2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

It's that time of year again, although apparently someone forgot to wake up my Sharks in time. They might sneak into the playoffs, but if they can't take the Pacific away from the Kings this week, I don't see any point. If I were a betting man, I'd probably take the Blues in the Western and the Bruins for a repeat in the Eastern. Just a hunch...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Canadian press is making a big deal about how it's theoretically possible that only one Canadian team, Vancouver, will make the playoffs.

Theoretically. But the probability is very high that the Ottawa Senators will make the playoffs, too. It would be good if the Winnipeg Jets slipped in too, but not likely.

Just looked at the standings. Ottawa has clinched a spot; Winnipeg definitely out.

Edited by John Tapscott

John Tortorella, the Ranger's coach, is not happy with the Penguins as a team or an organization. This interview followed the game last night between the two clubs that included a knee to knee hit courtesy of one of the dirtier players in the league, Brooks Orpik. I'll say one thing. There are certainly going to be some interesting match-ups in the early rounds of the SCP.

Yeah, Sid sure was grumpy about Tortella's remarks today. I'd have been more impressed if someone who actually played had commented... ;)

Well, Saturday night is the big battle for the Pacific between the Sharks and the Kings. They hope. Looks like the Coyotes have other ideas...

Not the best day for a Sharks fan as Phoenix made the game irrelevant, but the matchups are set:

Ottawa vs New York

Washington vs Boston

New Jersey vs Florida

Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh

Los Angeles vs Vancouver

San Jose vs St. Louis

Chicago vs Phoenix

Detroit vs Nashville

Damn. The Kings made the Canucks look like chumps in the game tonight. One of those "the score was closer than the game" nights. Philadelphia pulled out what appeared to be a bozo prediction I made at work yesterday by winning in overtime. I wasn't able to catch the Detroit/Nashville game, but at least for one game, I think I may have overestimated Detroit's chances.

At least work was nice enough to give me the day off for the first day!

Damn. The Kings made the Canucks look like chumps in the game tonight. One of those "the score was closer than the game" nights. Philadelphia pulled out what appeared to be a bozo prediction I made at work yesterday by winning in overtime. I wasn't able to catch the Detroit/Nashville game, but at least for one game, I think I may have overestimated Detroit's chances.

At least work was nice enough to give me the day off for the first day!

The first Philadelphia goal that began the Flyers comeback was scored by Danny Briere on a play that was offsides by at least a yard. How the linesman could have missed that call is beyond me. It wasn't even close.

The Wing's loss was not unexpected. They've been a terrible road team all year and now that they don't have home ice advantage, it's going to be a tough row to hoe. I'm curious what discipline the league will mete out to Shea Weber who deliberately tried to injure Henrik Zetterberg at the end of the game by slamming his head into the glass behind the Nashville net. He got a two minute minor that should have been five, but to me, and not speaking as a Wing's fan, that warrants a one game suspension.

I didn't see it, but caught highlights (lowlights?). Loved his response when asked why he was such a dick: "what was I supposed to do?". Hey, if you don't know how to be a classy player, I guess you just don't know. On the other hand, it does make the Flyers impending defeat of the Pens that much more enjoyable.

Speaking of that series, is anyone else jarred out of concentration whenever Jagr's name is mentioned? Confuses the heck out of me...

Really surprised that a Flyers fan can say this with a straight face! No doubt you'll excuse me for not shedding any tears for your innocents.