Solo Saxophone Tunes

Late

I wanted to put a CDR together for the car of only solo saxophone pieces, and thought I'd ask here for recommendations. Soprano, alto, tenor, baritone, etc. — doesn't matter. I got the idea while listening to unaccompanied Lucky Thompson tracks in the car just the other day.

While I have Braxton's For Alto, and Evan Parker's Monoceros, I'm thinking along more traditional lines — anywhere from Coleman Hawkins' "Picasso" to solo tracks by Lee Konitz. So (though I do love outside tracks), for this CDR nothing too "out."

I'd like to hear your recommendations, of if you've compiled a similar CD. I know I'll put some Warne on the disc, some Rollins (probably "Manhattan") ... but what else?

Thanks!

Steve Coleman has a solo album (I think it'd just come out when I heard Steve a few years ago in KC).

Invisible Paths: First Scattering (2007, Tzadik)

And speaking of M-BASE musicians, I really WISH Gary Thomas had a solo album, with contributions on both tenor and flute - I'm sure it'd float my boat.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Thanks for the recommendations so far! Keep 'em coming!

I didn't know that Steve Coleman had a solo disc. I'll probably purchase a track or two from Amazon (listening to the samples right now). Thanks for the heads-up.

Lacy — oh yeah. Somewhere around 50 CDs/Lps, I think. Strangely enough, his solo Monk work has attracted me the least. (Curses!) I love his own compositions so much more, though I understand they've been informed, if only obliquely at times, by Monk's aesthetic. Remains is an intense disc on hat; maybe my favorite solo Lacy disc. (There are so many!) I still haven't heard Ballets, and would like to.

Not familiar with Tommy Smith. Thanks for the heads-up there too.

I haven't played Arcana Major in a couple of years. Thanks for the reminder!

"Tenderly" is an excellent call. That'll go on the comp. This is exactly why I started the thread. Thanks guys. When I finally put it together, I'll post a tracklist. Ideally it'd have some kind of "narrative," but it doesn't have to.

An aside — I once put "Picasso" on repeat to be able to sing along with/memorize it. That was a weird and somewhat hypnotic experience. I lost count around 23/24 repeats, and the song started to sound like one massive, never-ending soliloquy. The solo tracks that Hawkins laid down for the Selmer company are also great. (I'm going crazy waiting for the Hawkins Mosaic!)

going back to the beginnings:

gene sedric: "saxophone doodle" (may 1937) (the first solo saxophone ever?)

charlie parker: "honeysuckle rose into body and soul" (ca. may/nov. 1940) another first, bird´s first record!

coleman hawkins: "the man i love" (nov. 1955 - live!) (the third solo by hawk!)

keep boppin´

marcel

Please tell me more about these Lucky Thompson solo recordings!!!

It's just one track from his Candid session (Lord, Lord, Am I Ever Gonna Know?), but the whole date is exceptional, and if you're into Lucky, it's a must-have. The track, which splices a solo tenor improvisation between two solo soprano sections, is both easy to follow and worthy of repeated listenings. In fact, the first nine notes I've played over and over: a brief, almost unnoticeable "accident" is turned into a beautiful phrase. (It's not really an accident, per se, but Thompson's line trips a little, and then he makes good use of it.)

Re. the Bluiett — another disc in my collection that I haven't reached for in some time. (Right next to another India Navigation session, Arthur Blythe's Metamorphosis.) Thanks for the reminder.

Now I need to hear that Gene Sedric record! Where can I find it???

Edited by Late

Sonny Rollins' first recorded a cappella performance is "It Could Happen to You" from "The Sound of Sonny" (Riverside, 1957)

Really exquisite playing, especially the introduction and second half of the first full chorus, although the whole thing is a remarkably sustained performance. Also, Dave Liebman has made at least two solo records -- "The Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner"(he overdubbs too) and "Distance Runner" (live concert)

Edited by Mark Stryker

WellI thought of McPhee's many solo recordings, but they are more out than I think Late is looking for.

I distinctly remember listening to that Lucky Thompson album with Shawn, Joe, and Jim in Dallas years ago. I believe there is a long monologue from Lucky on being a musician and the industry. Same record?

Well, I thought of McPhee's many solo recordings, but they are more out than I think Late is looking for.

I distinctly remember listening to that Lucky Thompson album with Shawn, Joe, and Jim in Dallas years ago. I believe there is a long monologue from Lucky on being a musician and the industry. Same record?

Yes, that's the record. I haven't listened to that monologue track in some time though (I burned a copy sans that track).

I do love McPhee, but for this particular project (you're right) I'm looking for shorter, more "inside" tracks. But maybe I better make an "out" compilation too! Of course, then I'd probably only get four or five tracks on the whole CDR. :smirk::winky:

I read somewhere a long time ago (Downbeat? Late 80's, early 90's?) about Branford Marsalis's affection for Rollins' first a capella track (which I also love). Branford thought it was very cool that Rollins would start recording from some distance away, and then walk up to the mike. I think Mr. Marsalis has even copied this practice in a track or two of his own.