CD Storage Problems

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also a long-time Bags Unlimited customer. These BU sleeves are identical to the ones sold at Jazz Loft:

scdgfs4.jpg

CD Gatefold Sleeve 4.0mil Polyethylene

Description: 5-1/4 x 10-5/8 x 5-1/8. Snug fit.

Stores jacketed CD in one side; Booklet in the other side. Center loading.

Base SKU: scdgfs4

100 - $14.65

500 - $56.50

1000 - $102.90

Prices include shipping

I've bought hundreds of these from Jazz Loft over the years and they really are excellent. However it does seem a bit daft to have them sent half-way round the world. Does anyone know of a UK stockist for them?

I'm also a long-time Bags Unlimited customer. These BU sleeves are identical to the ones sold at Jazz Loft:

scdgfs4.jpg

CD Gatefold Sleeve 4.0mil Polyethylene

Description: 5-1/4 x 10-5/8 x 5-1/8. Snug fit.

Stores jacketed CD in one side; Booklet in the other side. Center loading.

Base SKU: scdgfs4

100 - $14.65

500 - $56.50

1000 - $102.90

Prices include shipping

I've bought hundreds of these from Jazz Loft over the years and they really are excellent. However it does seem a bit daft to have them sent half-way round the world. Does anyone know of a UK stockist for them?

Not me. Mine all come trans-atlantic. maybe we're staring a business opportunity in the face here - limited clientele, i grant you :)

• 3 years later...

Any new solutions out there in the 4 or so intervening years?  Jazz Loft is gone.  I'm considering the CD gatefold sleeves from Bags Unlimited or perhaps the ones from Cadence/North Country.  Not really looking forward to opening and transferring all those clamshells.  Also, I like looking at my CD spines; this is my library.  I wonder if I'll miss that.  On the other hand, I must admit I rarely access them; it's easier to play rips off the computer.  Conflicted, as usual.  Any thoughts?

Any new solutions out there in the 4 or so intervening years?  Jazz Loft is gone.  I'm considering the CD gatefold sleeves from Bags Unlimited or perhaps the ones from Cadence/North Country.  Not really looking forward to opening and transferring all those clamshells.  Also, I like looking at my CD spines; this is my library.  I wonder if I'll miss that.  On the other hand, I must admit I rarely access them; it's easier to play rips off the computer.  Conflicted, as usual.  Any thoughts?

Jazz Loft may be gone, but the owner of the website kept the business going for their sleeves: http://www.spacesavingsleeves.com

Jazz Loft may be gone, but the owner of the website kept the business going for their sleeves: http://www.spacesavingsleeves.com

OK, thanks.  jazzloft.com used to link to the URL you provided, but no longer - jazzloft.com is totally gone.

I dumped all my jewel boxes a few years back and went to plastic sleeves. Ripped up a lot of cardboard multiple CD holders too. I too was conflicted at the start. But I've never looked back and saved acres of space. I mainly download now (though I still burn a CD-r and make a functional sleeve (daft, I know). The thing that made me jump was when I faced up to the fact that however beautiful CD packaging might be (and it can often be very lovely) I generally only looked at it once or twice. I keep the inserts for CDs; generally download information can be easily found online (not essays but musician info). 

I've still to make the final move to playing straight from a designated streamer connected to a giant hard disc. Maybe when I move over the next year. 

Thematically. I use CD jewel cases with a sticker on to mark different performers or areas of music. So I have a 'Stan Tracey' followed by 20+ Cds in sleeves; then 'Peter King' etc.

I have sections like 'Swiss Jazz' or 'French Folk'. If they start getting big then I alphabetise - 'English Contemporary A-D'.

Everything is quickly findable.  

Golly, without the ability to read the spines, I wouldn't be able to find anything.  Do you guys store everything in alphabetical order?

By genre, then alphabetical order, so it's not a problem finding things even if the spines aren't showing. I have a friend who stores strictly in alphabetical order. He says he likes seeing Eric Dolphy next to Fats Domino.

I used to use Jazz Loft for these but I see the prices have risen substantially for non-US sales since then. Anyone have a UK outlet for them or something similar? 

I dumped all my jewel boxes a few years back and went to plastic sleeves. Ripped up a lot of cardboard multiple CD holders too. I too was conflicted at the start. But I've never looked back and saved acres of space. I mainly download now (though I still burn a CD-r and make a functional sleeve (daft, I know). The thing that made me jump was when I faced up to the fact that however beautiful CD packaging might be (and it can often be very lovely) I generally only looked at it once or twice. I keep the inserts for CDs; generally download information can be easily found online (not essays but musician info). 

I've still to make the final move to playing straight from a designated streamer connected to a giant hard disc. Maybe when I move over the next year. 

What plastic sleeves do you use, Bev?

Edited by Head Man

This one here. I'm sure I ordered 3000 a couple of years back but it says 4000:

http://www.jetmedia.co.uk/popprods.htm?Product=JWAPPBASIC-10&popup=popup

Yes, I use a similar one for storing my CD-Rs...

http://www.jetmedia.co.uk/pvc_wallets.htm

but they're not big enough to store a pukka CD plus artwork - tray and booklet etc. Is your version large enough for all that?

Mine are 13cm wide. Easily takes standard CDs and the standard inner sleeve - I often have 2 or 3 in one. I think they are bigger than the ones you indicate - you can get 100 for £3.00 to just try out:

http://www.jetmedia.co.uk/popprods.htm?Product=JWAPP100-4&popup=popup

I originally had some very tight ones bought in Wilcos or somewhere similar. These are much better. 

It can't fit the back artwork which usually flaps over the spine of the jewel box. I just fold it over once. I can see why that might worry some people, especially when thinking of resale value.  

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I only use the bags for burns/burned downloads/etc. I keep my originally purchased items in their jewel cases on the premise that if I ever want to dispose of some/all, they'll have more "value" (in whatever sense that may mean) to a potential buyer/donor recipient is the product is still "fully intact". I'm guaranteed a downsize at some point, either through life or death, and survivors have been instructed to either sell or donate. In either case, a few bucks in appraised value might matter.

Jewel cases are a bit of a bulk, true, but on the other hand, moving mass quantities of those poly-sleeved things is no picnic either, they're slippery as a tub full of naked eels!

Jewel cases are a bit of a bulk, true, but on the other hand, moving mass quantities of those poly-sleeved things is no picnic either, they're slippery as a tub full of naked eels!

big advantage if someday all goes down the potty ;)

Edited by king ubu