months. The links don't seem to work, and their catalog doesn't appear to have been updated in almost a year now. I know they continue to issue new releases, such as Peter Zak's The Decider, but there seeming lack of accessibility has me concerned.

Is there a newer, updated website that I'm unaware of (a Google search failed to reveal one)? Does anyone have information about the current status of the label? Any help would be appreciated. Waiting for new releases to just show up on Amazon isn't much fun.

• 9 months later...

Some of the Johnny Dyanis for sure - probably "Witchdoctor's Son" and "Song for Biko" first, but they're all fine!

Also anything by Walt Dickerson - not sure which one to recommend first, maybe "Peace"?

Other favorites:

Contemporary Jazz Quartet - Action (2CD)

The Vonskis (Never Let Me Go, Lester Leaps In, Dedicated to You)

Pierre Dorge's New Jungle Orchestra (I've got the self-titled one, "Brikama" and "Johnny Lives", like them all)

Sadik Hakim - Witches, Goblins, etc.

Lee Konitz - Jazz à Juan (w/Martial Solal)

Jackie McLean - Live at Montmartre

Horace Parlan's one with Frank Strozier and Frank Foster and the two by Strozier

You might also consider some Buck Hill, Clifford Jordan ("Half Note" maybe? bootleg quality but darn fine music!)

Then anything by Ken McIntyre... "Home" with Jaki Byard, "Hindsight" and "Open Horizon" with Kenny Drew, "Chasing the Sun" in a trio setting or "Introducing the Vibrations" with a larger band (incl. Terumasa Hino)

And then I've got two fine ones by Ernie Wilkins, "Montreux" and "On the Roll".

But hey, this is just the tip of the iceberg... don't really know the Gordon catalogue yet, and don't feel up to recommending any Tete, but there's plenty of Steeplechase Tete recommendations in the Tete thread.

Flurin has already mentioned some of my favorite Steeplechases - the Von Freemans, Walt Dicksersons, Johnny Dyanis, and the Sadik Hakim. But here are some others:

Albert Dailey: That Old Feeling

Chet Baker: The Touch of Your Lips; Diane (w. Paul Bley); No Problem (w. Duke Jordan)

Kenny Drew: Everything I Love

Any of the Ferré Brothers recordings - Django's true heirs, at least to my ears

Khan Jamal: Dark Warrior

Lee Konitz/Red Mitchell: I Concentrate on You

Claude Williams: The Fiddler

Archie Shepp/Horace Parlan: Goin' Home

Archie Shepp/NHOP: Looking at Bird

Jimmy and Doug Raney: Stolen Moments; Duets

Brew Moore: Zonky

Sheila Jordan: Sheila

Horace Parlan: Musically Yours; The Maestro

Jimmy Knepper; Cunningbird

Duke Jordan: Flight to Denmark; Live in Japan; Midnight Moonlight

There are a few of these that I haven't listened to recently, so I'm going on memory with them. However, the memories are good ones.

Just ordered

Bill Barron live (x2), Kenny Dorham Double, Billy Harper live (x3), Jackie Maclean live (Dr Jackle), Tete Monteliou ("I Wanna Talk About You" with Hank Mobley on one title), Baker/Bley (Diane) & Parlan (Blue Parlan)

I've read reviews of the other live Maclean CD from the same session (Baltimore 66) & the sound quality is very poor - any other comments from the board

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be impatient, but how long would one normally wait for a shipment to arrive from Jazz Loft? It's been almost 2 weeks.

Yesterday, I finally received an email notifying me of shipment of my order placed two weeks or so ago.

I just received an email confirmation yesterday for 1 shipment. The other order which was supposed to be shipped first class since it was a single item also ordered Feb. 1, no confirmation as of yet. I guess I'll wait things out.