Pat Martino

Tom Storer

Up. Just picked up the El Hombre RVG on a whim (which I don't think was discussed here) and I'm digging it for what it is (not too familiar with Trudy Pitts, but overall, I think plays rather well). Some of the tunes chug along but there's some others with pretty badazz intros that really get the foot tappin.

I'd be interested in the Kloss material featuring Martino or vice versa...is that available? I think I recall Fantasy putting one Kloss disc out, but can't recall anything else.

So what is a good assesment of his Prestige material? It seems there was a lot of talk about the later stuff, sans Strings, but are there any other opinions?

And I do hear a strong Wes influence on El Hombre; I really dig his tone.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up. Just picked up the El Hombre RVG on a whim (which I don't think was discussed here) and I'm digging it for what it is (not too familiar with Trudy Pitts, but overall, I think plays rather well). Some of the tunes chug along but there's some others with pretty badazz intros that really get the foot tappin.

I'd be interested in the Kloss material featuring Martino or vice versa...is that available? I think I recall Fantasy putting one Kloss disc out, but can't recall anything else.

So what is a good assesment of his Prestige material? It seems there was a lot of talk about the later stuff, sans Strings, but are there any other opinions?

And I do hear a strong Wes influence on El Hombre; I really dig his tone.

love el hombre, also love the trudy pitts legends of acid jazz disc (but it's completely different)... fantasy put out four eric kloss twofers, martino is on three of those, one album on each, about time (only have that one, martino with don patterson (there are various excellent albums with patterson of martino)), sky shadows in the land of giants (with jaki byard/cranshaw/dejohnette) and "& the rhythm section" (with corea/holland/de johnette)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Definitely Pat is I think one of the guys that has integrated Wes into his playing in a very complete way, but still maintaining his own identity.

I recall reading that Montgomery was Martino's idol and they used to get together and jam when Martino was young.

Another story a guitarist friend told me: apparently when George Benson came to New York intent on making it as a jazz instrumentalist (without the singing part), he went around to the clubs to check out the competition. Time after time he heard guitar players of whom he thought, "OK, he's doing some stuff I don't - but I can cop that. No problem." He was feeling confident. Then he heard Martino, and that's when he got scared.

This story is true:

• 4 years later...

Just listened to Live at Yoshi's again after a long time away.  I love Pat's playing, but Joey's pretty oppressive on the bass pedals - always there, doesn't allow any air between the notes.  Would've preferred a bassist on the gig in addition to DeFrancesco.  YMMV, of course.

On 14 December 2011 at 7:56 PM, Big Wheel said:

This story is true:

That's one of my favourite interview bites ever. Cracks me up and makes me smile whenever I see it :g

7 hours ago, fasstrack said:

Honestly, I like the early organ stuff best---with Don Patterson et. al. He was also just insane good as a teen...

It sure is. El Hombre is essential. I read somewhere recently where someone said the drumming let the session down a bit, but Martino retorted that the drummer was his friend and it meant so much to the drummer to be on that recording. A beautiful and courageous man must be Mr Martino.