German Jazz on MPS/Mood/Inakustik re-issues, etc

StarThrower

I'm looking for more good stuff from Germany. I just ordered some of Volker Kriegel's MPS albums from Wayside Music, and a few Inakustik re-issues by Kriegel, Wolfgang Dauner, and United Jazz + Rock Ensemble.

Who else is worth listening to in the modern jazz/electric jazz/fusion genre?

The only other CDs I have are by Albert Mangelsdorff.

BTW, the Inakustik CDs are 25% off at Deep Discount until June 19th. Same for Promising Music/MPS.

Manfred Schoof's work with Michel Pilz and Jasper van't Hof might work; they had a couple of albums on Japo which are now part of an ECM set. The live recordings of this band that I've heard are a bit more interesting (to me) than the studio stuff, however. YMMV.

I'm not sure what's on CD, but the Kuhn brothers (Rolf & Joachim) made a bunch of records in the 70s that, as the decade progressed, got more fusiony. I tend to prefer their more free jazz oriented work, but can certainly appreciate the plugged-in stuff. Joachim is a major part of Barney Wilen's excellent "Dear Prof. Leary" on MPS, for example.

Lots of good things on Wolfgang Dauner's 'Mood' label. Ian Carr & Nucleus, UJ&RE, Kolbe/Illenberger, Ack van Rooyen for starters. Unfortunately, most of them seem to be only available on LPs - although the UJ&RE albums have been recently reissued as 2CD sets in Germany.

Of the above I particularly recommend the Ian Carr LPs and the Ack van Rooyen 'Homeward'.

There's also a good duet album by Manglesdorff and Dauner which I have on a fairly old Mood CD - not sure if this has been reissued.

Edited by sidewinder

Yeah, the Mangelsdorff/Dauner is part of a 2-CD set re-issued on Inakustik label. These are selling dirt cheap at Deep Discount. 8.95-10.95 for 2 CDs.

Thanks for that. I need to get hold of most of the UJ&RE reissues and will check out Deep Discount. It would also be nice to have the duets on the 2CD.

There's also a nice 2-CD set of Dauner's solo keyboard albums, and Volker Kriegel's Journal/Palazzo Blue.

I thought about picking up the Manfred Schoof on ECM, but they did a half ass job on the re-issue, omitting some tracks instead of making it a 3-CD set.

Edited by starthrower

• 12 years later...

I thought about starting a new topic, but then found this one :).

Missus Beastly "Minden 1976" (2023)
Pretty interesting jazz-rock with some psychedelic/prog/kraut elements (but definitely leaning towards jazz-rock). Very tasty jam with lots of flute and synths.

Missus Beastly was a great band in general, their 1974 same-titled album is still a great krautish answer for Soft Machine. 

Primary

Missus Beastly, yeah, good stuff.

I grabbed a not too bad Toto Blanke record on Vertigo called "Spider's Dance" a while back that would fit this bill.

I'll stand by my original post of Schoof/Pilz and raise that a couple of years ago a nice 2CD set was released of Radio Bremen material. It's less jazz-rock but certainly spacious, plugged in, and groovy. 

On 5/1/2024 at 7:25 AM, sambrasa said:

Attila Zoller made some good albums in Germany with German musicians.

I like this one in particular:

https://www.discogs.com/release/911862-Heinrich-Heine-Attila-Zoller-Lyrik-Und-Jazz

R-911862-1567874194-7779.jpg.26b8f39f3970e93b02336382c2bcbdaf.jpg

Too bad that loud, annoying voice has to recite Heine over Attila's playing.

Are there any other albums Attlia made in Germany without spoken word drowning him out?

1 hour ago, sgcim said:

Too bad that loud, annoying voice has to recite Heine over Attila's playing.

