Now reading...

beware - bad book full of mistakes of both fact and emphasis -

Yes, I'm treating it as a somewhat novelistic treatment of LB's life. I'll keep an eye out for THE ESSENTIAL LENNY BRUCE--I'm really eager to find something reasonably well-written about him. Been listening to that Shout! Factory compilation, though the set I picked up had no booklet--and also used an LB track for this week's Night Lights--hence my renewed interest in him right now.

So, is Annie Ross supposed to be the LB love interest that Goldman refers to as "the member of a highly successful vocalese trio?"

Currently reading J.G. Farrell's THE SINGAPORE GRIP.

Edited by ghost of miles

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Farrell------His best work was the "Siege of Krishnapur" IMHO. How he could make such humor out of all that blood is forever beyond me. Let us know how the newer Farrell is. Haven't yet read it.

Do you know how Farrel died. Strange that!

I'm hoping to eventually read SIEGE. He died fishing, didn't he? Pulled out to sea and drowned?

• 2 weeks later...

Currently reading Antony Beevor's PARIS AFTER THE LIBERATION. This is the same author who wrote THE FALL OF BERLIN 1945 and STALINGRAD... good, accessible historian. (Entertaining, too... he has a great quote from somebody saying, "There's no doubt that De Gaulle loves France... he just doesn't like Frenchmen.") I'd like to read his book on the Spanish Civil War as well.

Edited by ghost of miles

0553804367.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I was going to wait for the briefest history to come out, but figured this will have to do in the meantime.

I actually didn't much care for this. By trying to make the material more accessible he took a lot of the meat out of it, I thought. And the new illustration were strangely annoying. But hey, maybe it's just me...