Mosaic to release next Jazz Icons DVD set

jazzbo

Well, most of the Coltrane and Kirk and Blakey I believe are available on cd, perhaps several of the others as well. I have a video of the Monk and it's KILLER. I'm happy about this, I will get this set before it goes away. I really can enjoy the "better than cd sound" of DVD on my system. I've never seen the Blakey and Griffin and Hubbard.

Edited by jazzbo

They've dispensed with the "bonus disc" as a draw to buy the box over individual discs. Although if they aren't selling them individually, maybe that's why.

I'll be curious to see if our local library gets the box or not given these tough times. The pricing is a little higher than past sets based on price per DVD, although since it's going from price friendly Naxos to um..., premium priced Mosaic, that would be expected.

This probably sounds stupid, but I wish they'd package them in the thinner boxes that Reeling in the Years used for their two blues releases. My shelves are getting full and it makes me think twice about buying these.

I don't think it's stupid at all. It might have made sense to use larger than necessary packaging when DVDs were a new format to differentiate them from CDs, but I loathe the size of the standard cases. I guess too many companies feel they're stuck with it or that's what most consumers prefer.

Edited by Quincy

I thought I would enjoy and watch these DVDs far more than I actually do. It turns out that I just don't have that much interest in watching jazz on the telly. I got Jazz Icons 1-3 and the shrinkwrap is still on most of them. I only got 2 single DVDs from the 4th set, and it turns out I don't miss the others. The only one here I would actually buy and then watch is the Griffin* -- I'm sure the others are great, but I'm sick of (and a little ashamed of) buying stuff I don't actually use. So I think this is no longer the set/series for me.

* And indeed, if this concert has been released on CD, then that would be my preferred format.

Unfortunately single DVDs are not available and to be honest I'd rather have it in a CD, not DVD set.

Seriously, these are historic concerts, and you prefer not to see footage of these legends playing? A CD won't sound better than a DVD (except if your DVD player is sub-par).

Edited by Claude

Unfortunately single DVDs are not available and to be honest I'd rather have it in a CD, not DVD set.

Seriously, these are historic concerts, and you prefer not to see footage of these legends playing? A CD won't sound better than a DVD (except if your DVD player is sub-par).

Well, I agree with Brad. I am simply never going to sit down and watch this even if I had it on DVD. If I had it on CD, I would listen to it.

I thought I would enjoy and watch these DVDs far more than I actually do. It turns out that I just don't have that much interest in watching jazz on the telly.

I completely understand the problem of music DVDs not being played as often (or not at all ;)) as expected as that happens to me, especially with full length (usually rock) concerts. However the Jazz Icons series has been the exception. It certainly helps that the performances are usually very good to excellent. Where they shine for me is that many of the discs comprise of 2 or 3 short sets. So if we've been watching a movie or show on DVD and I'm looking to fill time until the local news, 20 minutes of Brubek or Monk fits the bill. It also makes indecisiveness easier to deal with if the TV is on from the above situation as the music DVD collection is so much smaller than the CD & LP. Finally when they're on many times I'll have the laptop open just looking up now & then, so they essentially become a CD with occasional moving pictures.

I've got the Jazz Icons Count Basie '62 and Ellington DVD, and it's got to be the best quality video AND sound of that era. The sound of both of the DVD's are better than most CD's out there. CRANK it up and enjoy. I will have to ask for this set for Christmas!!!

Edited by Jazz Nut

just re-the above comments about how things sound in these videos - to me all the audiofile considerations go out the window when I see a great player on film - whether its Bird, Prez, Monk, Byard, Bud, Tristano, et all, even in very lo-fi sound, somehow WATCHING these guys play has more impact that 10 albums of 24 bit remastering.

Edited by AllenLowe

just re-the above comments about how things sound in these videos - to me all the audiofile considerations go out the window when I see a great player on film - whether its Bird, Prez, Monk, Byard, Bud, Tristano, et all, even in very lo-fi sound, somehow WATCHING these guys play has more impact that 10 albums of 24 bit remastering.

Agreed about watching over listening. I remember my first Jazz video was "Jazz Casual" and to see the sweat drip off of Coltrane or just McCoy Tyner's finger move across the keyboard brought so much more depth and understanding to the music itself.

Love watching Bird or Prez.