Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the not at all serious side, Florida Road Kill by Tim Dorsey. I can't recall reading a book that's made me laugh out loud at least a half a dozen times, and that's in just the first 60 pages. If you didn't know you could be killed by a pair of Levis 501's, a Barbie Doll or the Space Shuttle, then this is the book for you. As one of the back-of-the-jacket reviews says, "Imagine Hunter Thompson and Groucho Marx sharing a by-line." I couldn't say it any better.

After reading this post in an attempt to find something good to read, I went to the library and picked up Cadillac Dreams (will get to FR eventually). This one is hilarious as well. Thanks for recommending this guy, Dave! :tup

I am on my third chunk of that right now, I get to a point where I start getting angry and have to put it down.

It does make you angry. And Fisk is not afraid to show his anger, especially about the way politicians and the media gloss over complexities.

Two other sections of the book really unnerved me - the description of the carnage on the road out of Kuwait as the Iraqi army retreated in 1991; and his lengthy account of the impact of the 1990s sanctions on Iraq.

And I really knew very little about what has been happening in Algeria.

51SgqTtw1rL._.jpg

Really enjoying this - built from a series of interviews with Konitz + short interviews with other musicians about him.

He comes across as someone with a clear vision of what he wants to do, is not afraid to express his disinterest in things he does not like, even criticises...yet always does it humbly and with a sense that the music he does not care for is seeking different goals rather than being 'wrong'. Very open about his own initial hostility to music which he later came to understand.

• 4 weeks later...

Picked this up from the library last week.

the%20celts%202%20bk.jpg

Lightweight on history, heavy on illustrations, but a decent overview, which is all I wanted.

Now started reading this

zulu.jpg

It's my wife's book. But she gave up on page 55, so I'm having a go. I suspect it's rather too full of foot by foot accounts of the battles and, if that's the case, I'll probably give up, too :)

MG

Fingersmithcover.jpg

A page turner supreme.

I'll get to this one day. Have you read The Night Watch, also by Waters? I enjoyed it, though I admit it left me wanting more (perhaps an epilogue that returned to "the present" after WWII and explained a few more details). But on the whole very interesting.

Fingersmithcover.jpg

A page turner supreme.

I'll get to this one day. Have you read The Night Watch, also by Waters? I enjoyed it, though I admit it left me wanting more (perhaps an epilogue that returned to "the present" after WWII and explained a few more details). But on the whole very interesting.

No, this is the first book I've read by her. I might try Affinity next.

Quantam Physics for Dummies

OK, you win - I've got to ask. Is that real?

MG

As real as The Rusty Bed by I. P. Knightley.

EDIT: Apologies! Just found Einstein for Dummies on Amazon!

Edited by BillF