CD Storage Problems

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to go to estate sales with boxes of cds in those baggies.

If it's my estate sale, why would I care? :)

There was a similar estate sale in Atlanta of a former promo rep for Mercury, mid-1960's era.  The very minty LPs were a dollar each -- all in white, poly-lined plastic sleeves.

"So where's the jackets?", I asked the widow.   "Oh, I threw them out -- they took up too much space." 

Can't wait to go to estate sales with boxes of cds in those baggies.

If it's my estate sale, why would I care? :)

Also, if you wanted to, you could take everything out of the "baggie" and put it in a jewel case.  Nothing would be missing.

Having read through the most recent posts, I get the storage solutions. My problem is how do you catalog your collections?

Like a couple others here, I want to be able to read the spine and otherwise find/access my music without having to pull each individual CD out of the rows....which would take hours.

Additionally, I have been shopping various cabinet units, but the biggest I have found [read: can afford] only holds 1400 CDs.

Any ideas?

The type sold by spacesavingsleeves (and some other places mentioned in this thread) enable you to see the spines.  The board isn't allowing us to post jpgs these days, but if you go to this link, you can see a picture of plastic sleeves with readable spines, and this YouTube video shows how to use the sleeves.

As for storage, I hope to use storage boxes as mentioned above.  This would solve the slipping-and-sliding problem, and the boxes stack well on bookshelves.  Label the boxes with what's inside (Jazz - A, or Kenny Burrell - Donald Byrd, etc.).

Thanks, Mjzee.

I appreciate it.

So I'm trying the spacesavingsleeves, with an order of the paper inserts for when needed.  So far, I like the results.  I've considered for a long time whether this is a good idea.  What helped sway me were the classical and jazz box sets that Sony, WEA and Universal are selling.  In each, the disc is kept within a paper facsimile of the original cover.  I can't see any damage done to the discs as a result of this storage.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to give a progress report.  I'm half-way through the "B"s (just finishing Blakey now), and am very impressed by the amount of space it's saving.  What was 2 shelves of CDs are now in 1 1/2 boxes.  And because I'm putting the boxes on the same shelves as before, but with the short end facing out (and hanging a little off the shelf), the 2 boxes take up less than half a shelf.  It's a lot of work, and creating a lot of garbage (old CD cases), but I'm so far pleased with the results.

Are you experiencing any "problems" with those space saving sleeves not clearly showing the spines of the original tray card? I've seen it go both ways, especially in quantity.

Sure like the idea, though...

No, no problems, though I'm now in a "putting away" mode, rather than in a "trying to find something" mode.  Besides, I basically know where everything is.  If I need to find a Blakey disc, it's easy to just leaf through all of them if necessary.  Also, some titles are in digipaks, so those need to be filed as is; they serve as good visual markers.

Oh hell, that's no problem at all!

I'm getting self-conscious about people coming into the house and looking at it like it's a trophy wall or something. My wife, otoh, likes it to look like a "presentation" or something, she want to be proud of it. I'm kinda like, no, it's not really THAT, it's just a lot of stuff put in a place where it will fit, in a more or less organized manner.

She "lets" me have it out in the open, so I "let" her have it as organized as I can make it.

Bottom line-  jury still out. But the space-saving angle is definitely a selling point afaic, I got stuff in almost every room of the house in some form or fashion.

Are you experiencing any "problems" with those space saving sleeves not clearly showing the spines of the original tray card? I've seen it go both ways, especially in quantity.

I switched to plastic sleeves a couple of years ago, and it's worked out well, except for one thing - it's hell when you misfile something. It's happened a couple of times, but I've always been able to find my mistakes eventually.

I love your Finnish and Norwegian jazz sections!  Jealous ;)

But I notice I've misfiled some!!!! Crisis!!!!

I switched to plastic sleeves a couple of years ago, and it's worked out well, except for one thing - it's hell when you misfile something. It's happened a couple of times, but I've always been able to find my mistakes eventually.

Yes, I have had that problem. Often it is a case of absentmindedly putting a disc back on the shelf above or below where it should be. Can be a bugger if you really want to hear something...and once you know you can't find it you REALLY want to hear it. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Wanted to give a progress report.  I'm half-way through the "B"s (just finishing Blakey now), and am very impressed by the amount of space it's saving.  What was 2 shelves of CDs are now in 1 1/2 boxes.  And because I'm putting the boxes on the same shelves as before, but with the short end facing out (and hanging a little off the shelf), the 2 boxes take up less than half a shelf.  It's a lot of work, and creating a lot of garbage (old CD cases), but I'm so far pleased with the results.

Good reminder that I need to make a start on this project. I think I'll order 1000 of the spacesavingsleeves for starters, so that I can actually bring some CDs out of cupboards in hiding upstairs and make them more accessible. It would be nice to have all CDs visible and accessible in one room.;)

I'll end up with a loft full of old CD cases at the end of it. Is that why they call themselves Jazzloft?

Edited by sidewinder

This is how I organise things. Been like this a few years now and don't miss the old way:

2015-09-05%2020.57.35.jpg

As mentioned above Digipacks are waved from the repocketing. 

I love the idea that someone has a "Australian Jazz Orchestra" section in their collection.......can't be too many of them about outside the Antipodes. Full marks for such an eclectic taste Bev. I order mine strictly alphabetical (ex-librarian in me, I suspect) so my TUM releases don't huddle together like yours but I wish they did as they do look very nice like that. 

I also use the space saving sleeves and have found the only drawback is when I'm too greedy to space save and they get too squashed together which does then obscure the spine. But as Mjzee says above as their alphabetisized I always know where to look even if the spines aren't obvious

I love the idea that someone has a "Australian Jazz Orchestra" section in their collection.......can't be too many of them about outside the Antipodes. Full marks for such an eclectic taste Bev. I order mine strictly alphabetical (ex-librarian in me, I suspect) so my TUM releases don't huddle together like yours but I wish they did as they do look very nice like that. 

Eclectic tastes? I'm just a butterfly. Flit from one thing to another. 

• 4 weeks later...

Someone a while back was asking about slightly bigger sleeves. 

I've just received some at 140 width instead of 130 and they do the job brilliantly:

http://www.covers33.co.uk/shop/cd-pvc-covers/cd-pvc-140mm-no-flap-pack-of-50/

What I wanted them for were things like those Proper and JSP box sets so I could file all the discs together so they don't end up jumbled. I comfortably got 5CDs and a booklet into one of them, even though the CDs and inlay card are already in standard sleeves.   

Edited by A Lark Ascending