Chet Baker on Steeplechase

Late

My absolute favorite later-period Chet can be found on other labels (e.g., CANDY on Sonet; PEACE and STROLLIN', both on Enja; BLUES FOR A REASON with Warne Marsh on Criss Cross), but, of the Steeplechases, DIANE, his duets with Paul Bley and NO PROBLEM, a quartet session featuring Duke Jordan and his compositions, are very fine.

Edited by Joe

I've not heard "No Problem" for I guess 15 years... failed to connect back then, guess I ought to give it another chance.

I do love "Peace" and "Broken Wing" a lot. And the Criss Cross with Warne Marsh is mighty fine. As for the trio albums, I'll hand over to Niko... he knows them much better than I do, but I do really enjoy "Strollin'", the first I've heard of Chet's trio with Philip Catherine. And "Mr. B." (recently reissued) is pretty good, too (though with Michel Graillier in Catherine's place).

I have all the records mentioned, but "Diane" in duet with Paul Bley is my absolute favorite, very subdued and intimate.just played it yesterday.

BTW When I was in Amsterdam a couple of years back did I see a plate in memory of Chet on the wall of that small hotel (near the centralstation) where Chet "fell" ?????? out of the window from his room and died from the fall.

Vic

I have all the records mentioned, but "Diane" in duet with Paul Bley is my absolute favorite, very subdued and intimate.just played it yesterday.

BTW When I was in Amsterdam a couple of years back did I see a plate in memory of Chet on the wall of that small hotel (near the centralstation) where Chet "fell" ?????? out of the window from his room and died from the fall.

Vic

That plate is mentioned several times in Bill Moody's Searching for Chet Baker. That book is fiction, so it's interesting to know that the plate does exist.

If you only want 2, Diane and The Touch of Your Lips will do nicely. In fact, I think these are all you need from Chet after the Prestige sessions.

As much as I like those two, "Live in Tokyo" and the recently issued "Sesjun Radio Shows" are musts IMO.

Vic

Yes, he did fall -- no mystery or foul play. See Jeroen de Valk's biography, not the mereitricous "Deep In a Dream."

Vic

I too played "Diane" yesterday. I never liked it when I first bought it many years ago.......sadly, I still don't.

No problem, I played "Chet's Choice" and felt much better :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...