Massive Leo Records sale

colinmce

http://www.leorecords.com/?m=christmassale

More or less the whole back catalogue on sale at £2 per disc. The catch is that you have to buy in multiples of 10. But that oughtn't be hard for those interested, and the deal is still extreme.

Just placed an order

Leo Feigin replied (all CD's available) within a few minutes - that's service!!

Just bought two groups of 10 each. Got the email from Leo too, minutes later. Is Leo sitting at his computer all day? mellow.gif Nice of Leo to send quick notification.

I already had quite a few that were on the list (bought mostly at full price), but took advantage of the opportunity to stock up on some Braxton sets and a few individual titles I did not have.

Even with the fairly heavy shipping charge, came to $5.59 per disc, which is not bad at all, in fact quite good.<div><br></div><div>Wanted to add: &nbsp;folks in the UK should REALLY benefit from this sale due to the low shipping charge (or does VAT diminish the difference)?

</div>

Edited by Leeway

Pity the Anthony Braxton 1985 London, Birmingham and Coventry sets aren't part of the sale.

I suspect those are steady sellers and in no need of a sale to move stock. The sale prompted me to pick up Braxton's Ninetet at Yoshi's 1997, Vols. 1, 2, and 3 (I already have Vol. 4). I also picked up Braxton 4 Compositions (Ulrichsberg) 2005;Phonomanie III (4-CD box). Oh, also, Braxton Composition N.96.

I've also ordered the Braxton Yoshi 4 double sets, Vysniauskas & Evan Parker, Sun Ra & Cecil Taylor "stragglers" - ones I've passed over in the past

I would highly recommend the 4CD GYONJ sets, especially Vol. 4 (if you are a Ganelin Trio fan) - contains a wide variety of their projects, released & unreleased

Any advice on other Braxton's on the list - will probably go for Comp #96 (169) & Comps #175/126 (453/454)

I would love to take advantage of this sale; any opinions on the Fonda/Stevens discs? Or the 4-disc Soviet sets?

The 4-CD Soviet sets are wonderful stuff. In particular, the Homo Liber, Guyvoronsky/Volkov duo, Orkestrion and Chekasin big band sides are incredible. There are a few duds here and there, but overall a great series.

Yeah, as they say "our loss is your gain."

Picked up the Braxton piano music as well as some others I'd been curious about but never picked up. I'm sure I'll go for another ten on my next paycheck though the amount of time I have to listen to what I *should* be digging into is barely extant (no headphones at work!).

I've also ordered the Braxton Yoshi 4 double sets, Vysniauskas & Evan Parker, Sun Ra & Cecil Taylor "stragglers" - ones I've passed over in the past

I would highly recommend the 4CD GYONJ sets, especially Vol. 4 (if you are a Ganelin Trio fan) - contains a wide variety of their projects, released & unreleased

Any advice on other Braxton's on the list - will probably go for Comp #96 (169) & Comps #175/126 (453/454)

Except for the ones I mentioned, I have the other Braxtons. I've never regretted getting a Braxton set. The music is important and enduring, and simply, I enjoy it.

I went for 10 and then another ten, I feel bad in some ways taking advantage of the sale because things must be bad.

I chose a mixture of discs largely from people I'd never heard of.

I hope that's not the case. I figure Leo needs to clear some stock and get some cash into the coffers. If it's worse than that, that would be bad indeed. Anyway, ordering can only help.

Made my first ten easily.

Looking at a possible next ten, does anyone have any views on Simon Nabatov or Frank Gratkowski titles listed?

I have all the Gratkowski titles listed except DEPLOYMENT, which I ordered in this sale. If you are unsure of Gratkowski, I would start with "CELEBRATIONS" and "UNPLUGGED MIND".

Just wanted to check to see if anyone ordering from the States has got their order. I placed my first order two weeks ago, and then another order one day later. The order shipped one day later arrived this past Monday, while the older order has not yet arrived. Is this sort of thing common with international shipping from the UK to US? i.e. should I be worried about that first order?

This has been my first exposure to Soviet jazz, and so far I'm really digging it.