Stan Getz

sal

Bev, I love your list of favorite albums, because it matches my own so well. I must have good taste! Anniversary and The Steamer are two of my all time favorites, and they don't get mentioned that often.

I have to get Mickey One. I have never heard of it before.

I saw your father live many times. He always played beautifully and memorably. One of my favorite times is when he followed Mary Lou Williams, and the Max Roach Quartet, and was followed by Archie Shepp/Max Roach, on the opening night of the 1978 Ann Arbor Jazz Festival. He played the best, and most memorable set of the evening, by far.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voyage remains one of my favorites. Apparently, such a good time in SG's life. His playing reflects it. Yes, Anniversary and Serenity will always be in the player as well. Such brilliance!

Edited by mr jazz

Bev, I love your list of favorite albums, because it matches my own so well. I must have good taste! Anniversary and The Steamer are two of my all time favorites, and they don't get mentioned that often.

I saw your father live many times. He always played beautifully and memorably. One of my favorite times is when he followed Mary Lou Williams, and the Max Roach Quartet, and was followed by Archie Shepp/Max Roach, on the opening night of the 1978 Ann Arbor Jazz Festival. He played the best, and most memorable set of the evening, by far.

:):tup

Voyage remains one of my favorites. Apparently, such a good time in SG's life. His playing reflects it. Yes, Anniversary and Serenity will always be in the player as well. Such brilliance!

Totally forgot about Voyage! That def should have been on my list! Thanks for reminding me Mr. Jazz!

Bev, interesting that you left off the bossa stuff. Don't you like these albums or did you just get sick of them because they were overplayed?

Also, what do you think of Communication '72? I am obsessed with Michel Legrand.

I thought I had included the boxed set... but maybe not! Sure... I like them. To me though... they don't really reflect what Stan's playing was about. They were certainly a part of him, but not predominantly. Of course, they did afford him quite of bit of exposure. Admittedly... I may have a slight "tude" regarding those albums as he was labeled as "selling out" and going "commercial". That wasn't the case. He simply thought the Bossa Nova music was beautiful 'folk' music and wanted to play it the way he heard it. Then it was time to move on! He used to say... "Don't let grass grow under your feet". He wasn't one to stay in one place, musically. Was always looking forward.

Yes, Communications '72! I didn't add it as I was asked for my top 5 or 10. I put down way more! Didn't want to be obnoxious! :excited:

For me, "People Time" is my favorite Stan Getz recording. I believe it is or nearly his last recording... I have a poor audio copy of those other tunes and would eagerly go and get them if propperly produced. If anyone hasn't heard "People Time", you've been missing of the greatest jazz recordings of all time.

I have those too and there is a staggering amount of great music that didn't get to the official release.

Would make a superb boxed set. Can't we get Mosaic on the case? :excited:

For me, "People Time" is my favorite Stan Getz recording. I believe it is or nearly his last recording... I have a poor audio copy of those other tunes and would eagerly go and get them if propperly produced. If anyone hasn't heard "People Time", you've been missing of the greatest jazz recordings of all time.

I have those too and there is a staggering amount of great music that didn't get to the official release.

Working on it! :)

Working on it! :)

Nice!

:excited:

superd_1787448.jpg

My favourite (possibly because the 2LP set was my first Getz purchase back in the late 70s).

The version of 'Lush Life' is breathtaking.

It's also good to hear him do the Wayne Shorter tunes.

I love the use of electric piano on some of the tracks too - works especially well in the Latin-flavoured tunes.

Now available with some extra material!

Totally forgot about Voyage! That def should have been on my list! Thanks for reminding me Mr. Jazz!

Really should be reissued, IMHO. Is there any more material not issued the first time around?

Don't know if it's been mentioned on this thread, but a semi-forgotten gem is "The Soft Swing" from 1957, with Mose Allison, Addison Farmer, and Jerry Segal. Some of the most rhythmically relaxed. melodicaljy fluid Getz I've heard. I still have my old LP, but a smallish triangle-shaped chunk fell off a while back, which renders the first half of the first track on each side unplayable. It's been reissued in Japan, but the last time I checked it cost a pretty penny -- maybe $40. May have to spring for it before it's too late.

"fell off"?

A triangle-shaped chunk of your record fell off?

Damn dude, where'd you buy it, a leper colony?

It was a fairly beat up copy of the original vinyl and always unusually brittle IIRC. In any case, I just ordered a copy of the Japanese CD. I was hipped to this one way back when by an enthusiastic/accurate Martin Williams Down Beat review, which was reprinted in one of his collections (maybe more than one) -- Martin interestingly not being a much a Getz admirer at the time but converted by this album. As he rightly points out, the almost forgotten Jerry Segal's unique, loping, "long" time feel -- sort of a cross between Stan Levey and early Louis Hayes (though Martin heard Philly Joe) -- probably had a lot to do with the success of this date. Some great stop-time playing from Getz on IIRC "Down Beat," and the grooves on "All The Things You Are" and "To The Ends of The Earth" are other-worldly (appropriately so for the latter tune, I suppose).

Don't know if it's been mentioned on this thread, but a semi-forgotten gem is "The Soft Swing" from 1957, with Mose Allison, Addison Farmer, and Jerry Segal. Some of the most rhythmically relaxed. melodicaljy fluid Getz I've heard. I still have my old LP, but a smallish triangle-shaped chunk fell off a while back, which renders the first half of the first track on each side unplayable. It's been reissued in Japan, but the last time I checked it cost a pretty penny -- maybe $40. May have to spring for it before it's too late.

$30 here - http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1382607

Still a pretty penny, but perhaps a bit of a bargain compared to $40. :)

Really should be reissued, IMHO. Is there any more material not issued the first time around?

Voyage HAS been reissued on cd, this year.

Edited by jazzbo

Voyage HAS been reissued on cd, this year.

thanks for the update. any extra tracks?

NO, straight reissue of the released material, on Blackhawk. I got mine from www.dustygroove.com (currently out of stock there, this is a hard one, I had it backordered several times from several sites and finally managed to snag it from Dusty Groove when it was briefly back in stock.)

I just downloaded it from Amazon for less than $5...

Yes -- but did you get the "melodicaljy fluid" version? :rolleyes:

Yes -- but did you get the "melodicaljy fluid" version? :rolleyes:

:lol: I'll get back with you on that.