Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Boom! Tom Brokaw. Nice review of 60s politics and culture with interviews with survivors.

Cinnamon Kiss. Walter Mosley is in a class of his own, with a sharp and distinctive prose voice that is a pleasure to the eyes and ears. Easy Rawlins is one of my favorite fictional "detectives", side by side with Phillip Marlowe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Started on a huge undertaking: reading all volumes of Thomas Mann's "Joseph in Egypt" books in the new translation by John Woods. Only 1600 pages or so. . . .

Well, I'm still reading this a month later. . .but I only have 300 pages to go! I'm into "Joseph the Provider." Fascinating stuff, nice translation.

several Flannery O'Connor stories

Always good stuff!

I've gotten on my occasional James M. Cain jag this week. Yesterday was Double Indemnity, today was The Postman Always Rings Twice. Probably go with Mildred Pierce tomorrow, Love's Lovely Counterfeit on Saturday and then Serenade on Sunday. It usually runs down about there, but we'll see...

Can't take The Butterfly anymore; gives me Pia Zadora nightmares! :lol:

515DMbaR2ZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Wonderful...can we have more women writing military history, please. Doesn't get bogged down in units, divisions and the minutiae of weaponry. Instead, tells a fantastic narrative tale with social history woven in along the way.

I ended it with a sense of Henry V as a real, modern person making decisions like rulers today have to make.

Popular history at its best.

Edited by Bev Stapleton