Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally wrapped up Midnight's Children. Just didn't do that much for me this time around -- too many digressions and simply too long. I doubt I'll read it a third time. I am somewhat curious how the movie turned out (that was at least part of the reason for tackling this again).

I have been struggling through Amado's The War of the Saints. Finally made it to the halfway mark and he is introducing even more plot complications. But I find that I am completely uninterested in any of the characters and their problems. Time to bail on this. I really don't understand as I liked most of his other novels, but this was a very late novel and perhaps he was trying to hard to do something "literary."

But I did enjoy Greene's Travels with my Aunt. The narrator, Henry, is the straightest of straight men observing the madcap adventures of his 75-year old aunt. Ripped through this in 3-4 days (just so glad to be back to something fun).

About to tackle Atwood's Lady Oracle. Certainly not expecting it to be as fun as the Greene but hopefully not as dire as some of the other books I have read recently. It too appears to be a bit too long for its own good.

Finished Atwood's Lady Oracle. Definitely more entertaining than I was expecting, though goodness knows the main character made a bunch of strange and sometimes outright foolish decisions. There are some interesting parallels to Cat's Eye.

Another Canadian novel for the time being Powning's The Sea Captain's Wife (and then Malone's Handling Sin after that):

Powning.jpg

Once a year, I splurge on some chess books, with a preference to annotated game collections. Bought four really nice ones this late winter, have been dipping into them, all are excellent. The latter two are older, I finally broke down and purchased them...

Aron Nimzowitsch: On the Road to Chess Mastery, 1886-1924, by Per Skjoldager and Jørn Erik Nielsen

9780786465392_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

The Stress of Chess..., by Walter Browne

51i5nEVhmEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Victor Bologan: Selected Games 1985-2004; Victor Bologan

jw82bolo.jpg

My One Hundred Best Games; Alexey Dreev

jw82dreev.jpg

Lydia Davis' Collected Stories : I read two dozens of them, mostly from her first and last collection, and I'm... perplex: she comes highly recommended to say the least; I found her stories to be OK at best, almost always missing something (style, perspective, humor, emotion...). I realize I'm in the minority !

Before: Denis Johnson's "Angels". Johnson sometimes wallows in his characters' miseries and the book can be a little depressing...but still, an exceptional writer and some the most vivid prose out there !

Edited by Simon8

51WErv%2BeMyL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Third of Bruce's Cambridge (the proper one) based crime novels.

41zqYENFsxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not brilliantly written - basically a fan's account relying mainly on interviews with musicians, journalists and fans. But it tells the tale without attempting to relate Colosseum to the dialectics of post-capitalist disfunctionalism.

51qPMfhzEAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Saw this referred to above and it was on sale for sixpence next to the eggs in Sainsbury's.

51WErv%2BeMyL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Third of Bruce's Cambridge (the proper one) based crime novels.

41zqYENFsxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not brilliantly written - basically a fan's account relying mainly on interviews with musicians, journalists and fans. But it tells the tale without attempting to relate Colosseum to the dialectics of post-capitalist disfunctionalism.

51qPMfhzEAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Saw this referred to above and it was on sale for sixpence next to the eggs in Sainsbury's.

I think you'll find it's all it's cracked up to be. :w

Dickens' "Our Mutual Friend"

Never got into Dickens before, but this one is doing it for me.

Until about ten years ago, I could never get more than a few pages into any Dickens book. Apparently, as I got older, someone changed the content of the books as I enjoy them now...

Same thing happened with me about eight years ago with Trollope. Beginning with "The Eustace Diamonds" -- a lucky choice because the central figure, Lizzie Eustace, is such a fascinatingly detailed and psychologically plausible (by any standard) "monstrous" character that the notion that Trollope was complacent or a fuddy-duddy was instantly erased. Since then I've read a lot of Trollope with unfailing pleasure; he's one of the greats IMO. I'd read "Barchester Towers' in college because I had to and had no clue at the time; Trollope's probably not for guys in their early 20s.

BTW, if anyone thinks of Trollope as too genteel to deal with the rougher/uglier sides of human life, the Lucinda Roanoke-Sir Griffin Tewitt subplot in "The Eustace Diamonds" is an eye-opener. Roanoke, a very athletic, somewhat mannish young American woman of means whose aunt is trying to marry her off to a titled Englishman, attracts the attentions of the seemingly eligible (by the aunt's standards) but brutish Tewitt, who is well aware that Roanoke, who detests most men, detests him in particular. But this is just the sauce that Tewitt's emotional-sexual tastes require -- well aware of Roanoke's feelings toward him, what he most wants to do is to dominate and figuratively, legally (even literally if it comes to that) rape her. And Trollope doesn't flinch in the telling or the resolution.

Until about ten years ago, I could never get more than a few pages into any Dickens book. Apparently, as I got older, someone changed the content of the books as I enjoy them now...

Same thing happened with me about eight years ago with Trollope. Beginning with "The Eustace Diamonds" -- a lucky choice because the central figure, Lizzie Eustace, is such a fascinatingly detailed and psychologically plausible (by any standard) "monstrous" character that the notion that Trollope was complacent or a fuddy-duddy was instantly erased. Since then I've read a lot of Trollope with unfailing pleasure; he's one of the greats IMO. I'd read "Barchester Towers' in college because I had to and had no clue at the time; Trollope's probably not for guys in their early 20s.

I think Trollope is almost criminally overlooked. I find that it takes a week or so to really adjust to Trollope's rythmes. Probably a slightly harder adjustment than Dickens. I basically read the Palliser series and one or two others. I do hope in a year or two to go through the others that I own (Barsetshire Chronicles, The Three Clerks, He Knew He Was Right, The Way We Live Now and a few others) and then maybe will be ready to reread the Pallisers (I did read them in my 20s and would pick up on very different aspects of the books now).

f2e4c27a02a0a97d70cdb110.L._AA300_.jpg

I think Lanchester gets into his stride with Capital and hadn't got it together with this earlier novel.

I didn't think I was going to enjoy 'Capital' after a few chapters - not keen on books where the tale almost starts again chapter after a chapter as new characters appear. But I'm gripped now. Really want to see Roger and Amanda get their come-uppance!

BTW, if anyone thinks of Trollope as too genteel to deal with the rougher/uglier sides of human life, the Lucinda Roanoke-Sir Griffin Tewitt subplot in "The Eustace Diamonds" is an eye-opener. Roanoke, a very athletic, somewhat mannish young American woman of means whose aunt is trying to marry her off to a titled Englishman, attracts the attentions of the seemingly eligible (by the aunt's standards) but brutish Tewitt, who is well aware that Roanoke, who detests most men, detests him in particular. But this is just the sauce that Tewitt's emotional-sexual tastes require -- well aware of Roanoke's feelings toward him, what he most wants to do is to dominate and figuratively, legally (even literally if it comes to that) rape her. And Trollope doesn't flinch in the telling or the resolution.

Hmmm. And free for Kindle. Guess I'll have to subject my eyes to the strain once again...