Sam Rivers RIP

david weiss

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WKCR is doing their customary memorial broadcast. They are playing some great music of Sam Rivers right now.

No kidding. First up when I just tuned in was a track featuring Sam from Tony Williams 'Spring' album. Fabulous !

Sam plus Andrew Hill coming up..

Edited by sidewinder

Note also Sam's virtuosity (on reeds)-- one should NEVER say "effortless" virtuosity because he worked his ass off-- in any number of settings and compare it to X, Y, Z younger "free" "improv" "composer" schmoes who

1) have mediocre at best technique on all their horns

2) have no original compositional ideas

3) aren't even good pasticheurs

Then there are the technically able blowhards with a bounteous collections of jazz hats who couldn't PLAY something interesting if their entire "tribute" discographies depended on it.

Gentleman tooters like Sam, Roscoe, nearly all of Braxton (a few of those standards/homage sets are disposable, half-baked) prove in abundance there are other ways.

SIZZLE!

Anyone ever hear of tapes of Sam's gigs with T-Bone Walker (unlikely) or Dizzy (which must be out there)?

Note also Sam's virtuosity (on reeds)-- one should NEVER say "effortless" virtuosity because he worked his ass off-- in any number of settings and compare it to X, Y, Z younger "free" "improv" "composer" schmoes who

1) have mediocre at best technique on all their horns

2) have no original compositional ideas

3) aren't even good pasticheurs

Then there are the technically able blowhards with a bounteous collections of jazz hats who couldn't PLAY something interesting if their entire "tribute" discographies depended on it.

Unless you can give examples of these "schmoes," and subject your drive-by condemnations to review by the board, you've merely set up a straw man, which does no favor to Sam Rivers. As your post stands now, it's at the rhetorical level of most political discourse in America (which, btw, is not a good thing).

Anyone ever hear of tapes of Sam's gigs with T-Bone Walker (unlikely) or Dizzy (which must be out there)?

I have a VHS tape of this gig, which I recorded off the TV when it was broadcast at the time. It's pretty good, musically. For Sam, it was just another gig; at one point, during someone else's solo, you can see him in the background yawning very deeply.

I have a VHS tape of this gig, which I recorded off the TV when it was broadcast at the time. It's pretty good, musically. For Sam, it was just another gig; at one point, during someone else's solo, you can see him in the background yawning very deeply.

:lol:

I was wondering about the band with Rivers, Braxton, Holland and Joe Daley. I heard the band broke up because Beatrice Rivers had an argument with Braxton...called him a control freak. Any thoughts folks?

With Beatrice and Sam gone, I wonder if the estate would be interested in releasing anything in the future.

Just wondering, I hope it isn't too early to talk about it.

One of Sam's daughters was very involved with his career, and I suspect she'll want to keep the legacy going. Wasn't there talk at one time of a Mosaic box of tapes from Studio Rivbea?

With Beatrice and Sam gone, I wonder if the estate would be interested in releasing anything in the future.

One of Sam's daughters was very involved with his career, and I suspect she'll want to keep the legacy going. Wasn't there talk at one time of a Mosaic box of tapes from Studio Rivbea?

Man, that would be nice. A Sam Rivers Impulse Mosaic would be real nice too.

Man, that would be nice. A Sam Rivers Impulse Mosaic would be real nice too.

Mosaic released the RivBea set recently. Please follow this link for details.

MS038.jpg

I was wondering about the band with Rivers, Braxton, Holland and Joe Daley. I heard the band broke up because Beatrice Rivers had an argument with Braxton...called him a control freak. Any thoughts folks?

I think that was a one-off, a concert in 1978. Rivers and Braxton played together in Holland's group in 1972 and 1974. "That group played some concerts together, but the contrasting approaches of Braxton and Rivers proved incompatible." See http://www.bb10k.com/RIVERS.disc.html#76.00.00

Sam was in Dizzy's band at Dizzy's 70th birthday concert at Wolf Trap, which was broadcast on PBS.

And another:

Dizzy Gillespie - 70th Birthday Jubilee Session

Theaterhaus

Stuttgart, Germany

27th February 1987

Dizzy Gillespie, tp

regular band (only in 2):

Sam Rivers, ts

Ed Cherry, g

John Lee, b

Ignacio Berroa, dr

surprise guests:

Hank Jones, p (4 - 8)

Eddie Gomez, b (5 - 8)

Ed Thigpen, dr (5 - 8)

Slide Hampton, tb (6 - 8)

Johnny Griffin, ts (6 - 8)

Jon Faddis, tp (7 - 8)

Arturo Sandoval (7 - 8)

I've never heard of any Studio Rivbea tapes, but that doesn't mean there not some in some dusty box.

Here's another photo, Pete.

This was taken on the ground floor, by the way.

357505592_9f87ed18e8_o.jpg

The highlight of the Dizzy at Wolf Trap show was the quintet with Dizzy, Sonny Rollins & Hank Jones. I think Mickey Roker was on drums. Can't remember the bass.

I've never heard of any Studio Rivbea tapes, but that doesn't mean there not some in some dusty box.

Actually, the announcement came courtesy of one of our friends on these boards, Ghost of...

http://indianapublicmedia.org/nightlights/sam-rivers-mosaic-set-november/

and at the time there was a thread here:

It's possible that it was all due to a misapprehension, and it was the Rivbea Orchestra all along.

Edited by Pete C

I think that was a one-off, a concert in 1978. Rivers and Braxton played together in Holland's group in 1972 and 1974. "That group played some concerts together, but the contrasting approaches of Braxton and Rivers proved incompatible." See http://www.bb10k.com/RIVERS.disc.html#76.00.00

I may even have that copy of the Wire that quote is from.

Thanks.

Wow! I've been off-line (on vacation) and missed this news until now. It is truly a great loss. Ever since I first caught on to "outside" jazz Sam Rivers has been one of my favorites. What a remarkable legacy of recordings he left behind. I was lucky to hear him live twice -- once at his loft in NYC and many years later in Seattle. He was magical.

Which reminds me (and I always forget), that "Dimensions & Extensions" didn't come out back in the day. Such an interesting date, in many ways, maybe Sam's first album that realy demonstrated his later writing for larger groups..

Because as much as I adore "Contours" -- among all is BN dates, it's only "Dimensions & Extentions" that really SOUNDS like the writing in Sam's latter, larger group sessions.