Are there any other albums Attlia made in Germany without spoken word drowning him out?

https://www.discogs.com/release/2662116-Attila-Zoller-Hans-Koller-Martial-Solal-Zoller-Koller-Solal

https://www.discogs.com/release/3156575-Attila-Zoller-Quartet-The-Horizon-Beyond

6 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I grabbed a not too bad Toto Blanke record on Vertigo called "Spider's Dance" a while back that would fit this bill.

Oh yea, bought this LP few weeks ago. Very fine jazz-rock, I really like his playing style - a bit McLaughlin-like, but not too expansive or excessive.

His second album is also interesting, a significant departure from the Mahavishnu/RTF-like music. It's much more electronic, moody and krautsy.
It was re-released on CD in 2016 by Chickadisc and I've got a chance to write liner notes, based on an interview with Jasper van't Hof (great guy!).

Primary

13 hours ago, barnaba.siegel said:

Oh yea, bought this LP few weeks ago. Very fine jazz-rock, I really like his playing style - a bit McLaughlin-like, but not too expansive or excessive.

His second album is also interesting, a significant departure from the Mahavishnu/RTF-like music. It's much more electronic, moody and krautsy.
It was re-released on CD in 2016 by Chickadisc and I've got a chance to write liner notes, based on an interview with Jasper van't Hof (great guy!).

Primary

seen that one but never listened. I'll give it a shot, sounds like it might be up my alley.

and congrats on the liners!

On 5/7/2024 at 10:43 PM, JSngry said:

Ni02MzQ4LmpwZWc.jpeg

OS0yMjY0LmpwZWc.jpeg

This one is fabulous. European jazz at its best. But - to be honest - no album with Albert Mangesldorff is a weak one, especially those from late 60's to early 80's. Guy was a true genius.

clifford_thornton - thanks a lot. A new thing and even more exciting thing is coming out very soon!

Edited by barnaba.siegel

This one is a jazz-rock classic from the MPS catalogue. "Kunstkopfindianer" is credited by Hans Koller, Wolfgang Dauner, Adelhard Roidinger, Zbigniew Seifert, Janusz Stefanski and it's a great piece of a crazier European approach in terms of composing and use of electronics. The opening piece is just mad, Dauner is going crazy with all keys and synths - and Seiferts' violin playing throughout the whole record is definitely unique, he was really one of the best violinist back then.

Whole album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkVLq95upG0 

kunst.jpg

1 hour ago, barnaba.siegel said:

This one is a jazz-rock classic from the MPS catalogue. "Kunstkopfindianer" is credited by Hans Koller, Wolfgang Dauner, Adelhard Roidinger, Zbigniew Seifert, Janusz Stefanski and it's a great piece of a crazier European approach in terms of composing and use of electronics. The opening piece is just mad, Dauner is going crazy with all keys and synths - and Seiferts' violin playing throughout the whole record is definitely unique, he was really one of the best violinist back then.

kunst.jpg

Haven't heard that, but it's probably very good because I have an excellent B.Free (is that a pirate label?) CD which has live versions of most of the tunes:

My00NjUzLmpwZWc.jpeg

26 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Haven't heard that, but it's probably very good because I have an excellent B.Free (is that a pirate label?) CD which has live versions of most of the tunes:

My00NjUzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Yea, unfortunately B. Free (with its few other incarnations) turned out to be pirate :/. Too bad, this record is so good and they'd got quality stuff in general. But I hope more live stuff from this circle of German jazz-rock will unearth in the future.

Nevertheless, be sure to check out the studio material. Through the years I've got the feeling, that it's considered as one of the best German jazz records from the 70's (with 2/5 band from Poland).

On 5/12/2024 at 11:39 PM, barnaba.siegel said:

kunst.jpg

Yeah, this one is excellent. And that was a nice MPS reissue series in 2003. 

Zbiggy was a good player, a bit over the top, but so it goes with electric violin in jazz fusion context.

b.free released seem to be indeed ...ahem... "unauthorized" - but they are unique and high quality stuff (if you ignore numerous mistakes in compositions' titles):

be625152.jpg be625152a.jpg 

Are these Japanese CDs on your shelf still sealed?