Your Favorite Piano Pieces

B. Goren.

Since I became interested in music, I loved pieces written specifically for piano. There are wonderful pieces of classical music written specifically for piano and I will mention a few of my favorite.

Many pianists consider the 32 piano sonatas written by Beethoven as their bible. Among all these sonatas, my favorite are the storm sonata (sonata # 17) and sonata # 8 (the Pathétique).

Of all the works of JS Bach I especially like the 6 partitas and to be more specific, Partita # 2. I have in my collection 2 great performances of this Partita: Glenn Gould and Martha Argerich.

Claud Debussy also wrote some masterpieces for piano. I consider the Suite Bergamasque to be the highlight of his piano works. Another favorite work for piano written by Debussy is " Cloches à travers les feuilles" (Bells through the leaves).

I can't write about piano pieces without mentioning Robert Schumann. Of all his piano works, my favorite is the "Kreisleriana".

I still have a long list of favorite piano pieces but at this point I'd love to read what other forum members like.

I've always found Charles Ives' solo piano work to be nothing short of amazing. I've got about 5 or 6 discs worth (with some overlap, but not a lot), and it never fails to engage me deeply.

As far as specific pieces, I'm pretty partial to Paul Hindemith's Ludus Tonalis (1942), an hour-long work with great gobs of 20th century counterpoint. Also Dmitri Shostakovich's 24 Preludes and Fugues (1950/51), again, because of the fugal-writing in a 20th century harmonic context.

Practically all my classical CD's are 1,000 miles away from me at the moment, or I could identify a few more (as well as some specific Ives pieces), but I'll try and revisit this thread when I get to DC in a month or so.

Paul Hindemith - In einer Nacht

Arthur Honneger - Toccata et Variations

Robert Schumann - Fantasiestücke op.12 (but only by Jörg Demus on a Graf Fortepiano like the one the Schumanns owned)

several pieces by Ravel and Debussy (only in their own recordings)

Since I became interested in music, I loved pieces written specifically for piano. There are wonderful pieces of classical music written specifically for piano and I will mention a few of my favorite.

Of all the works of JS Bach I especially like the 6 partitas and to be more specific, Partita # 2. I have in my collection 2 great performances of this Partita: Glenn Gould and Martha Argerich.

But I thought the piano didn't exist in Bach's time!

Lemmie see, what do I like............. Piano music by La Monte Young (the Well Tuned Piano), Terry Riley, Debussy, Schoenberg, Ravel, Morton Feldman, Messiaen. John Cage's music for prepared piano.

I've been getting more exposure to Beethoven's piano music, that's nice but not at the top of my list.

edit to add Messiaen, Cage and Feldman.

Edited by 7/4

But I thought the piano didn't exist in Bach's time!

You are right. I mean harpsichord (clavier).

How come nobody mentioned Chopin? Of course his Mazurkas and Nocturnes are my favorite.

Edited by B. Goren.

Some "modern" works:

Ligeti's solo piano music (Musica Ricercata was quoted in Kubrick's film Eyes Wide Shut) - I own the Aimard recording (Sony), but Ullen on BIS has been recommended by very respectable sources.

Morton Feldman Triadic Memories (I can vouch for Louis Goldstein's recording on Offseason Productions) and For Bunita Marcus (ditto for Hildegard Kleeb on Hat Art).

Jean Barraqué Piano Sonata (I can recommend Pi-Hsien Chen's recording on Telos, but Stefan Litwin's performance on cpo's otherwise excellent Complete Barraqué box is really sub-par).

20th century favorites:

Anatoly Alexandrov

4 Preludes, op. 10

Samuil Feinberg

4 Preludes, op. 8

Fantasie #2, op. 9

Suite, op. 11

3 Preludes, op. 15

Sonatas 1 - 9, and 12

Robert Helps

Shall We Dance

Ligeti

Etude #4 "Fanfares"

Etude #5 "Arc-en-ciel"

Messiaen

8 Preludes

Vingt Regards...

Nikolai Obouhov

Prelude & Prieres

Roslavets

Prelude (1915)

Sonata #2

Scriabin

Sonatas, especially #8

Preludes, especially op. 67 & 74

Etudes, esp. op. 42, #5

Vers la Flamme

Szymanowski

Etude, op. 4#2

Metopes, op. 29

Etudes, op. 33

Masques, op. 34

3rd Sonata, op. 36

Mazurkas, op. 50

2 Mazurkas, op. 62

Waltz Romantique (1925)

4 Polish Dances (1926)

I'm a dilettante in this subject. I do love Beethoven's solo piano music - particularly the final 5 sonatas and the Diabelli Variations. Scriabin is brilliant as well - my faves are the last 2 sonatas. And Debussy's solo piano music is brilliant. On the other hand, Chopin doesn't really excite me.

In general I greatly prefer solo piano music to piano concertos.

If you like Scriabin then you should check out his disciples - Feinberg, Roslavets, Obouhov and Szymanowski!

Thanks for the tip Michael. Can you recommend specific CDs?

The Alexandrov, Obouhov and Feinberg preludes can be heard here

The Feinberg Sonatas can be heard here and here

The Szymanowski Mazurkas here

The Szymanowski Masques, Metopes and 3rd Sonata here

Edited by Michael Weiss

If you like Scriabin then you should check out his disciples - Feinberg, Roslavets, Obouhov and Szymanowski!

Thanks for the tip Michael. Can you recommend specific CDs?

The Alexandrov, Obouhov and Feinberg preludes can be heard here

The Feinberg Sonatas can be heard here and here

The Szymanowski Mazurkas here

The Szymanowski Masques, Metopes and 3rd Sonata here

Thanks again Michael.

I've never cared much for Chopin myself. Too overwrought, and I've heard too many 'overly-romantic' interpretations.

This is the reason why I tolerate Chopin in Sviatoslav Richter's interpretation only - not too much Romanticism there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ-NAgDpRVs

There are two volumes of excellent solo piano works by Russian / Soviet composers on the early XX century (Roslavits, Lourie, Mossolov, Polovonkin, Protopopov) on hat[now]ART:

louriSovietAvantGarde.jpg

Then there is Leo Ornstein - very wild stuff. I have this CD - highly recommended.

music-5-16-03-leo-ornstein-hamelin.jpg

Chopin: Andante Spianote e Grande Polacca Brillante op.2 (Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli)

Scriabin: prélude opus 11 (Vesselin Stanev)

Szymanowski: Masques op.34 (Michal Wesolowski)

Debussy: Jeux(Alice Adler)

Ravel: Miroirs (Alain Neveux)

Bartok: Mikromkosmos (excerpts by Bela Bartok)

Schoenberg: Suite For Piano op. 25 (Maurizio Pollini)

Berg: Sonata Für Klavier (Daniel Barenboim)

Webern: Variation Für Klavier Opus 27 (Charles Rosen)

Boulez: Troisième Sonate (idil Biret)

Ligeti: Musica Ricercata (Pierre-Laurent Aimard)

Scelsi: Preludi série I-IV (Alessandra Ammara)

Jean Barraqué: Sonate pour Piano (Herbert Henck)

Ustvolskaya: Sonata Number 3 for Piano (Oleg Malov)

Morton Feldman: Palais De Mari (Aki Takahashi)

Weston: Tessellations 1 (Leo Svirsky)

• 1 year later...