Now reading...

William D Clancy, Woody Herman: Chronicles of the Herds. Largely verbatim recollections by Hermanites and associates over the years, with the author providing only linking passages. Yet very readable. The account of Woody's final sufferings through ill health and pursuit by the IRS was very moving.

Edited by BillF

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Reading Willa Cather's The Troll Garden. Cather is one of those writers that I didn't think too much of in my younger days, but now, I find there is a lot more depth to her work than I ever thought. On a side note. I love this section about Cather from the chronology section in the LOA edition for 1888:

Interest in science leads to experiments with dissection and vivisection, attracting criticism from neighbors. Enters in friend's album her ideal of happiness as "amputating limbs" and favorite pastime as "slicing toads."

Willa was tough.

Edited by Matthew

Alan Robertson, Joe Harriott: Fire in his Soul

Cool! I'd like to check that out.

I'm finding it very readable, though that may because I knew a lot of the people - including Joe - and went to a lot of the gigs described. It certainly gives an accurate picture of the very distinctive British jazz scene of those days

Finished Richard Russo's Nobody's Fool a couple of days ago. A number of scenes from the film Nobody's Fool were filmed in my old hometown, and I saw the film some years ago - very fine film. I hadn't read the novel until now, and it's more fleshed out than the film, as is to be expected. It's funny - I was able to read the novel without imagining any of the actors from the film, except for one. I couldn't get Paul Newman's image out of my mind whenever I read anything about Sully - the main character in the novel and the film. That speaks volumes about how well he played that role.

Finished Richard Russo's Nobody's Fool a couple of days ago. A number of scenes from the film Nobody's Fool were filmed in my old hometown, and I saw the film some years ago - very fine film. I hadn't read the novel until now, and it's more fleshed out than the film, as is to be expected. It's funny - I was able to read the novel without imagining any of the actors from the film, except for one. I couldn't get Paul Newman's image out of my mind whenever I read anything about Sully - the main character in the novel and the film. That speaks volumes about how well he played that role.

I was a fan of that film too. Until now, I thought I was the only one in America who was.

I was a fan of that film too. Until now, I thought I was the only one in America who was.

It had some popularity in this area (Hudson Valley - NY state) because it was filmed here, but probably was ignored everywhere else. A shame, because it's a very good film. The film was pretty true to the novel, so you probably would like the novel too.

It had some popularity in this area (Hudson Valley - NY state) because it was filmed here, but probably was ignored everywhere else. A shame, because it's a very good film. The film was pretty true to the novel, so you probably would like the novel too.

For that reason I've been meaning to read the novel all these years. One of the things that made the film so appealing to me was how the Hudson Valley where it was shot reminded me so strongly of my native New England---the trees, winter snow, architecture, the occassional decaying mill town... Gotta love it.

Edited by BruceH

I'm definitely a fan of this film- I've seen it several times and really enjoy all the performances. Just got the DVD.

BTW, now reading Anthony Bourdain's "Kitchen Confidential". Great read so far.

Edited by Free For All

I'm about a third of the way through Paul Nugent's "Africa since independence"

51DBS80AD4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Interesting academic study, complete with the usual arguments between academics. But well written and illumines just how constrained many (most) of the politicians were who took their states out of colonialism - many, even some of the bad hats, seem to have made the least worst decisions under the circumstances.

MG

Finished this last night. Slow going, but very good description of almost total disaster, with almost no signs of hope at the end.

MG

512cHQ35ojL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Christopher Moore. My Mother recently turned me onto this writer and I've been laughing non-stop ever since. I've also read Bloodsucking Freaks: A Love Story. I can tell already that I'll be picking up all of his books. The next ones I'm most interested in getting are Lamb (the gospel according to Jesus' best friend Biff) and The Lust Lizard Of Melancholy Cove (surely one of the coolest titles ever).

Edited by Shawn