Here are a couple of their releases that I own and enjoy:

VSOP #5 The Pepper Adams Quintet

VSOP #7 The Eddie Costa Quintet

VSOP #8 Warne Marsh:Music For Prancing

VSOP #13 Victor Feldman on Vibes

VSOP #16 The Frank Rosolino 5

VSOP #17 The Richie Kamuca Quartet

VSOP #18 The Mel Lewis Sextet

For Starters..............................................................................................

Here are a couple of their releases that I own and enjoy:

VSOP #5 The Pepper Adams Quintet

VSOP #7 The Eddie Costa Quintet

VSOP #8 Warne Marsh:Music For Prancing

VSOP #13 Victor Feldman on Vibes

VSOP #16 The Frank Rosolino 5

VSOP #17 The Richie Kamuca Quartet

VSOP #18 The Mel Lewis Sextet

For Starters..............................................................................................

Here's their website.

A very fine label indeed!

I have all the ones Out2Lunch listed.

The Eddie Costa is great, as is the Warne Marsh. The Kamuca, Feldman and Rosolino or other favorites of mine.

There's also a rather nice Marty Paich trio CD, a good Conte Candoli 4 disc, and one by Herbie Harper. The Marty Paich feat. Pepper is another one I like, and the Don Fagerquist octet I really like, too.

Then the Oscar Moore quartet disc (on Tampa originally, while all the above ones were on the Mode label) is another really cool disc - with Carl Perkins.

And a good Stan Levey disc's there, too...

What you have to be aware is that most of these CDs clock in at around 30 minutes (which I have no problem with).

ubu

Marcus, if you want to hear these before you buy I'll be playing about 4 or 5 of them on my radio program featuring Carl Perkins this Wednesday. I'll post more info when things are finalized, but we will be playing the Pepper Adams, Richie Kamuca, Oscar Moore, and Victor Feldman, and possibly the Piano Playhouse album too.

One more VSOP recommendation to add to this list of very worthy titles:

The Wright Approach by Dempsey Wright. It's got Wright on guitar with Richie Kamuca, Victor feldman, Ben Tucker, and Stan Levey. All arranged and produced by Bill Holman.

Marcus,

These are all great. I really love them, especially the Pepper Adams cd. That is just fantastic Pepper. I believe there's also a Stan Levey one that's very good. And so is the Conde Candoli. If you can get them all. BTW, there happens to be a copy of the Stan Levey cd on Ebay right now.

Edited by Brad

these are the ones that i have seen available so far:

Gabe Baltazar - Back In Action

Conte Candoli Quartet

John Metzger - The Spinner

Marty Paich Trio

Eddie Costa Quintet

Herbie Harper Sextet

that's what i remember. 9 USD approx for each one

thanks once again

Marcus Oliveira

Of those I would say target the Candoli, the Costa and/or the Harper.

yep :tup

and add the Paich if you can afford AND like some real LIGHT piano trio jazz. Red Mitchell and Mel Lewis aboard, it's a cool disc, in my opinion (though I guess not everybody likes Paich the pianist that well...)

The Costa is absolute first class, in my opinion!

ubu

• 2 years later...

I have the Holman/Orbit and the Fagerquist album on this label. I thought it was called Eight By Eight. But on their site it's tagged Music To Fill A Void. Huh?

Has anyone bought from their site? The price is pretty good compared to World Records.

And that Virgil Gonsalves Big Band disc has me intrigued. I've dug him ever since he did all thet long, hot blowing with Duke at Newport.

Edited by kenny weir

• 2 years later...

Up for air. This is such a great label making so many MODE titles available at reasonable prices, plus even more obscure lables such as Hollywood and Tampa. Hard to believe that Mode got so many great artists and yet they never seem to obtain the same popularity as Blue Note and Prestige.

I can't recommend these enough:

Pepper Adams Quintet

Eddie Costa Quintet

Frank Rosolino Quintet

Mel Lewis Sextet

Warne Marsh-Music for Prancing

Vic Feldman on the vibes