Later Art Blakey

DMP

I have almost nothing by Blakey after 1973, so, what am I missing? Anything stand out? Maybe "Album of the Year?" Any "must haves?" Could I get a few suggestions? (I am familiar with his Roulette albums from the mid-'70's, they're pretty good, but have never seen a reissue.)

My favorite Blakey groups from the late 1970s on have Bobby Watson as the musical director. Next best is the period with Terrance Blanchard as the musical director. Without one of those two on the record, I usually skip it.

This recent issue has two versions of the Messengers with Watson, and the Blanchard edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Blakey-Jazz-Messengers-Sesjun/dp/B004GGO48I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310407995&sr=8-1

My favorite Blakey groups from the late 1970s on have Bobby Watson as the musical director. Next best is the period with Terrance Blanchard as the musical director. Without one of those two on the record, I usually skip it.

This recent issue has two versions of the Messengers with Watson, and the Blanchard edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Blakey-Jazz-Messengers-Sesjun/dp/B004GGO48I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310407995&sr=8-1

The group with Watson and Wynton Marsalis was great. 'Album of the Year' and the Live at Bubba's stuff (available on many different budget labels by many different names) stand out in my mind. Also, 'Gypsy Folk Tales', Watson's debut, is great, but hard to find. Never really quite the same after Watson left to my ears (his writing really stood out), though they could still bring it live and had a dazzling array of young talent pass through (Blanchard and Harrison, Wallace Roney, Philip Harper, Brian Lynch, Jean Toussaint, Branford Marsalis, Benny Green, Steve Davis, Javon Jackson, etc etc etc).

The only one I really would recommend for anything other than a "see, The Messengers could still do it!" vibe is Keystone 3, although the two Roulette sides (Backgammon & the aforementioned Gypsy Folk Songs) are pretty damn nice, if also a little sloppy and foreshadowing of the whole "retro" thing that the Messengers would eventually become (not that there's anything wrong with that...).

41C60TW4M7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've said before around here that my favorite later Blakey/Messengers album is Feelin' Good on the Delos label, from 1986. It's not very well known, maybe because Delos was a classical label that dabbled in jazz. I guess it could be said to be in the "retro" bag Jim mentioned (it's half new tunes and half Messenger classics), but the level of playing is so high that it transcends any sense of nostalgia. The horns are Wallace Roney, Kenny Garrett, Jean Toussaint, and Tim Williams; Donald Brown is the pianist, and Peter Washington is on bass. I think this is Garrett's only appearance on a Blakey album, although I'm too lazy to look that up. Anyway, I like this band more than the Wynton band or the Blanchard/Harrison band.

Never knew about that one, Jeff, but Garrett at that time and in this band is something that I think I would enjoy. He was a much more "cattin'" player than he later became, and a good cattin' is something I always enjoy. Jean Toussaint (also on Keystone 3) was a big plus in that band too, at least to my tastes.

Is this thing still in print?

Never knew about that one, Jeff, but Garrett at that time and in this band is something that I think I would enjoy. He was a much more "cattin'" player than he later became, and a good cattin' is something I always enjoy. Jean Toussaint (also on Keystone 3) was a big plus in that band too, at least to my tastes.

Like Mike says, it seems to be. The link in my original post leads to Amazon. Kenny Garrett is indeed excellent here; just after this he quit the Messengers to join (rejoin?) Miles Davis, and Blakey was reportedly pretty pissed.

The Roulette albums are good - the Messengers bib over-all phase - but have they ever been reissued?

There was a two-disc compilation from the European affiliate, called "Blues March: The Roulette Years." Came out in the '90s. Looks official, but maybe it isn't. I've heard from one of the players in Blakey's band in this period that there was a strong organized-crime influence at the Roulette label in the '70s.

Yep, I have that one too:

Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers - Jazz Messengers '70 (Catalyst CAT 7902)

Bill Hardman (tp) Carlos Garnett (ts) JoAnne Brackeen (p) Jan Arnet (b) Art Blakey (d)

Tokyo, Japan, February 19, 1970

Moanin'

Blues March

Whisper Not

What The World Needs Now Is Peace And Love

It's Only A Paper Moon

Politely

A Night In Tunisia

I've said before around here that my favorite later Blakey/Messengers album is Feelin' Good on the Delos label, from 1986. It's not very well known, maybe because Delos was a classical label that dabbled in jazz. I guess it could be said to be in the "retro" bag Jim mentioned (it's half new tunes and half Messenger classics), but the level of playing is so high that it transcends any sense of nostalgia. The horns are Wallace Roney, Kenny Garrett, Jean Toussaint, and Tim Williams; Donald Brown is the pianist, and Peter Washington is on bass. I think this is Garrett's only appearance on a Blakey album, although I'm too lazy to look that up. Anyway, I like this band more than the Wynton band or the Blanchard/Harrison band.

I saw this band around the time of this recording at Sweet Basil in NYC and they were great. I recall that we went because one of my wife's friends, a female ophthalmologist, knowing that I'm into jazz asked me a few days before the gig if I "ever heard of Art Blakey". As I educated her as to Blakey's importance, she told me that Blakey had just that week come to her office for an eye checkup and he told her what he did for a living when she inquired that of him. So I then suggested that we double that coming weekend and check him out at Sweet Basil. Between sets, Blakey stopped at our table for some brief pleasantries when he recognized the ophthalmologist he had recently visited. Needless to say, she was thrilled particularly as there was so much "electricity" in the club that evening in terms of the audience responsiveness to the music, and I must confess I was somewhat thrilled as well, jaded as I am. Nice memory.

Edited by MartyJazz

How were Bu's eyes?

Professional ethics precluded that she would tell us what, if anything, was his problem, but his vision did not appear to be problematic to me. However, as we all know from his many years on the bandstand promoting a "vigorous" brand of jazz, it was primarily his hearing that suffered later in life.

I saw this band around the time of this recording at Sweet Basil in NYC and they were great. I recall that we went because one of my wife's friends, a female ophthalmologist, knowing that I'm into jazz asked me a few days before the gig if I "ever heard of Art Blakey". As I educated her as to Blakey's importance, she told me that Blakey had just that week come to her office for an eye checkup and he told her what he did for a living when she inquired that of him. So I then suggested that we double that coming weekend and check him out at Sweet Basil. Between sets, Blakey stopped at our table for some brief pleasantries when he recognized the ophthalmologist he had recently visited. Needless to say, she was thrilled particularly as there was so much "electricity" in the club that evening in terms of the audience responsiveness to the music, and I must confess I was somewhat thrilled as well, jaded as I am. Nice memory.

Nice story!

I've been around the scene a long time but I'm not sure I really know what "cattin'" means in this context. Elucidate please ...