NFL Football 2011

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bears' problem is not so much their offensive line as it is that minus Earl Bennett (who isn't great but knows what he's doing) and Roy Williams (eh) they have only three-quarters of a receiver left in the lineup (that being Johnny Knox, who can get open but makes mistakes -- fails to run out some routes, shies away from contact at crucial times). Hester downfield is virtually a zero (and how often does he line up wrong and need to be waved to the correct side of the formation?); he's good only for certain underneath routes and is far from sure-handed on those. And while on such or similar routes Forte is better of course, you aren't going anywhere dumping the ball off to Forte, especially when only one receiver deserves any respect. Also, the whole run/pass balance thing is almost beside the point and/or backwards if you have just three-quarters of a receiver in the lineup. Balance is a great, but in order to get that balance at least one aspect of the offense needs to be able to distort the defense some. As for Cutler, give him all day to throw (which of course he's not getting), and throwing to these guys he'd still have big problems.

Did anyone think the ony 2 undefeated teams at this point would be the Packers & the Lions??

Packers I think people could have predicted...the Lions? That was like seeing pigs fly. Coming back from 20+ point deficits 2 weeks in a row to win shows me they are building some character in Detroit. 'bout friggin' time.

The Bears' problem is not so much their offensive line as it is that minus Earl Bennett (who isn't great but knows what he's doing) and Roy Williams (eh) they have only three-quarters of a receiver left in the lineup (that being Johnny Knox, who can get open but makes mistakes -- fails to run out some routes, shies away from contact at crucial times). Hester downfield is virtually a zero (and how often does he line up wrong and need to be waved to the correct side of the formation?); he's good only for certain underneath routes and is far from sure-handed on those. And while on such or similar routes Forte is better of course, you aren't going anywhere dumping the ball off to Forte, especially when only one receiver deserves any respect. Also, the whole run/pass balance thing is almost beside the point and/or backwards if you have just three-quarters of a receiver in the lineup. Balance is a great, but in order to get that balance at least one aspect of the offense needs to be able to distort the defense some. As for Cutler, give him all day to throw (which of course he's not getting), and throwing to these guys he'd still have big problems.

The problem is that the Bears two glaring weaknesses last season were on the O-line and the receiving corps, and basically did nothing substantive in the offseason to address those issues.

It's nice they drafted Carimi, and I support that decision, but that's the kind of thing you do when you're rebuilding or want to bribe your all-pro quarterback into re-signing with a new contract, but a weak o-line needs to add some decent veterans to improve; the Bears got rid of their best vet... Kreutz.

And then the receiving corp... well, adding Roy Williams as your #1 receiver is pretty damning indictment of the current Bears receivers. I don't mind the risk taking him, but the risk shouldn't be contingent on Roy being the best answer for last season's problems. Basically, the Bears have a bunch of decent slot receivers (small and quick), and now they've added an underachieving Williams as the solution to their size problem. That's a huge risk, which Cutler is paying the price for.

Cutler is pretty much screwed. He has a receiving corp who can't consistently run solid routes and get open and help him out in a tight pinch, and he doesn't have an O-line which can buy him time to wait for his receivers to get open, and he works in an offensive system that doesn't allow him to audible. Cutler is basically powerless to change the plays at the line to counteract the defensive strategy aimed at taking advantage of the Bears weak O-line and receivers.

Man, it would be a shame to waste the first legit QB we've had since, I dunno, Erik Kramer? Guh. Hurts just thinking on past Bears QBs.

A letter I sent to the Detroit Free Press...we'll see if they have the guts to print it.

Pretend drama in the SuperDome:

Wah! Harbaugh shook my hand too hard! Wah! We got our butts kicked. Wah! MOMMY!!! Jimmy shook my hand too hard!

Well boo-friggin'-hoo. This is FOOTBALL, coach. You know, where guys beat on each other for 60 minutes?

Jim Schwartz is a just a big whiney crybaby. I was really pulling for the Lions this year, but now I've lost all respect for that guy.

GO Niners!

What a wuss.

Edited by GoodSpeak